HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
You can get away with a cc bec 10a, but a cc bec pro 20a would be better. The cc bec which I had in the plane did the job but it's at the upper end /limit of its specs. I've never had 1 fail in 6s, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I now run cc bec pro 20a on 6s and up. $10-$15 difference between the 2.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the cc bec pro 20 is the way to go then...I guess I can have my LHS soder for me...In the meantime is it okay to fly it stock?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
Yup! I flew mine stock for awhile, until I lost her on a deans solder melting. Never had the problems people had mentioned about the esc, but figured since my 2nd plane was an airframe might as well spend the extra cash and do it up & so i wouldn't have to worry. These are just recommendations that have been posted back earlier in the thread & stuff I've done from experiences on different edf setups & piece of mind. So she should be fine.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Good to know...Yeah like I said I've only used external BECs twice in six years and that's one failure out of probably 30 or 40 planes in that span where an external BEC would have saved it. As we all know redundancy is gold in this hobby so I can see the reason people use them in their planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:06 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
I have a 6s 5000 battery all ready to go with the proper CG. However, it's a big brick at 813 grams. Do you guy's think it will still be okay or is that too much weight? I have a decent sized parking lot I fly at but it already eats up most of it before lift off with the two 3s...I'm concerned I will run out of room on the takeoff roll with the added weight...Any ideas?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I have a 6s 5000 battery all ready to go with the proper CG. However, it's a big brick at 813 grams. Do you guy's think it will still be okay or is that too much weight? I have a decent sized parking lot I fly at but it already eats up most of it before lift off with the two 3s...I'm concerned I will run out of room on the takeoff roll with the added weight...Any ideas?
you may need flaperons...
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
you may need flaperons...
Agreed. Earlier in the thread, I detailed how mine would not take off from my grass runway without flaperons. That is probably because I disabled the TV, but it takes off in no time with the flaperons. I also modified mine to accept larger wheels.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:19 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Is there a link to a flaperon mod for a DX7? I've already got the mixing setup for this bird but don't know what to tweak to get the flaperons activated without messing up the rest of my mixing...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aros; Feb 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
Mike, I was gonna mention to Aros rhat disabling the TV would have that effect on takeoff distance.

Aros u may want to enable TV or do the flaperons.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
I flew my HL F/A-18E Hornet at my local junior high school this morning with the 6s and the takeoff went fine. Used about the same real estate as my 3s setup. Of course with high rates with the elevator there's no scale looking takeoff. One moment she's flying down the runway and the next her nose is dang-near straight up. Not scale but sure as heck beats smashing it into a curb at WOT. So anyhow I was done flying and set up for final. It was just moments away from turning into a million pieces of Blue Angel Dust when I came in for a landing waaaaay too hot. The winds were swirling like mad, crosswinds, up drafts, down drafts...Washing Machine Weather. The worst.

I somehow miraculously saved her by punching up full power as the embankment approached at lightning speed...Right as the nose gear left the pavement and was literally half-a-second from smashing into the embankment the nose pointed straight up (miracle #1). I banked her hard right, flew her in between thick trees (miracle #2) and shot her into the sky triumphantly like a Phoenix rising from the ashes! The only thing missing was the angels signing "HALLELUJAH!"
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
I know it's scary when stuff like that happens, but that's how u learn how a plane will land. Once you master the landings you'll look back and laugh. Good save though. I almost had a similar incident with my freewing su35, I did a drag chute & airbrake mod to it. N e how when I deployed the chute in my 3rd flight she suddenly shot to the right...i guess from the sudden pull. She headed towards a curb and I was able to save her from hitting it.

N e how TV will also help on landings you'll be able to slow her down to almost a crawl and pretty much drop her down and roll no more than 10 ft.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
So do you just leave TV on from start to stop? I just am afraid it will go into high alpha or a flat spin or something wonky when I'm trying to land...You can tell I'm a TV newb, lol.

As for the landing, what's funny is that my maiden landing was picture perfect. Came in with the perfect glide slope, airspeed and flared her perfectly where the nose dropped ever so gingerly on the ground, nice smooth landing roll out. This time the swirling wind got in my head and I was afraid of stalling out on final so I added more throttle...Obviously too much!

You know what would be completely bad to the bone? A scale airbrake mod! Where a servo pushes up the airbrake vertically between the stabs just like the FS. How sweet would THAT be?!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
So do you just leave TV on from start to stop? I just am afraid it will go into high alpha or a flat spin or something wonky when I'm trying to land...You can tell I'm a TV newb, lol.

As for the landing, what's funny is that my maiden landing was picture perfect. Came in with the perfect glide slope, airspeed and flared her perfectly where the nose dropped ever so gingerly on the ground, nice smooth landing roll out. This time the swirling wind got in my head and I was afraid of stalling out on final so I added more throttle...Obviously too much!

You know what would be completely bad to the bone? A scale airbrake mod! Where a servo pushes up the airbrake vertically between the stabs just like the FS. How sweet would THAT be?!
That would be cool, Aros. Man you have to make a vid of that baby tearing up the sky!
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:

She looks exactly like the FA-18 on my RealFlight G6 SIM. Gorgeous!
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom7435 View Post
She looks exactly like the FA-18 on my RealFlight G6 SIM. Gorgeous!
LOL! That's because that is a screen cap of MY RealFlight G6 F-18.

Sorry, I didn't mean to misslead...I just knew I could get a shot of what I was talking about using my RF6 F-18.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Is there a link to a flaperon mod for a DX7? I've already got the mixing setup for this bird but don't know what to tweak to get the flaperons activated without messing up the rest of my mixing...
you would require an extra channel for your ailerons... wouldnt work with dx7, unless you disable TV
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23