HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:51 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17 View Post
got the wings on her and just tried the lights,dang there cool! gonna finish my dual canopy and call it a night by 3
Good Luck on your Build!

Get some good sleep and dont forgett to picture everything you do on this Jet, even if it is your final result, and post us which findings you have on your F-18!

Regards

Neversommer.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:06 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
@MustangAce17 - I like the dual-seater mod! Can't wait to see the final product!

@Neversommer - I have no problem with other people posting their build logs in here, just like MustangAce17 is doing. The other thread seems to be general discussion about the plane and I would like to see this thread to be people's build logs and initial mods/tweaks. Maybe once a few of us post our build logs, such as you, MustangAce17, and myself, we can change the threa title to "Hobby Lobby F/A-18E setup information, tweaks, etc." and let it be a repository of info for others. In short, help yourself.

To answer your question about the elevators, as the pictures show, there is a single shaft sticking out of the elevator. It is secured to the airplane by placing a small, grooved plastic cover over the shaft and it is screwed into a small wooden plate with two screws. The elevators do have some fore/aft play to them and that's got me a little concerned so I will be checking them frequently.

As I commented in the other F/A-18 thread, I think 8s is going to be too much for this airframe. Try it on the stock system first with some good batteries; it's plenty fast on this setup. I have a feeling it's hitting terminal velocity and the only thing more power is going to give you is more vertical performance and no additional straight-line speed. YMMV, as that's just my opinion. The plane is definitely not underpowered on the stock setup.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:19 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
@MustangAce17 - I like the dual-seater mod! Can't wait to see the final product!

@Neversommer - I have no problem with other people posting their build logs in here, just like MustangAce17 is doing. The other thread seems to be general discussion about the plane and I would like to see this thread to be people's build logs and initial mods/tweaks. Maybe once a few of us post our build logs, such as you, MustangAce17, and myself, we can change the threa title to "Hobby Lobby F/A-18E setup information, tweaks, etc." and let it be a repository of info for others. In short, help yourself.

To answer your question about the elevators, as the pictures show, there is a single shaft sticking out of the elevator. It is secured to the airplane by placing a small, grooved plastic cover over the shaft and it is screwed into a small wooden plate with two screws. The elevators do have some fore/aft play to them and that's got me a little concerned so I will be checking them frequently.

As I commented in the other F/A-18 thread, I think 8s is going to be too much for this airframe. Try it on the stock system first with some good batteries; it's plenty fast on this setup. I have a feeling it's hitting terminal velocity and the only thing more power is going to give you is more vertical performance and no additional straight-line speed. YMMV, as that's just my opinion. The plane is definitely not underpowered on the stock setup.
Mike, I think you can allready make a change to the Thread Title as we pretty much started with the build thread

I will ask the moderators to maybe change mine as well for something else, since the Freewing has the majority of interest, or I will leave it, once the lanxiang version will come out.

Since the Elevator do have some for/backward movement, I may think to glue the elevators on the fuselage and make a Starmax F-18 style elevator system with 2 servos fitted into the fuselage.

I heard yet generally not much about such elevators failing, but if they are to loose and you do a lot of wild stuff with your jet with the TV on....It may be just a matter of time till something may happen.

Regards

Neversommer.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:32 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
They seem secure, but there is fore/aft play. I'll check them frequently as losing one of those elevators at the speeds this plane flies would not be good.

As far as the landing gear is concerned, picked up the brass tubing today; the larger-diameter tubing will act as a bushing that sits in the wheel hub itself. The smaller-diameter tubing will fit snug on the existing axle and act as the new axle. I will do this for both the front and rear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,938 Posts
Are you drilling a larger hole in the strut to take the bushing? If not the stress is still on the same small axle rod and will bend just the same. Ive used tubes as bushings but over a hardened axle bolt or the like. Look forward to seeing it.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:44 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
I would document it but my time is of the essence and I'm getting it done tonight to maiden in the morning along with test flying my friend's box stock bird,thanks for the comments!
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:52 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Are you drilling a larger hole in the strut to take the bushing? If not the stress is still on the same small axle rod and will bend just the same. Ive used tubes as bushings but over a hardened axle bolt or the like. Look forward to seeing it.
The brass sleeve will slide over the existing axle and be soldered into place. A slightly larger brass sleeve will be inserted into the hole in the wheel which will act as the bushing, and it will be slid over the smaller sleeve soldered onto the axle. Does that make better sense? The existing axles seem to be strong metal so I think I'm okay there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:35 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Morning Guys

I will get in touch with Ready2fly Switzerland today and will address those issues to them.

Since they know me, they always welcome any findings on the planes.

That is the reason why Ready2fly cancelled out the first prototype eurofighter and waited for the 2nd version.

They will forward these Problems hopefully directly to Freewing,mentioning these issues you guys currently all have with the F-18.

If possible, summarize the current problems please by a quick post here or on my thread and I will put it all togheter and give them a call and also sending them an email directly with all problems!!

List them all up just in quick words please, all you can think off!

If we work like this together we may get offical Freewing response and I will forward this to you guys or maybe even ready2fly will take a statement here or in my thread.

I treat this very seriously!

Regards

Neversommer.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:47 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Got some work done on the landing gear last night. I finished up the mains after only one failed attempt. I couldn't figure out how to drill a small enough hole in the brass tubing to use a cotter pin, so I crimped the end. The first attempt didn't work so well because I couldn't crimp the brass enough to stop the washer. That was because I was trying to crimp the brass over the threaded part of the axle. I took it apart and cut off the threaded part of the axle. I then cut a new piece of tubing, slid it on the axle, and soldered it into place. Installed the wheel, a couple of washers, and crimped the end. The second crimp looks much neater than the first.

The larger wheels fit in the wheel well with only some minor modifications to the well itself, which was easily achieved with a sanding drum on my Dremel. I got both rear wheels installed, enlarged one wheel well, and re-glued both rear retract landing gear plates. I will post pics once I get home from work tonight; it was too late and I was too tired to post the pics last night.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Hi Guys

They tried to deliver the plane today, however without success

I start to get annoyed about UPS.

I redirected now the shipping address to my work place, otherwise I wont have it ready anytime soon.

I am not very amused
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:48 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Package arrived..I think UPS must have done a mistake once again.

I also passed on the problems with the F-18 from Freewing to Ready2fly and they will forward it to freewing.

Getting my Camera ready for some nice pictures and movies.

Stay tuned

The SUSPENSE is killing me!

Regards

Neversommer.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:06 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Hi Guys

They tried to deliver the plane today, however without success

I start to get annoyed about UPS.

I redirected now the shipping address to my work place, otherwise I wont have it ready anytime soon.

I am not very amused
I'm sorry you're having problems with UPS. This being a hobby we love so much, it's frustrating when we can't get the package that is scheduled to be delivered with our new toys. I've threatened to find the driver on the road many times, hijack the truck, and grab my package.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:28 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,938 Posts
Mike Then, there were no pictures of the nose gear doors and retract. Roswalt had his jam up on him leading to a failed landing.

Where is the wire connecting the two doors placed? Neversommer highlighted this to be a potential concern which I agree. All the sets of electric retracts that I tried never had huge torque and when I set them up to swing the single door on the Euro, the retract would stall.

Can it jam up if you retract the gear while steering left or right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Mike Then, there were no pictures of the nose gear doors and retract. Roswalt had his jam up on him leading to a failed landing.

Where is the wire connecting the two doors placed? Neversommer highlighted this to be a potential concern which I agree. All the sets of electric retracts that I tried never had huge torque and when I set them up to swing the single door on the Euro, the retract would stall.

Can it jam up if you retract the gear while steering left or right?
I can take a pic of the nose gear door and post if you like. Mine, thankfully, worked fine out of the box. The mechanism is simple; there are two small hooks on the inside of each door. A string (twine, actually) is tied in a loop and is then placed in the hooks, tying the two doors together. When the nose gear retracts, it hits the middle of the string and closes the doors. When the gear comes down, the hinges are spring-loaded so they open as pressure on the string is released. Does that make sense?

One one flight, it looked like the nose gear didn't fully retract and the door was hung open. I cycled the gear in the air and it worked fine after that. All other flights the gear worked fine (wheel issues aside, of course) except for the last flight when the gear was ripped out of the plane. When cutting out the wheel well to fit the bigger wheels, I noticed how easily the gear stalled and became hung at even small amounts of resistance. That's why I made the hole bigger than it needs to be.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,938 Posts
Picture would be good to get a sense of the geometry. I've done similar myself but what makes a difference for these retracts is if the string is near the wheel vs closer to the retract. The further out to the wheel the harder the retract has to work to lift the strut/wheel and close the doors.

Since the motors are so small in all of these Electric Retracts, they can jam up fairly easily and then the overload circuit kicks in.
RCG Plus Member