HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:01 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
I really wish HL would get a batch of the Aussie birds in.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:15 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
I really wish HL would get a batch of the Aussie birds in.
Boy me too +1.....I have inquired with various shops down under.....and the price tag is over $600 delivered with our weak dollar.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:20 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,564 Posts
"Freewing as of now stopped production on future new Jet releases as of such, they are focusing now mostly on propeller driven planes, but we may get a surprise."

.............WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!? They have some of the best Foam EDFs on the market. They need to pay attention. Stopping is a mistake in my book. They should be improving and coming up with new birds. Ok....that is my opinion. I am biased since they have 4 of my top 10 (Eurofighter 90mm with TV, F18 90mm with TV, SU34 twin 64mm with TV and F-35 64mm with TV).
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:55 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Where are you getting this information. Based on discussions I had with Hobby Lobby, this is one of their best selling planes period, and they said that they plan to keep selling and did not believe Treewing would stop producing based on what they know and the sales rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Freewing won't be producing another Version 2 of the F-18 Super Hornet.

Freewing as of now stopped production on future new Jet releases as of such, they are focusing now mostly on propeller driven planes, but we may get a surprise.

My V.2 Reloaded F-18 is getting ready for build very soon.

All it is, is a airframe only kit with a powerful 8S Power Fan with a 5000 or 5400mah hyperion 35c battery pack.

I realized that due to my high power setup..the wings are starting to crack quite a bit when moving them, there is a lot more wing movement over time and due to the sun you can see that the epoxy turned kinda yellowish color.

I was absent for a good 3 months now..3 months without flying..but my new F-18 airframe still sitting in the box for now 2 months is getting ready for take-off..

I will glue the elevator onto the fuselage because I don't think it may handle 4.7 kg worth of thrust.

NS.
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:19 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
I don't know why they would go after the propeller market. There's too much comp. out there as it is with all the newParkzone, FMS @ LX planes that are just now coming out or will be before X-Mass. They should stick with jets!!!!!!!!!
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:13 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,260 Posts
Its hopefully a false roomer since any company builds on its success on items that are selling well. They don't change gears to compete in a harder market, they take the profits from the one to expand into the other.

It may not be a perminent hold, just temporary to retoo, re arrange.... I hope they continue in all of the above.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:59 PM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Beautiful!!!! I have this bird and I agree she flys and lands incredibly!! Love the strong landing gears and quality of it. There is nothing else on the market that even comes close to this product in the area of large foam EDF jets IMHO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I love the way this plane flies & lands. Finally got my wife to take some shots. hope you guys like!
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:12 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,260 Posts
You mean like the Eurofighter that also sells very well. No rumours of them shutting that down so I suspect either the 18 isn't selling as well or its just a rumour.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:10 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
RCflyerCT,

Totally agree in every aspect. Landing gear & suspension is top notch. Have over 120+ flights & definetly more landings n have yet to break a retract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyerCT View Post
Beautiful!!!! I have this bird and I agree she flys and lands incredibly!! Love the strong landing gears and quality of it. There is nothing else on the market that even comes close to this product in the area of large foam EDF jets IMHO!
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:29 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,563 Posts
There's no way that Freewing is switching to propjets... they do not make good electrics. I know this because I spent a lot of time, effort, and money on converting a glow propjet (VMAR F-4 Phantom II) to electric. It flew, but it took a lot of tuning to get it to do so. Propjets sit low to the ground, which means a smaller-diameter prop is required. Smaller-diameter props require a high Kv motor to spin them at a high RPM, which means more amps, which means less efficiency, which means lower flight times. Propjets take away one of the largest advantages of electric flight, which is swinging a large prop. Trust me, I'd have a H9 Jackal if it wasn't a pain in the rear to make it electric.

In short, it ain't happening.

I think Hobby Lobby/Freewing is either deciding on the size of the 2nd production run of the F/A-18E, or whether a 2nd production run is even going to happen at all. It's possible the 2nd run has been done and the planes are on the Slow Boat from China, but I doubt it. I don't think it sold as well as they originally anticipated. This isn't based on fact, just my opinion.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
"Freewing as of now stopped production on future new Jet releases as of such, they are focusing now mostly on propeller driven planes, but we may get a surprise."

.............WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!? They have some of the best Foam EDFs on the market. They need to pay attention. Stopping is a mistake in my book. They should be improving and coming up with new birds. Ok....that is my opinion. I am biased since they have 4 of my top 10 (Eurofighter 90mm with TV, F18 90mm with TV, SU34 twin 64mm with TV and F-35 64mm with TV).
This is the current information I have right now.

No further projects on EDF's are planned from Freewing as such.

Sorry but I feel the same as you do, but maybe there is a "surprise"

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:03 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyerCT View Post
Where are you getting this information. Based on discussions I had with Hobby Lobby, this is one of their best selling planes period, and they said that they plan to keep selling and did not believe Treewing would stop producing based on what they know and the sales rate.
Sorry but I'am not allowed to tell you..Freewing and not Treewing will keep on producing the Freewing F-18 and the eurofighter typhoon, but that is it for now.

No new versions are planned.

NS.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:06 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
There's no way that Freewing is switching to propjets... they do not make good electrics. I know this because I spent a lot of time, effort, and money on converting a glow propjet (VMAR F-4 Phantom II) to electric. It flew, but it took a lot of tuning to get it to do so. Propjets sit low to the ground, which means a smaller-diameter prop is required. Smaller-diameter props require a high Kv motor to spin them at a high RPM, which means more amps, which means less efficiency, which means lower flight times. Propjets take away one of the largest advantages of electric flight, which is swinging a large prop. Trust me, I'd have a H9 Jackal if it wasn't a pain in the rear to make it electric.

In short, it ain't happening.

I think Hobby Lobby/Freewing is either deciding on the size of the 2nd production run of the F/A-18E, or whether a 2nd production run is even going to happen at all. It's possible the 2nd run has been done and the planes are on the Slow Boat from China, but I doubt it. I don't think it sold as well as they originally anticipated. This isn't based on fact, just my opinion.
Sorry Mike but for now, it is true to what I said..

But be prepared for the future

Freewing does good stuff but their servos which they make on their own had some flaws causing issues on the first batches or version of the eurofighter and the f-18.

I know a bit more then you guys do

There is for now nothing to much to hide.

NS.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:47 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,260 Posts
Well now that makes more sense.
They are not producing any new projects, save this last one, but will continue to produce what they have been based on demand.

Only thing I'm interested in from them is a PakFa.

Can't think of a prop job that they could capitalize on that hasn't already been done a million ways to Sunday.

Time will tell.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:30 PM
Try to fly :)
Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
29 Posts
Hi Neversommer,
Do you know if their is someone that have airframes only on this bird?
Cause my ESC just died in the air today,and the plane wen´t down as a stone
Crashed beyond repair,but all the electronic beside the ESC seems to be ok.

Peter
piddos is offline Find More Posts by piddos