HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Yep that's what I counted. I wonder if I should buy the one piece rotor from parkrcmodels.com. Another thought is that if this fan blows up I'm going to install my extremerc alloy shroud/ HET 700-68-1680kv wemo rotor and run it on 6s. I could always buy the 12 blade one piece rotor to retain the sound.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,784 Posts
Have you ever check edfhobbies? They are located in FW, Texas. Lots of fan and motor options just like parkrcmodels. Both are great vendors whom I use often.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Just ran up the fan and it sounds great no vibration through the throttle range. Numbers are108 Amps 2343 watts 27968rpms temp 161.7░F.
Battery was slightly warm after running for 4:00
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,784 Posts
Good to hear you got that vibration down.

#s will heat and amps will definitely drop inflight. Also did u add a heat sink to the motor with thermal paste? Something I also recommend.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,784 Posts
Fire,

Here's a vid I posted just the other day of my euro flight. Notice on spool up on takeoff before she accelerates, how smooth and quit she hums...

Then on a few of my slower speed 1/2 throttle flybys she's just sounds so smooth, then the high speed dives and passes turbine like. Worth the trouble of getting a fan properly balanced. Glad u didn't give up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6431
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I didn't think I could add a heatsink since the barrel of the motor is covered by the fan shroud. There is little room there. I did see your video and thought it sounded good. Tonight was the first night I got to hear my fan from a short distance and I love it. Can't wait to hear it take off.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,784 Posts
Okay well that makes sense if your using the CS shroud. I used the stock FW shroud so it's shorter and allows a heatsink to be added.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I'm not too freaked out after doing some research and I have an alternate fan to throw in there if this one craps out. I held the nose of the airplane throughout the throttle range and felt zero vibration. That's not to say my hand is terribly accurate but judging from the sound change after balancing I think I'm good.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:53 PM
mmflytie
United States, FL, Clermont
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
smooth rotation on f 18

Well I think I've figured out the problem with the F18 not having a gradual smooth rotation. The nose wheel is too short so that the plane actually points a little down. The faster it goes down the runway the more force is pushed down on it. So I have engineered a longer nose gear to raise the angle of attack. i'll report my findings

Marc
mmflytie is offline Find More Posts by mmflytie
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:28 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Marc,

I had the same exact problem with an F-22. The plane would take a great deal of runway then suddenly pop up in to the air. I shortened the main gear and found this solved the problem by giving her a slightly positive angle-of-attack on her gear.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:31 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Fire,

Here's a vid I posted just the other day of my euro flight. Notice on spool up on takeoff before she accelerates, how smooth and quit she hums...

Then on a few of my slower speed 1/2 throttle flybys she's just sounds so smooth, then the high speed dives and passes turbine like. Worth the trouble of getting a fan properly balanced. Glad u didn't give up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6431
V8,

Man she sounds really sweet! It seems like the EDF turbine technology has really advanced dramatically these past two years. Gone are the annoying high-pitched motor sounds and the big multi-blade turbine blades create such a pleasant woosh sound. Frankly, it doesn't sound like a military jet, it sounds more like a quiet business jet. Which is a good thing.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:38 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,784 Posts
Thanks Jacks!

You think that sounds good you should hear my latest Eurofoghter vid. Same fan different motor. Ya ground sure is gaining on that much sought after turbine sound. can wait to see what the next 10yrs brings.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:00 PM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
641 Posts
hey v8 you were asking about legs for hornet they are on hobbyking. large scale f-18 retracts and legs
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Flew the F-18 today with the new cs12 and it went great got 6 flights and it was awesome every flight. I am also now charging two 6s batteries simultaneously from 20% to 100% in 21 minutes
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:10 AM
scunna
United Kingdom, England, South Shields
Joined May 2007
641 Posts
Well good news and bad news. The 7 pound 5 once hornet flies.

the bad news is damaged on landing but repairable.

Flew of grass 200 ft take off. sounds awesome flew for 2 minutes . 3200 watts on 8s 1400kv het motor 105 amps 2 old 45-90c 4s nanotech lipos on landing nosewheel hit a rut and flipped model nose damaged and fins but repairable, think i will save it for runways. the sound is incredible.

below pics of my f-18 next to my modified hk harrier. twice the weight

video uploading in 30 mins was taken on my phone excuse the bad language at the end LOL
scunna is offline Find More Posts by scunna