Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:35 AM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo View Post
Ha! Neat.
Are you flying that without the doors?
Yep.. they were a victim of a meeting with the ground...
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Sub'd
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,901 Posts
Hope to get the f-18 flown today... On my maidens, I like NO wind.
I know it's 5-12 right now,BUT i want to keep it pretty for a few days.On my f-35, i got it to take -off more scale like by; both aileron's dropped 1/4 inch fixed. And small main wheels. Step 1 for the f-18 is just drooped /Cambered aileron's. I know I will lose speed with the ailerons down. Just want a couple of flight's before I move on to better solutions. Lee
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:07 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaussie View Post
I bent the nose gear a couple times on landing so I decided to give it a bit more support and stay as scale as possible. It's only a prototype and if I had access to a lathe or CNC machine , I'd make up some better hinge points to attach it to the airframe and nose gear..This is my second string airframe, and test bed.she's had a tough life.. use it to test mods etc before putting them on my good one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PMYEey7SQ
That's a very innovative mod. What did you do to anchor that rod (aft of the gear) into the foam? If you ever want to produce this mod for sale, I'd buy it. If you don't plan on selling it, please post up details so some of us might build our own.
All the vids shown for this jet indicate that the gears are fairly sturdy but there are hard landings and then there are "HARD" landings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo View Post
Ha! Neat.
Are you flying that without the doors?
Quote:
Yep.. they were a victim of a meeting with the ground...
As for ditching the doors, I don't have a problem with that. The main gears have no doors, so it wouldn't look too odd with no nose gear door. I have a feeling that the nose door could become problematic all on their own, given time. And I don't give the nose gear much longevity in my hands.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:50 AM
Joined Oct 2010
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
That's a very innovative mod. What did you do to anchor that rod (aft of the gear) into the foam? If you ever want to produce this mod for sale, I'd buy it. If you don't plan on selling it, please post up details so some of us might build our own.
All the vids shown for this jet indicate that the gears are fairly sturdy but there are hard landings and then there are "HARD" landings.

As for ditching the doors, I don't have a problem with that. The main gears have no doors, so it wouldn't look too odd with no nose gear door. I have a feeling that the nose door could become problematic all on their own, given time. And I don't give the nose gear much longevity in my hands.
Mate,
Thanks for the vote of confidence in the idea... The aft section of rod is anchored to the foam by that brass box section of tube you see in the second photo , which is braced by two strips of thin carbon sheet which form a kind of 'H' section, all epoxied in.. if you can imagine that. I want to do a little bit of 'testing' and then I'd be happy to make some up for people if they want as well as posting up some details here.... You're right about the gear though, it is pretty robust, though if you look carefully at the vid i've replaced the plastic trunions with metal ones.the plastic one just plain wore out... I think the mod will help with hard landings, but the "HARD" landings , nothing helps that.. I've seen linkages on the main gear bent and seals ruptured on the nose gear of the real one (F/18A) from hard student landings...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,872 Posts
Yeah man, I had to glue the doors to the fuse because the wheels I installed made the doors inoperable. They were too big to fit inside with the doors closed. I glued the doors in place and cut the foam so the gear and wheels pass through them. You can't tell in flight and it makes for much simpler operation.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
...if you can imagine that. I want to do a little bit of 'testing' and then I'd be happy to make some up for people if they want as well as posting up some details here....
GREAT! I'll take some, I have other jets that need it too. I've tried other mods to strengthen the Nose gear from wood supports to 5mm rods. The NLG seems like the first thing to go on any jet of mine.

The design makes sense, aRC is doing the same support rod now in their hornet model and I think pw-rc makes metal trunnions for the e-tracts seeing the plastic ones never last a whole season.

Quote:
.. I've seen linkages on the main gear bent and seals ruptured on the nose gear of the real one (F/18A) from hard student landings...
I take it you used to work on the hornets? I used to do M&E for their production inventory computer systems in SoCal. Love em, very durable jet...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,901 Posts
Ist flight is in, Nerve racking!!!On takeoff, I was quickly running out of runway. Rotation was 3-4 ft before the end of the runway Because of my flaperons, I didn't have enough up trim in the stab. Ran out of up trim, had to slow it way down. to fly straight and level. Landed after just 2 minites in the air. Very pleased with it,,,,Need's more work on throw's, and neutral position of the stab. Might takeout the down flaperon. hope to fly again tommorrow. Lee
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,872 Posts
Congrats on the successful maiden flight! Mine won't take off without flaperon, so good luck with your adjustments!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:07 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Might takeout the down flaperon. hope to fly again tommorrow. Lee
Congrats on the maiden!!

Yea you don't need flaperons at all. You can slow it down real nice without them.

Nicce slow landings at the end of these two flights.

eRC F/18e Super Hornet 12-26-10 (4 min 51 sec)

eRC F/A-18e Super Hornet Evening Flight 12-29-10 (4 min 53 sec)
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:22 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,040 Posts
It's not the landing that he's working on, it's shortening the take-off distance lol
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:41 AM
Joined Oct 2010
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
GREAT! I'll take some, I have other jets that need it too. I've tried other mods to strengthen the Nose gear from wood supports to 5mm rods. The NLG seems like the first thing to go on any jet of mine.

The design makes sense, aRC is doing the same support rod now in their hornet model and I think pw-rc makes metal trunnions for the e-tracts seeing the plastic ones never last a whole season.

I take it you used to work on the hornets? I used to do M&E for their production inventory computer systems in SoCal. Love em, very durable jet...
Spent a few years on the line with hornets, nice aeroplane to work on..

I got my retracts from pw-rc... had to drill out the trunnions from 3 to 4mm but they work much better..
you're first on the list when I've done some testing..
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:07 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
It's not the landing that he's working on, it's shortening the take-off distance lol

Ye I don't know what I was thinking.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:32 AM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
173 Posts
Just about finished with a kit model and I my
lights don't work. All the light wires are fed to
their control block but there is no wire that
connects to receiver. Where does the power
come from??????
grnd0 is offline Find More Posts by grnd0