HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Well after about the 60th flight the airframe starts to crack. Unless mine was a fluke.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
FYI per hobby-lobby today the airframe only version will not be available until the first week in June
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:20 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Well after about the 60th flight the airframe starts to crack. Unless mine was a fluke.
What areas have show signs of cracking? I inspect mine once I get home after every trip to the field & haven't noticed anything yet. I've prolly got about 30 flights on mine.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,869 Posts
Quote:
FYI per hobby-lobby today the airframe only version will not be available until the first week in June
Bah, I should have jumped on one while I had a chance. Man they sold out of those quick!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geurin View Post
Hand launching and belly landing, anybody fly this way? If so did you remove the landing gear? Where I fly is kind of ruff grass and I don't think the landing gear would hold up. Thanks. Drue
Did you read through the thread? I fly off a not-so-perfect grass field and once I made mods to the gear to install larger wheels, I haven't had a problem. The gear themselves are quite sturdy.

And no, belly-landing for this airplane isn't recommended. I had to land it that way once and it chewed up the underside pretty good.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
My cracks started after about 60 flights and high alpha maneuvers. When I brought it around to land the wings were fluttering. I thankfully got it on the ground and the wings had a tremendous amount of flex. Upon further inspection I found stress cracks where the wing saddles meet the fuselage on the bottom of the wing. I then decided to reinforce them and fiberglass the wings. This solved the problem but added weight which drained my 4000mah battery faster than normal. The gear door came loose on take off around the 40th flight due to the hinge design. I suppose the air pressure hitting the gear door caused it to come loose from the front hinge. I glued a piece of balsa wood behind it to prevent it from happening again but when the crash happened I had to throw full left aileron to keep it straight and level so I suspect it happened again despite my efforts.

Perhaps my plane was a fluke but I just wanted to share my experience with the airplane so that you guys can lookout for it.

I guess I will have to research other avenues to get a new airframe or just bite the bullet and purchase the ARF version
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:32 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
i found the same problem with mine yesterday. when i took it out the last 2 times i noticed i needed a bit more right trim each time i flew it. so i investigated what would cause this and found the join you are talking about was not glued. just so people know, its NOT the join where you glue the wings on, its actually on the side of the fuselage. it was worse on one side than the other and so induced the left roll. i epoxied it last night and flew this morning and the problem was gone, but i'll be keeping an eye on it. for people looking to buy this jet, i know it seems like a lot of tweaks are needed to make it reliable, but i reckon its worth it, this jet is awesome to fly
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
Quote:
My cracks started after about 60 flights and high alpha maneuvers. When I brought it around to land the wings were fluttering. I thankfully got it on the ground and the wings had a tremendous amount of flex. Upon further inspection I found stress cracks where the wing saddles meet the fuselage on the bottom of the wing. I then decided to reinforce them and fiberglass the wings. This solved the problem but added weight which drained my 4000mah battery faster than normal. The gear door came loose on take off around the 40th flight due to the hinge design. I suppose the air pressure hitting the gear door caused it to come loose from the front hinge. I glued a piece of balsa wood behind it to prevent it from happening again but when the crash happened I had to throw full left aileron to keep it straight and level so I suspect it happened again despite my efforts.

Perhaps my plane was a fluke but I just wanted to share my experience with the airplane so that you guys can lookout for it.

I guess I will have to research other avenues to get a new airframe or just bite the bullet and purchase the ARF version
I see...well I'll keep n eye on the airframe for cracks, would hate to lose her due to flutter in the wings/airframe. If the post about the airframe coming in June is correct then it'll save u some cash. If the airframe only version doesn't come out the plane is a joy to fly n I would also be tempted to buy a new plane. Its that much fun n a sight for sore eyes.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:39 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
By all means is this the best plane i have ever owned hence all the effort to rebuild her. I have no reason to make things up and my only goal here is to advise my fellow jet jockeys lol.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:34 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
I noticed the manual that came with the plane did not give details on the level elevator setup. I looked on the HL website and found they had an electronic manual which had more detail. Can anyone confirm if the elevator setup shown on the HL website is correct? It suggests neutral is 5/8 inch below the seam line.
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:08 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
That's where I have mine set and it was good.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:23 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,063 Posts
I believe that is "5/16" below the seam line.

Mfpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannoch RC View Post
I noticed the manual that came with the plane did not give details on the level elevator setup. I looked on the HL website and found they had an electronic manual which had more detail. Can anyone confirm if the elevator setup shown on the HL website is correct? It suggests neutral is 5/8 inch below the seam line.
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
Quote:
By all means is this the best plane i have ever owned hence all the effort to rebuild her. I have no reason to make things up and my only goal here is to advise my fellow jet jockeys lol.
Wasn't implying that you were making things up, just was responding that I understood the flutter in the wings n the purpose of your glassing. I just thought maybe u started to notice stress cracks from hard landings, maneuvers, or just wear n tear also. But I'll keep n eye on it.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I'm so pissed that the only way I can get my jet back in the air is to buy the ARF version or wait until June freakin sucks
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,702 Posts
What was the reason for the June delay per HL? Hopefully come June they don't delay it again. Either way imma buy me an airframe kit when they come out, cuz I'm sure they'll sell out fast. I don't wanna be in your posistion firehawk when that fateful day come. I used to take a handful of planes to the field...now I just take my super hornet n rotate 1 of the other 5 planes out.