HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:02 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Currently I have Aux1 and Aux2 open as I am only using TV on rudder...So I can switch my right aileron to Aux1 and keep my left aileron on AIL channel...(Or is it the other way around?)...

I wish I was smart enough to think how to create the scale airbrake mod. Now that would be eye-catching!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Aros,

I fly with TV on always, but you can turn it off and on if you have it on a switch as I do. If your scared about the TV put it on a switch. Also don't pull completely back on you elevator inputs.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Currently I have Aux1 and Aux2 open as I am only using TV on rudder...So I can switch my right aileron to Aux1 and keep my left aileron on AIL channel...(Or is it the other way around?)...

I wish I was smart enough to think how to create the scale airbrake mod. Now that would be eye-catching!
An airbrake mod would be similar to the su35 airbrake mod I did, just the locations are a lol aft on the f18 compared to the su35. Shoot me a pm if you'd like pictures.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
LOL! That's because that is a screen cap of MY RealFlight G6 F-18.

Sorry, I didn't mean to misslead...I just knew I could get a shot of what I was talking about using my RF6 F-18.

LOL, I knew something was up when I saw doors for the main gear along with the gear being white. As soon as I downloaded the full size photo & figured it out.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
First Flight

I took mine out for the maiden voyage today - Very impressive jet! I was floored by how well it performed and was not expecting this smooth of an experience right out of the box.

I modified the battery compartment for my 4000mah pack as was suggested to me for CG reasons earlier in the thread (Thanks!) and gave it the polycrylic treatment along with some deep etched/weathered panel lines (I love the dark contrast in flight; admittedly it looks a little comical and over-the-top on the ground though!) and painted the cockpit and exhaust nozzles to a more scale dark hue. Other than that, this was a stock jet!

Rollout was nearly the same as the larger Su-35, perhaps a little shorter. I fly with TV on a switch, and performed my first takeoff with TV engaged. It did shoot up on me initially, but after I determined the "break point" on the sticks, scale takeoffs became much easier to perform.

One thing that impressed me tremendously about this plane is how true it tracks, both on the ground and in the air - Straight as an arrow! Roll rate was great and TV-off controls were solid.

I had to land a little hot, but without flaps in play, I was expecting it- Nothing overly demanding though. During the first landing I had TV switched off. For the second attempt, I left it on and had to perform a go-around. I wasn't quite ready for the ever-so-slight difference between the nozzle angle and the stab angle. With throttle, it wanted to nose-up on me by a very small amount, so when I let off the power it dropped the nose just enough to scare me off. I decided that landings would be better TV-off for the first few flights before I re-address things and try it again. 3 more landings without TV engaged, uneventful - Airspeed is your friend though!

This V2 F/A-18 just looks incredible in flight, and the control is amazing. I like how the single, well-balanced 90mm fan doesn't drink the battery as rapidly as the large EDF twins do (I miss the twin sound a little though) I got a good 4 minutes tonight and had power to spare on the 4000mah pack.

I'd have to say that this is in my top-3 EDF's overall. It's a powerful package with plenty of speed and handling, while managing a respectable glide profile and fine detail. I wanted to be sure it would fly well before I continue customizing it, but since it has proven its place in the fleet I'm going to do some scale details in the next few days - I think it needs some antennas and sensors soon!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Congrats on the maiden.

Ros,

How's your su-35 coming along?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Oct 2006
220 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this model. Has anyone compared the GensAce 4000/6S/25C with the Nanotechs 4000/6S/45C? My experience with GensAce is that they are normally underrated a bit. I am planning to use the Changesun 12 bladed fan with a 1600KV motor.
Thanks,
Ralph E is online now Find More Posts by Ralph E
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Roswalt! Isn't she a beauty?

You are right about it's tracking both on the ground and in the air. I am so used to my planes (EDF and Warbirds alike) tracking like a drunk's behind the controls before rotation...If this plane tracked as poorly as many of the planes I've had, there's no way I would be able to get her off the ground at my school as there's curbs everywhere.

You are braver than me having TV activated for your maiden. I will turn it on here in the next few flights or so. I just want to know this plane inside and out before I do that. I still plan on the flaperon mix and I'm reaaaaaally jonesing to do that scale air brake mod if I can manage it.

I would have to put this at my #1 slot for best EDF I've flown overall. QC and flight dynamics puts it at the top for me. What are your other top 2?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Quote:
Congrats on the maiden Roswalt! Isn't she a beauty?

You are right about it's tracking both on the ground and in the air. I am so used to my planes (EDF and Warbirds alike) tracking like a drunk's behind the controls before rotation...If this plane tracked as poorly as many of the planes I've had, there's no way I would be able to get her off the ground at my school as there's curbs everywhere.

You are braver than me having TV activated for your maiden. I will turn it on here in the next few flights or so. I just want to know this plane inside and out before I do that. I still plan on the flaperon mix and I'm reaaaaaally jonesing to do that scale air brake mod if I can manage it.

I would have to put this at my #1 slot for best EDF I've flown overall. QC and flight dynamics puts it at the top for me. What are your other top 2?
lol @ drunk tracking - I'm totally with you. This is a notable exception! And yes, truly gorgeous in flight.

My other top two would be the LX single 70mm F-22 and the new Freewing Su-35. The Su-35 is probably #1 in many ways including TWR and modular design, but this F-18 is better for me personally. I like that it is an American jet, it is far easier to fit in the cars (Corvette or Outlander) without having to be extra creative, and for being much kinder to my batteries. The Su-35 spanks the pants off of it in terms of sheer power and size, but that comes at a cost. I haven't owned this F-18 long enough to rank it ahead of my all-time favorite, the single LX 70mm F-22 (form factor, agility, glide, convenience, looks, my love of 5th gen US fighters, etc.) but that's a far simpler EDF and admittedly not in the same class as this FW F/A-18E. All 3 are top notch planes.

V8 - The Su-35 has been done for a while now, and I've already got it on the "For Sale" circuit here in town as well as RCG. Although it is tops in class, at the end of the day I found it too cumbersome for my everyday brand of lazy-man's transportation to the flight line, and my 4000mah battery barely got me to 3 minutes without risk of smoking the pack. In those 3 minutes however, I've done things I never dared attempt with any other model. The hover was incredible and snap loops had me wondering if the jet might break in two! At the end of the day, with my change of permanent duty station looming near I'm only going to take 3 (maybe 4) planes with me, and that one is just too big to make the trip safely (Although it does disassemble nicely!) - And no, micros don't count! Those have convenient little boxes, you see!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Ya it can be a pain, thankfully I have a pickup. Too bad you gotta let'er go. But the f18e will fill in really nicely.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Is the LX 70mm F-22 that super scale version BH sells?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph E View Post
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this model. Has anyone compared the GensAce 4000/6S/25C with the Nanotechs 4000/6S/45C? My experience with GensAce is that they are normally underrated a bit. I am planning to use the Changesun 12 bladed fan with a 1600KV motor.
Thanks,
I just researched batteries and the answer is gens ace 25c! The 45c nano techs only produced like 17c continuous true measured c rating. The gens ace produces 22c continuous and is the best battery for the money.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
+1 on the gens I've had all brands and gens is the best and price.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:33 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
I just researched batteries and the answer is gens ace 25c! The 45c nano techs only produced like 17c continuous true measured c rating. The gens ace produces 22c continuous and is the best battery for the money.
GOOD to know!! Does anyone have a link to the best prices and inventory?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:28 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
+1 on the gens I've had all brands and gens is the best and price.
+2....awesome packs.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1