HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:18 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
I guess the way i figured is losing one aileron aint the end of the world... i surely wouldnt want to lose either stabilator control though i tell you that!! Mind if i asked what powerplant setup do you have?
I'm running stock fan & motor with a 100a hobbywing esc w/ separate cc bec. It's the same motor I had in my previous plane until my plane parted ways. So I took it out & used it in my kit. Motor has 100+ flights & going on 1 yr next mo. Others may want more speed, but I love the way she flies.

If you are looking for a motor upgrade I would say, CYCLONE POWER/HKS PD 36-1900KV-50 90MM MOTOR. It's out of stock where i bought it so youll have 2 search for 1. I ordered 1 while I'm waiting for my eurofighter kit & will be putting this motor with 100a esc in it.

Or if ya wanna get crazy!

EDFhobbies Extreme 6s 2100kv, but you'll need a 150a esc
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
I LOVE that paint scheme. I would say is it worth the extra.....YES in my book, I will be happy paying to get the RAAF scheme. Put up some picts when you get that one built.

Where did you get your RAAF F18 from? (I assume Xtreme - since it is there limited edition)
Yes, it was from Extreme in Australia. They claim they commissioned only 200 of them. It's built but not flown. I waited a long time for the batteries to come, then the weather got bad. Here are all the pics and vids I have:
Freewing F/A 18E Super Hornet 90mm 3D RAAF EDF - Special Edition (0 min 58 sec)
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:13 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I'm running stock fan & motor with a 100a hobbywing esc w/ separate cc bec. It's the same motor I had in my previous plane until my plane parted ways. So I took it out & used it in my kit. Motor has 100+ flights & going on 1 yr next mo. Others may want more speed, but I love the way she flies.

If you are looking for a motor upgrade I would say, CYCLONE POWER/HKS PD 36-1900KV-50 90MM MOTOR. It's out of stock where i bought it so youll have 2 search for 1. I ordered 1 while I'm waiting for my eurofighter kit & will be putting this motor with 100a esc in it.

Or if ya wanna get crazy!

EDFhobbies Extreme 6s 2100kv, but you'll need a 150a esc
i had a friend whos been in the hobby for a lot longer than me tell me to not go above 1900kv with that stock fan lol... i didnt really have any more money to splurge so..... im looking forward to seeing what this turnigy sk3 fandrive 1900kv can do. it says on product page that this is a new item?? what is it you like about the MG servos?
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Yes, it was from Extreme in Australia. They claim they commissioned only 200 of them. It's built but not flown. I waited a long time for the batteries to come, then the weather got bad. Here are all the pics and vids I have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0P2WsNAN8
Very nice....I do need one. You will Love how she flies, it is a very good model. I cannot fly my stock version enough.....
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
Ya forgot to mention you'll need to use a 5 blade fan on 2100kv.

'Knock on wood x3' I have yet to have a prob with any of my hs-81mg, hs-65mg, or tp-mg servos. I only use them on major control surfaces aileron, elevator, & nose steering. I use plastic geared servos on rudder & flaps. I had too many problems with plastic geared servos stripping on a rough landing or belly landing when gears wouldn't retract. Also I've lost planes where the plane was totaled & the mg servos survived. While I've totaled planes n the plastic servos needed replacement. It just gives me piece of mind and less maintance. I've never used karbonite servos so can't compare. So I love & live by mg servos on larger airframes, but to each his own!
Last edited by v8truckin; Nov 16, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Ya forgot to mention you'll need to use a 5 blade fan on 2100kv.

'Knock on wood x3' I have yet to have a prob with any of my hs-81mg, hs-65mg, or tp-mg servos. I only use them on major control surfaces aileron, elevator, & nose steering. I use plastic geared servos on rudder & flaps. I had too many problems with plastic geared servos stripping on a rough landing or belly landing when gears wouldn't retract. Also I've lost planes where the plane was totaled & the mg servos survived. While I've totaled planes n the plastic servos needed replacement. It just gives me piece of mind and less maintance. I've never used karbonite servos so can't compare. So I love & live by mg servos on larger airframes, but to each his own!
i tell you, im not real sure about these Hitec HS65HB servos... they are on my stabilators and they arent centering for crap! if i bang the sticks about a bit they come back in a different neutral each time?? what the heck, i paid over $20 per servo to avoid this type of issue. on another note... the airframe only kit i just received has a servo for the nose gear door!!! and metal keepers on the wheel axles, and a glossy color manual!!! hobby lobby has been paying attention, kudos dudes.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
Not what you'd expect from a $20+ servo. Try setting the sub trim & trim to zero on that channel and adjust accordingly. Or sometimes the hitec servos like 6v from the esc for power n this will give better response on travel & centering compared to 4.8v or vise versa. Keep in mind your other servos may not like the high voltage or lower, so disconnect those servos before you test the voltage change. If your running the stock esc don't think you can change voltage.
Last edited by v8truckin; Nov 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
i tell you, im not real sure about these Hitec HS65HB servos... they are on my stabilators and they arent centering for crap! if i bang the sticks about a bit they come back in a different neutral each time?? what the heck, i paid over $20 per servo to avoid this type of issue. on another note... the airframe only kit i just received has a servo for the nose gear door!!! and metal keepers on the wheel axles, and a glossy color manual!!! hobby lobby has been paying attention, kudos dudes.
Nice that is the V2 of this bird.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Nice that is the V2 of this bird.
Awesome, someone pointed out earlier that their gear door was sequenced with a servo so we suspected a V2. Glad to see a great plane has been further improved!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Xviper, did you ad any lights to what was already there? I see a green LED on the right rudder facing back. Also it llooks like LEDS under the wing where there are nav lights on the real thing.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:08 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Xviper, did you ad any lights to what was already there? I see a green LED on the right rudder facing back. Also it llooks like LEDS under the wing where there are nav lights on the real thing.
All the lights were on the plane out of the box. I just figured that's the way they all came. I didn't add any of them. There is a special little circuit board that all the lights plug into.
There are 6 lights in total. 1 on each outer surface of the rudders. 1 on each wingtip facing forward and 1 on each side of the top fuse, just in front and above each intake scoop. The light you see under the wing is just a reflection of the wingtip lights.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:17 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
OK I looked at it again. The green LED I see facing backward on the right rudder is just the green one on the side of the rudder. My Bad. Looks like it's just like all the rest.

I hope my new kit has the sequenced front door. I doubt it though. Plus I'd need to get a sequencer too.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
OK I looked at it again. The green LED I see facing backward on the right rudder is just the green one on the side of the rudder. My Bad. Looks like it's just like all the rest.

I hope my new kit has the sequenced front door. I doubt it though. Plus I'd need to get a sequencer too.
i should make totally clear that the V2 in question was an airframe only kit... still remarkably complete
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:22 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
So can anyone confirm that the latest shipment of hobby-lobby kit is a V2? I just ordered 1 on the black Friday sale & am hoping it is.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:25 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,040 Posts
Why not just call Hobby-Lobby and ask them?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud