HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:34 AM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Well now your not telling him the whole story. Extreme wants $90 more for the Aussie scheme compared to the reg grey scheme. That & it's 188.27 to ship it to me here in Denver. HL only charges me About $25 to ship a jet here.

If I was to get the Aussie F-18 from Xtreme it whould cost exactly $666.68 in US $'s. I'd be insane to get one. Very sad. I'd love to get one.
$188!!!! Mate I reckon I could post it to you for less than that...And not knocking the model at all ..I love mine... we never had a Super Hornet painted like that... but hey who cares it's s great plane and I love flying mine..
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:34 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Well now your not telling him the whole story. Extreme wants $90 more for the Aussie scheme compared to the reg grey scheme. That & it's 188.27 to ship it to me here in Denver. HL only charges me About $25 to ship a jet here.

If I was to get the Aussie F-18 from Xtreme it whould cost exactly $666.68 in US $'s. I'd be insane to get one. Very sad. I'd love to get one.
HL's shipping was $39 from Tennessee to Maryland. I feel cheated lol
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:55 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Some times it's been about that & somtimes it's been $25. Depends on the size box. The PC-21 & Freewing F-16's I got were only $25. The F-18 was probly $39. It's been just over a year now.

Ohaussie, lol I might take ya up on that someday! I gota love RCwarez in Brisbane. He charges fair prices & does not charge an arm & a leg for shipping. However I think most stuff he has shipped from China & not Australia.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:59 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaussie View Post
We never had a Super Hornet painted like that... ..

I thought there was one painted like that for real. It was an anniversary paint job I thought.
Last edited by ColoradoHeliNut; Oct 08, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:35 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
I thought there was one painted like that for real. It was an anniversary paint job I thought.
You are correct. The paint scheme was used for the 20th anniversary in 2005, on an F/A-18A - Super Hornets did not enter Australian service until 2010, with the retirement of the F-111.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Hornet-A21-26

Not the only instance of anomalous livery, e.g. Blue Angels F/A-18E
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Thanks! Yea I found this page too. http://www.defence.gov.au/media/down.../20050315a.cfm
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:04 AM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
You are correct. The paint scheme was used for the 20th anniversary in 2005, on an F/A-18A - Super Hornets did not enter Australian service until 2010, with the retirement of the F-111.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Hornet-A21-26

Not the only instance of anomalous livery, e.g. Blue Angels F/A-18E
Yep the jet wore that scheme for about a year.. we also had a dual which just had the tails done..I should have a pic of that somewhere...
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:19 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
Quote:
Well now your not telling him the whole story. Extreme wants $90 more for the Aussie scheme compared to the reg grey scheme. That & it's 188.27 to ship it to me here in Denver. HL only charges me about $25 to ship a jet here.

In fact I'd have to say Extreme is WAY over priced for most of the stuff. They want an average of a $120 more for the average FMS 1400 warbirds than what Nitroplanes, PW-RC or RCcastle charges. In fact they are over priced on the other manufactures too. Except for Parkzone & Eflite. They( Horizone) would drop Extreme & not sell to them in a heartbeat if they tried to markup the retail on their products.

Like I said, the OZ connection doesn't apply to you guys in the US because places like Hobby Lobby ship it to you in the CONUS for next to nothing.
OK, so here's the "whole" story ...................
I posted up my shipping costs from HL. The $209.00 UPS shipping was already converted to Can. dollars. The $232.00 USPS shipping was in US dollars and needs to be converted if my examples are to be consistent. So that makes it $241.00 CAD. Extreme sold me the RAAF F/A-18, shipped to my door for $500.00 AUS. That converts to $508.00 CAD. Here's the rundown:

From Hobby Lobby,
Via UPS ............... $614.00 CAD.
Via USPS ............. $646.00 CAD.

From Extreme in OZ .. $508.00 CAD. I talked directly with the owner of the shop on the phone and conversed many times over emails. He gave me a "package deal" shipped to my door to help me get this plane. I also spoke with someone at HL about their shipping and all they said was, "Sorry, that's just the way it is." Strangely, I can buy a similarly large plane from Banana Hobby (California) and the shipping is about $65.00. However, I'm reluctant to do business with BH, having been gooned once before. There are a lot of really nice planes from HL, Altanta, but their shipping makes no sense to me.
If you were me, which one would you have purchased? I'd be insane to buy the HL one. So, there's the whole story. (Honest, I wasn't lying.)

PS. I love the Ozzie paint scheme on this jet, far better than the one on the HL one, which seems just too "military" for my liking. If you believe what Extreme says, there's only 200 made to commemorate the RAAF anniversary (or something like that).

BTW, HL and Atlanta Hobby have the Sebart Mig-29 that I also want. However, due to the obtrusive shipping rates, it would be cheaper for me to buy this one from a shop in England and have it shipped over the ocean. It's not HL fault. It's UPS and USPS's rates to Canada.

Oh, and PPS .................. If I had someone who lived in the US, say in Montana, I'd have purchased from HL and have it driven over the border to me. That would have given me the same deal as you guys, but then, somebody has to drive all that distance for me to get it. That's gotta cost something, too.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Last edited by xviper; Oct 08, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:06 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,404 Posts
XViper; thats not a new observation. Shipping from most world carriers are often less than UPS and USPS, and they certainly don't tack on the unneccesary brokerage fee that UPS does. I ship stuff from the other side of the world for less than it cost to ship 200 miles across the US/Can boarder.

Depending on where you are from the boarder, another way around this is ship it to a friend or relative in the US and have them ship it up to you USPS or get it from them the next time you visit. This bypasses all the brokerage, duties and what ever else fees. Or ship it to a UPS depot or store and go down and pick it up on your next US trip. Only make certain that you're in the US for more than two day at which point everything is also waved Brokerage, duties etc up to $750 per crossing.
The only cost is the gas to cross the boarder and staying somewhere for two nights. I ask my wife when we are going to visit her sisters next or if she wants to spend a day trip in the states and she knows that means I just bought another big something in the states

At least we get something back for the money normal waisted on Brokerage etc.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:20 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
Yeah, shipping over the border is a huge variable that most people don't realize. I'm going to have to find a friend in Montana.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:16 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,882 Posts
A little off track! My f-35 needed 200+ ft to get airbourne,,,, What does the f-18 need? Dont want to smack a curb before airbourne.
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:59 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
i haven't measured it, but it does need a lot of room to get airborne.the jet sits a little nose low on the gear and the one mod iv'e done to help this is replace the back wheels with slightly smaller than stock, and replace the front ones with wheels a little bigger than stock(they are actually all the same size now...originally the back ones were bigger than the front). this has noticably reduced the take off roll, however its still considerably longer than my 64mm t45's take off roll. i can definately confirm also that the vectoring reduces the take off roll even further, but be ready to back off on the stick as it will appear that the plane is not going to unstick and then it leaps off the ground and rotates quite aggressively. this is also the case without vectoring but not as severe.DO NOT attempt your first take off on low elevators rates unless you want to run out of runway! i use high rates all the time with no problems and have my finger ready to flick on the elevator vectoring during takeoff if i'm starting to run out of room(this has saved me once!), i do however make sure the elevator vectoring if off for landing as it tends to make the jet twitcy during the flare.hope this helps
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Last edited by jb0005; Oct 08, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
A little off track! My f-35 needed 200+ ft to get airbourne,,,, What does the f-18 need? Dont want to smack a curb before airbourne.
These vids should give some idea of what kind of distance it takes. They don't look anything like 200 feet.

eRC F/A 18E Super Hornet 90mm ARF Jet (2 min 29 sec)

F/A-18 Freewing 90mm 3D Jet RAAF www.xtremehobby.com.au (7 min 50 sec)

And this one takes "zero" feet:
* EDF * Hovering Sebart Mig 29 (3 min 35 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:24 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,008 Posts
If you have your ailerons on separate channels, you could try setting up flaps for take-off.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:51 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
fredmdbud,
I see you on the Mig-29 thread, too. Do you have both? Just curious how the two compare. Don't know if the wife would understand if I got the Mig-29 on top of the F/A-18 that hasn't even flown yet.