HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,372 Posts
I am very curious...would I be able to fly this model with my DX6i if I disabled the VT? I want this model so bad, but I dont want to have to buy the DX7 just yet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Jordan
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:31 PM
On Drugs
A mile high and 30 feet south of the 40th parallel
Joined Dec 2009
1,128 Posts
Wow man, youre doin some good work.

What does HL have to say about you doin all this stuff just to get it to "work" correctly?
BEELZEBOB is offline Find More Posts by BEELZEBOB
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
Test flew my friend's F-18 today and I'm loving it. Takeoff without elevator VT used almost 400 feet of paved runway of our 600 available and it lept into the air suddenly. Took her around and trimmed her out needing quite a bit of aileron and elevator trim,once she was level and flying straight the fun started!. I took her up into a vertical climb and fed in rudder,elevator and aileron with full VT(including elevator at this point) and man what a fast upright flatspin! flew out of the spin with opposite input and did some aileron rolls which were nice and scale like then opened her up for a high speed pass down the runway,she scoot very well and is fast for a large scale bird,my kinda plane,grooves thru turns very nicely and after 4 minutes I set-up for my approach. came in nose high and started to flare UH OH! almost full elevator and forgot VT was off,set her down hard and knocked out the right retract from the foam,other than that everything still worked fine and I'm pretty sure it's already fixed. Can't wait to go home and finish mine!
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:57 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,858 Posts
@BEELZEBOB - Thanks for the compliment; Hobby Lobby hasn't said anything. I'm hoping they will see this thread and can garner some userful feedback to be used for a future release of the kit. I might shoot Jason (Flyboone) a link to this thread. While no airplane kit can be perfect, maybe they can use the tips in here to make improvements.

@MustangAce17 - You just confirmed what I was afraid of... the plane does not like to take off without thrust vectoring. I was going to just try my wheel mods to see if they helped but I think I'll set up flaperons also before I fly it again. Hopefully those two items will help with takeoffs. I don't know how good it is to have a model that will not take off without thrust vectoring.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:02 PM
On Drugs
A mile high and 30 feet south of the 40th parallel
Joined Dec 2009
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
@BEELZEBOB - Thanks for the compliment; Hobby Lobby hasn't said anything. I'm hoping they will see this thread and can garner some userful feedback to be used for a future release of the kit. I might shoot Jason (Flyboone) a link to this thread. While no airplane kit can be perfect, maybe they can use the tips in here to make improvements.

@MustangAce17 - You just confirmed what I was afraid of... the plane does not like to take off without thrust vectoring. I was going to just try my wheel mods to see if they helped but I think I'll set up flaperons also before I fly it again. Hopefully those two items will help with takeoffs. I don't know how good it is to have a model that will not take off without thrust vectoring.
perfection is just about unobtainable now a days.

However, landing gears seem like an important part.

Think about how much you as a consumer have to pay because the kit has retracts vs fixed gears.

And they dont work unless you get all Mcguiver on them.

you are handling this very well.

I would be on the horn w/ HL seeing what they are going to do so i dont send it back LOL
BEELZEBOB is offline Find More Posts by BEELZEBOB
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:28 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
Mike,ya it really does need VT to take off which is unfortunate,I'm thinking we might be able to move the cg further back and/or adjust the nose gear stance by shimming the retract itself.

Also I will glass my plates in and reinforce them since they are a problem,along with reinforcing my elevator set-up which I already have ideas for because I'm going to run at 2000 plus watts
Last edited by MustangAce17; Oct 20, 2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added more
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:30 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,455 Posts
@BEELZEBOB some perspective though; this is to get to fly off grass. Off pavement this isn't an issue. I did the same with all my freewing and banana stuff. Small wheels don't work in grass unless its very light.

@Mike_Then Excellent. I realized why the brass sleeves since FW/HL didn't drill the axle at an angle into the strut. They bent the axle to get the angle. Now thats a serious set of wheels You should have no trouble in even tall grass as long as you set the nose gear to be higher. It made a big difference on my FW Euro.

Jumping in the air at take off. This has been consistent with most of the FW models. The landing gear is set too far aft of cg and col needing more roll out or Stabilitor to rotate. Adding TV also helps but you can solve it with more stabilator and getting the legs to stand up more. If the spring were 2 or 3 loops shorter it would slide forward and stand up more out of the grass as it started to gain lift. On the Euro, F35 and SU 34 we all added height to the nose gear.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Oct 20, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:40 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,455 Posts
Mike what is the Strut Dia coming out of the trunnion? 3mm or 5mm? Those definitely look like Eflite retracts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:00 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,858 Posts
Yes, this is true... this is to fly off grass. It took off from the road with no problem but it did take some serious amount of runway to do so. The larger wheels are all the same diameter larger than the stock wheels, so my nose won't be any higher than it was before this exercise. I'll have to lengthen the strut (I think it's adjustable, maybe not) or simply shim the whole retract with some wood or washers.

I was hoping the flaperons would help, I guess it can't hurt to test?

I'd bet the majority of folks with grass fields/runways far outweigh those of us that have paved runways. It's frustrating to see all of these cool planes come out but I can't buy them because they are meant for pavement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:41 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,455 Posts
@Mike_Then
+1.
Flapperons at 10-15* will also help. Forgot that one too. Just as long as its not too much as this will slow the roll more and the flaps do add a pitch down effect again needing more Stabilator.

You have plane in hand but there should be grub nuts that allows you to move the strut down a little. Even just a little.
MT's pimped out ride Or big wheel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:59 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,858 Posts
Almost finished tonight. Got the other wheel well carved out with my Dremel and mounted both main gears. I hogged foam with the Dremel until the wheels, when retracted, spun freely. I also finished the nose gear and it only requires to be installed into the airplane (I glued the wooden plate into the plane with epoxy).

I will raise the nose gear slightly as well as mix in flaps. Those three items should help my grass takeoffs.

@Maxthrottle: The axles themselves are 2mm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:40 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
got the servos in mine temporarily in position,coudn't get my JR 10x or spare DX6I to bind,I'll see if i can figure that out tomorrow
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:49 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Hello guys

I just spend last night time with my new F-18 from Freewing and finished almost my build.

I lost the small part from the nose gear door and cant find it anylonger, which is sad, so I have to figure out some else to make it work.

However right now I made 2 HD movies which I had last night no time yet to upload on my youtube channel, I will try so though tonight once I get some time and if I may can find the missing part or to figure out something for it.

One thing is for sure that UPS made some mistakes with the tracking.

Now you can feast your Eyes on my Machine.

I have silver TV Nozzles which are different then on the pictures.

There is not much free play but you will get to see most if it through my 2 HD movies which will be uploaded shortly.

Regards

Neversommer.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:05 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
Neversommer - looks like you have less issues than my plane (also from Hobby Lobby)....this means there are some QC issues at the factory (and a wide range of quality variations and problems getting out the door). Looks good - keep us posted of your Maiden.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1