HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
ESC replacement

Guys,

Thanks for the recco on the ESC replacement. I got the ICE 100 per your advice. One dumb question I have is when I went to connect it I noticed a second black and red wire coming out of the stock ESC and appearing to go to the lighting circuit board. I have attached a picture. Do you have any advice on how to connect this. I assume I need to get a separate connector that would go from the lighting circuit board to the receiver, but I am out of channels - I guess I could connect to a Y harness. Also, for those that did this what connector did you use...the lighting board uses different connector heads/wires than the normal servo connectors.

Thanks again for your help!

Wes
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:56 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,723 Posts
My guess is that's coming off the BEC that's built into the stock ESC. I don't remember if the stock BEC is 4.8V or 6V. I would think you could plug a y-harness into the servo lead... one goes to the receiver, the other goes to the light board. Check the voltage first so you don't fry anything.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Thanks...I will give this a shot. I am still struggling with the light board connector...it is a small 2 contact connector with only 2 wires...much smaller than a standard servo wire..it's like I need a servo connector on one end of the wire and this smaller one on the other...can't seem to figure that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
My guess is that's coming off the BEC that's built into the stock ESC. I don't remember if the stock BEC is 4.8V or 6V. I would think you could plug a y-harness into the servo lead... one goes to the receiver, the other goes to the light board. Check the voltage first so you don't fry anything.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:10 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,609 Posts
Here's a flight from the weekend........ sure do like this plane.

Kydawg's 90mm Freewing F18 Dist by Hobby Lobby Stock Power 2011 0924 (4 min 39 sec)
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Real nice...I love it as well...hope to get a few flights in this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Here's a flight from the weekend........ sure do like this plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ni8DjSWDPg
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:03 AM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
399 Posts
Here's Mine...
If anyone has a 4mmm shaft from the retracts they aren't using I sure would appreciate it. I've bent the one from my nose gear and don't really want to buy a whole new retract set...
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:53 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaussie View Post
Here's Mine...
If anyone has a 4mmm shaft from the retracts they aren't using I sure would appreciate it. I've bent the one from my nose gear and don't really want to buy a whole new retract set...
Love that paint scheme.....I wish we could get that those here stateside. Very nice plane. How is she flying for you?

I do not have a 4mm landing gear wire mount..... might check with the hobby shop you bought your plane. They might sell 4mm spring steel rod.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Love that paint scheme.....I wish we could get that those here stateside. Very nice plane. How is she flying for you?

I do not have a 4mm landing gear wire mount..... might check with the hobby shop you bought your plane. They might sell 4mm spring steel rod.
She's flying very well.. already asked the hobby shop, they wanted to sell me a new set of retracts for $79....
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:33 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Hy ohaussie i have the same jet you have ,im running a 6s 5000 mah lipo in mine and i get about 6/7 mins with throttle management i was wondering did you keep the original esc in yours if so how did you find the heat from the esc was it very hot or just warm.
Regards,
Rob............
jeta1 is offline Find More Posts by jeta1
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeta1 View Post
Hy ohaussie i have the same jet you have ,im running a 6s 5000 mah lipo in mine and i get about 6/7 mins with throttle management i was wondering did you keep the original esc in yours if so how did you find the heat from the esc was it very hot or just warm.
Regards,
Rob............
Rob,
I've got the original esc , whilst I'm only currently running 6s3000's , it seems to be only warm after each flight. I do have it sitting in the airflow though.. Statically it's pulling 65-70 Amps at full throttle.

Brett
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,723 Posts
I flew mine yesterday three times but had a lot of problems on takeoff... had to abort twice and I haven't had to do that since activating flaperons. While it wasn't hot yesterday, it was very humid and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. It seemed down on power and isn't as fast as it usually is. Even my 600-sized electric heli seemed down on power. It was very strange.

I fly a 6s 5000 mAh pack and get 5 minutes with throttle management. That gives me time to go around a time or two if I have to abort landings.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:41 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I flew mine yesterday three times but had a lot of problems on takeoff... had to abort twice and I haven't had to do that since activating flaperons. While it wasn't hot yesterday, it was very humid and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. It seemed down on power and isn't as fast as it usually is. Even my 600-sized electric heli seemed down on power. It was very strange.

I fly a 6s 5000 mAh pack and get 5 minutes with throttle management. That gives me time to go around a time or two if I have to abort landings.
That's weird I had the similar problem the same day. Plane/batteries did not have the same speed n seemed to lack the usual power they have. I use 6s 4000mah 40-50c packs 3 turnigy & 3 Blue lipo. It's been months since I've had a bad landing with this plane & it seemed every landing, but 1 gave me trouble. 1st landing required 3 go arounds n really sweated my battery hitting LVC. 2nd-4th all gave me trouble & 6th broke my main retract mount. Went home really bummed so I charged my packs over night fixed n fab'd a new retract mount n headed out today. She flew great! Must've been some atmospheric phonomenom, lol!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:49 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeta1 View Post
Regards,
Rob............
I found my stock esc was getting hot after a single flight , so I would fly it every other flight as I rotated planes. Didn't used to happen so not sure what caused it. I decided I would disable the bec from the stock esc n add a separate CC bec. This seemed to do the trick, esc is warm after 2 consecutive flights. It's usually the bec that makes n esc get hot. Most built-in bec's are of the linear type. They lower voltage by wasting off the excess as heat, so inturn your esc heats up. Try it out, if it doesn't work upgrade the esc.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:44 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
I bought a singular retract for mine. It came from PW-RC, its better than buying a full set. THeyre cheap enough.
I havnt flown mine since i crashed with with gopro camera on board. Shes just about sweet to go. Main thing stopping me is I got no gear doors
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo View Post
I bought a singular retract for mine. It came from PW-RC, its better than buying a full set. THeyre cheap enough.
I havnt flown mine since i crashed with with gopro camera on board. Shes just about sweet to go. Main thing stopping me is I got no gear doors
How bad was the damage? What/how much did u have to repair?