SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Thanks! Should be complete by Friday or Saturday...
was gonna say there's a few details missing, but guess u ain't done.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Here's a couple shots before I put the final yellow trim and decals on her. Testor's "gloss dark blue" is definitely more of a sky blue so I am bummed about that. It still looks good and unmistakable as a Blue Angel, but the base color should be more of a navy blue. Oh well.
Now thats talent, Aros. Very nice!
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom7435 View Post
Now thats talent, Aros. Very nice!
Very appreciated!

Here she is with all the yellow trim painted. Now I'm just waiting for the decals from Callie Graphics and she'll be finished...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,594 Posts
I'm jealous!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Very appreciated!

Here she is with all the yellow trim painted. Now I'm just waiting for the decals from Callie Graphics and she'll be finished...
$@*%! That is bad to the bone, man. I wish that was an option when I ordered mine from Hobby-Lobby. Callie Graphics is the best. She created the warthog nose art and misc. decals for my HET 70mm A-10 Warthog. I cant wait to see your F-18 when she is all done. Cheers to you!
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Thanks man, yeah Callie has been a savior for my planes for years...Always the perfect finishing touch to all my paint projects...I'll post the photos as soon as they are applied...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:52 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Very appreciated!

WOW!!! Awesome.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Well done Aros, that came out great! You're inspiring me to do some sort of custom paint job now.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
I love inspiring folks to do their own custom paint jobs! I take pride in it since I don't have the build/mod skills many do but I take after my father who used to paint cars for a living...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Mine is coming along very well, no major snags thus far. I did a little painting of my own, with some accents thrown in for scale accuracy.

I had to cut the horizontal vectoring pushrods because mine arrived out of alignment and no amount of tightening could fix them, so I cut them to size! Also had to remove the access cover to move the control horn on the vertical vector servos - Mine arrived with significant downthrust built-in, which required all available subtrim in order to bring level. After moving the horns, all is well.

One unpleasant thing I noticed, having owned the previous version and this new V2 - There's no more landing light! I am really bummed about that, it was one of my favorite little touches on the first version. Oh well, I'm hoping they made some other improvements that I haven't noticed, or maybe it was just an even production trade - servo-driven gear doors in exchange for the landing light.

Did we ever compile a rundown of differences between V1 and V2?

So far my list is short:

Landing light - Delete
Gear Door Servo - Add
Main Landing Gear - Slightly modified
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Bummer about the landing light. I'm so used to being disappointed by having a V1 of any plane but it doesn't sound like HL made any major improvements or changes to V2 so I don't feel like I've got a "Beta Plane". That's actually a good thing, meaning the quality was already there so there wasn't any need to make drastic improvements to V2. However, I don't know why they would get rid of the landing light in V2. Like you, I love that little touch.

So far I don't care about a gear door servo...As long as the string does the job that's okay with me. What types of modification did they do to the mains?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Not so sure, but I recall reading somewhere in the other thousand-plus posts about there being some kind of change made to them for V2. I don't know what to look for specifically.

I'd be remiss if I didn't express to you what a liability the string can be - It actually caused a big headache for me during the first time around with my V1 despite functioning properly in all ground tests. It's been over a year now, so the specifics are somewhat hazy, but I remember getting the gear up and then not being able to put the nose gear back down. I circled around the pattern until the battery was barely hanging on, trying every attitude and airspeed possible to cycle the gear successfully and the nose gear never came out. Eventually the battery began to fade on me before I could flip the switch one more time, and I landed with two wheels down in an extremely narrow patch of sharp brush (I fly in a huge paved lot with minimal grass so this was my best emergency zone) and it got roughed up. The nose gear worked flawlessly on the ground and I concluded that the door mechanism had been screwing with me in the air somehow.

I am extremely thankful they switched to a servo up front so I won't worry about that little event again - I just wish they had left my landing light! Oh well, I see there are open ports on the light controller and I suppose it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to wire one in if it really bothers me enough.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Sounds like I spoke to soon? That's too bad that happened. Although I'm not sure how a string would create the nose gear mechanism to not come back down? Are you sure it wasn't the nose wheel servo? I'll have to look at it all again to see how it works but it seems strange that a string that is for closing and opening the doors could cause the nose gear not to come back down...There must have been enough complaints that warranted them to switch to a gear door servo...Yikes. Must...Remain...Vigilant...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
I landed with two wheels down
I know the deed is done (and I haven't even flown mine yet) but looking back, would it have been better to suck the wheels up and do a flat belly landing? My biggest fear when taking off is having some kind of power failure, so I suck up the landing gear ASAP so that if it goes down, less damage is incurred if there's nothing hanging down.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,594 Posts
Went through 2 v1 & never had a problem with nose gear coming down, but did have a main fail.