HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Here's a revised lower wing Lozenge pattern that can be used to make decals.

I need to make an upper wing pattern, but haven't gotten around to it, yet... plus you'd need to disassemble the plane to install that one.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Very nice decals! Posted are the cowl panels, hatches and some other little fittings. I installed the cowl panels in the following order with ZAP canopy glue. 1st, the big section with the strut cut outs. 2nd, the front band, put the seam at the top and trim it so there is no overlap. 3rd, the front side pieces. they will overlap the other two and each other at the front top. Give it a try!

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Those are great. Thanks, DJ.

Does anyone have any detail on a windscreen? Is there one?

I want to try to make LED flashing Machine guns and work on the cockpit area.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
Very nice decals! DJ
The Decals use a low resolution wing mask over a high resolution Lozenge pattern, put together in Word. I need to make Higher resolution Wing masks for the Upper and Lower wings, then I can easily swap in different lozenge patterns / change the rib welting colors on the wing masks, etc.

The lower wing mask was made from blowing up and tracing a tiny 3-view. I think I've found some higher resolution 3 views to use.

Then we just need someone to make decals.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:43 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,333 Posts
If it pushes anyone over the edge for KIEF, I have Dave's model in my office and am driving over to the show tonight. It will be there all day tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and it is GORGEOUS in person!

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Last edited by Thayer; Oct 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,535 Posts
I'm at KIEF, at can't wait to see it!! I bought a damaged one from strouse here at RCGroups. I want to do a custom color scheme for it when I get the replacement parts. I'm sure his will give me some inspiration.
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Since my Albatros has a Sukhoi motor, its a Tank compared to everyone elses Albatros, so i figure that I'll be breaking stuff before everyone else.

Here is the latest weak point we discovered and the fix we are trying. When Landing gear are available and i build one from pieces, I'm going to incorporate carbon strip across the whole flat of th top wing (by Notching the Cabane Struts at the top to let the carbon strip pass through)... since the next weak point is the wing just outside the cabane strut.

The top wing creased and tore along the centerline. No Crashes caused this. Just high G flying and one of the V wing struts coming unglued in flight, resulting in the upper wing folding up.

The Joint was UHU'd and a .040" CF rod was epoxied between the cabanes to the wing.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:21 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,333 Posts
The Last Flight

Dave Johnson was kind enough to send me his custom Albatros to fly at KIEF this last weekend, and somehow I resisted the temptation to keep it. Before handing it off to Mr. UPS this afternoon though, I needed one more fix.

It was nearly flat calm when I got to the office this morning, so I rounded up Walter and Erick for documentation and ventured out to a local park with a charged battery for my last dance. This was the first time this beauty has soared in the sunlight.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Last edited by Thayer; Oct 19, 2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: 'cause I am an editor
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:13 PM
caveo hun in sol solis
USA, NY, Levittown
Joined Jul 2010
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
Dave Johnson was kind enough to send me his custom Albatros to fly at KIEF this last weekend, and somehow I resisted the temptation to keep it. Before handing it off to Mr. UPS this afternoon though, I needed on last fix.

It was nearly flat calm when I got to the office this morning, so I rounded up Walter and Erick for documentation and ventured out to a local park with a charged battery for one last dance. This was the first time this beauty has soared in the sunlight.

Thayer
Very nice work!!!
enemyace19 is offline Find More Posts by enemyace19
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:31 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
are replacement parts available yet?

My brick popped loose in flight last night and destroyed my recently repaired lower wing...now I need a new one.

Swapping in the PZ guts while Im at it.
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
Bethesda, MD
Joined Jul 2006
385 Posts
Shawn: Yes, most parts are available @ Tower.

Wing set:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZXJ6&P=M

One thing that they don't seem to sell is a replacement decal set, but if your upper wing is still okay you don't need to worry about that.
WRXpilot is offline Find More Posts by WRXpilot
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:53 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
Shawn: Yes, most parts are available @ Tower.

Wing set:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZXJ6&P=M

One thing that they don't seem to sell is a replacement decal set, but if your upper wing is still okay you don't need to worry about that.
This just in.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com:80/cgi-...&P=IA&I=LXZXN7

Also possibly available from Hobbico or FlyZone direct, under part number HCA6353.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:16 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Maltese cross decal file attached
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:23 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
wow, so if you reuse your plastic bits a replacement airframe is about $20.

sweet
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
the is the graphic I have on my vert-stab... (my wife)

hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks