HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:16 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,083 Posts
Yes. I have two HL F/A-18E's (one's a spare airframe), and the SebArt MiG-29.

I don't have a wife. Now you know why I have these LOL

I just got receipt of the SebArt at the beginning of this month, so haven't built it up. So I can't make a 1st-hand experience comparison yet.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:14 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,923 Posts
Thanks guy's for the input. Thats what I did pn my f-35, smaller main wheels to increase AoA. Has anyone tried to make the wings "plug in", with magnets to hold them on?
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:37 PM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
i was seeing very long take off runs ( around 200ft) with my F-18 until I noticed that the thrust vectoring at neutral was pointing ever so slightly down and that the freewing manual that comes with the aussie hornet says to have the stabs aligned with the fuse waterline unlike the HL one which says to set them so they give a nose up moment at neutral... Once I'd done this take of distance dropped off dramatically.. I also set up a 'take off' flight mode which adds in a little TV with elevator to give the tail a little push down for when there is no wind down the strip....
ohaussie is online now Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:15 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaussie View Post
the freewing manual that comes with the aussie hornet says to have the stabs aligned with the fuse waterline unlike the HL one which says to set them so they give a nose up moment at neutral....
Could you elaborate on this please.
I'm looking at the HL manual on page 11, step 36, where they show a picture of the side of the plane and a measurement of <5/16" below the panel line on the fuselage>.
Now, I'm looking at the manual that came with the Aussie jet and it makes reference in step 41 and 42 (which is step 34 and 35 in the HL manual) about low and high rates, moving 1/2" and 3/4" in both directions. However, I don't understand "in both directions" of what exactly????? The middle line shown in that picture really doesn't indicate exactly where on the jet this is.
I don't see where it says anything about "setting them so give nose up moment at neutral". Should I just do what the HL manual says and use the "panel line" as reference? The HL manual seems to have one extra picture that the Aussie manual is missing.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:24 AM
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Could you elaborate on this please.
I'm looking at the HL manual on page 11, step 36, where they show a picture of the side of the plane and a measurement of <5/16" below the panel line on the fuselage>.
Now, I'm looking at the manual that came with the Aussie jet and it makes reference in step 41 and 42 (which is step 34 and 35 in the HL manual) about low and high rates, moving 1/2" and 3/4" in both directions. However, I don't understand "in both directions" of what exactly????? The middle line shown in that picture really doesn't indicate exactly where on the jet this is.
I don't see where it says anything about "setting them so give nose up moment at neutral". Should I just do what the HL manual says and use the "panel line" as reference? The HL manual seems to have one extra picture that the Aussie manual is missing.
Sure..
First I probably should be more specific.. the manual didn't explicitly say " "setting them so give nose up moment at neutral". But that is the outcome..sorry If I was a bit misleading there

I took " moving 1/2" and 3/4" in both directions" to mean from the panel line as reference for low and high rates respectively...which is about waterline.. but this sets the stab at about level which doesn't help if the nose is slightly down for take off...

What i did was take the measurement from the HL manual (5/16" below the panel line)as to where neutral should be set... This made sense to me as it would give the 'nose up' moment it seemed to need to get off the ground.. and use the trow measurements from the aussie manual.. Hope this makes sense ..If not I can always take some pics of my set up and post them here
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:08 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaussie View Post
Sure..
First I probably should be more specific.. the manual didn't explicitly say " "setting them so give nose up moment at neutral". But that is the outcome..sorry If I was a bit misleading there

I took " moving 1/2" and 3/4" in both directions" to mean from the panel line as reference for low and high rates respectively...which is about waterline.. but this sets the stab at about level which doesn't help if the nose is slightly down for take off...

What i did was take the measurement from the HL manual (5/16" below the panel line)as to where neutral should be set... This made sense to me as it would give the 'nose up' moment it seemed to need to get off the ground.. and use the trow measurements from the aussie manual.. Hope this makes sense ..If not I can always take some pics of my set up and post them here
Your post has made it more clear. I understand now what the HL manual means with the extra picture.
This leads to another question. It seems to me that this elevator setting, because it gives a bit of "up" elevator for take off, would continue to give "up" elevator when flying. Would this not produce a constant tendency for the jet to climb under power? Or does one trim it out as needed after take off?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:17 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,976 Posts
Quote:
Your post has made it more clear. I understand now what the HL manual means with the extra picture.
This leads to another question. It seems to me that this elevator setting, because it gives a bit of "up" elevator for take off, would continue to give "up" elevator when flying. Would this not produce a constant tendency for the jet to climb under power? Or does one trim it out as needed after take off?
I have the TV disabled and that's where my elevators are for level flight.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:18 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,923 Posts
More question from the new f-18 guy. I snaped on one of the giant fuel tanks, How do you get the hook to release??Im afraid if i pull down too hard, it might rip the mounting lugs off the bottom of the wing.Can someone post a photo of there string in the nose -gear well, to close the gear doors?
cant find any data on the stock motor, what mm is the motor shaft, max volt's, and amps to this motor. Thanks, New guy.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:03 AM
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Xviper,
Like mikethen says.. that's where mine stay for level flight and I to have TV disabled (excepting rudder). Mine doesn't climb under power..
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:11 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
More question from the new f-18 guy. I snaped on one of the giant fuel tanks, How do you get the hook to release??Im afraid if i pull down too hard, it might rip the mounting lugs off the bottom of the wing.Can someone post a photo of there string in the nose -gear well, to close the gear doors?
cant find any data on the stock motor, what mm is the motor shaft, max volt's, and amps to this motor. Thanks, New guy.

Just give the rocket or tank all pull on one side & it will pop off. Yes the tabs might pull off the foam. If it's going to happen then you want it to happen on the ground. Just reglue them with epoxy. I have had most of the tabs come unglued on mine.

You don't want a tank or rocket coming off in flight. I know one jet on here that crashed because the tank came off in flight & got caught in the horizotal stab causing the jet to crash. Most unlikely but it did happen.

Here's the specs on the motor. http://www.sz-freewing.com/productsp...lassname=Motor

http://www.sz-freewing.com/productsp...=Propeller|EDF
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:15 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,976 Posts
Agreed - the tabs will most likely come off when you remove the tanks but they are easily re-glued. I put the tanks on mine a few weeks ago and noticed a significant decrease in speed. I was surprised; I knew there would be an increase in drag but didn't realize it would be so much. I have since removed them and I don't know if I will put them back on.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Yea I've never flow with the tanks on. Just the missiles/rockets. I even bought a new set to use also. Funny though I've never put them on.

Can't hardly wait! Sometime this week Nitroplanes will have the new A-RC 90mm FA/18 Super Hornet in stock!!!
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:20 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,923 Posts
Thanks guy's, I didnt plan on flying with them on, just wanted to see it with tanks on. Lee
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:25 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,923 Posts
Yup, it pulled the tabs off the wing..... Needs magnets.. Lee
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Nose gear Mod

I bent the nose gear a couple times on landing so I decided to give it a bit more support and stay as scale as possible. It's only a prototype and if I had access to a lathe or CNC machine , I'd make up some better hinge points to attach it to the airframe and nose gear..This is my second string airframe, and test bed.she's had a tough life.. use it to test mods etc before putting them on my good one..
Freewing F-18 Nose gear Mod (0 min 39 sec)