1,143 Posts
The esc?
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:23 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,929 Posts
Yes,,, hanging in front front of the fan, or in one of the exausts??
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:31 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
It will be mounted in the stock location in front of the fan close to the battery bay
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I will have to remove the EC-5 and throw on a deans and I guess I'll keep the cap pack installed to absorb any voltage ripple. This is my 8s esc.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Figured I would share this with you guys

Electronic speed controller from a ventilation blower on a king air 200
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:29 PM
mmflytie
United States, FL, Clermont
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
I just recently got my latest version of FA 18 Super Hornet. I love this thing but does anybody know how to do a smooth take off? The maiden flight I actually ran out of runway(300 ft) before finally pulling all elevator and it lept almost straight up into the air. I was expecting a more gradual takeoff as I apply elevator( was running prettymuch wide open throttle)
FA 18E Super Hornet (5 min 29 sec)
mmflytie is offline Find More Posts by mmflytie
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:40 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Hmm... Mine lifts of fairly gentle with gradual elevator input, but I have a higher power setup. What are your elevator neutrals set at? The may be forcing her to stay down until you give that last bit of elevator that makes her jump.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:02 PM
mmflytie
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
When you say "high power setup" are you referring to xflight cs12 combo?,,, what exactly is that and where do you purchase that) I suppose you could be correct about my elevator holding it down till it reaches a critical point then has too much effect but I have the elevator trimmed so that in level flight I only need to hold a bit of back pressure on the right stick to fly her level. Ive never flown full surface elevators before....maybe this is how they react.Just curious , when you have your elevators in neutral where does the pointed leading edge of the elevator point to on the side of the fuselage? Mine point almost right at the seam line of the side of the fuselage
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:42 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
You should be able to trim for level flight just like any other plane. If you are having trouble rotating for takeoff, try the CG test by rolling inverted and see if down elevator is required for level flight. If so, move the battery back.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:01 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmflytie View Post
When you say "high power setup" are you referring to xflight cs12 combo?,,, what exactly is that and where do you purchase that) I suppose you could be correct about my elevator holding it down till it reaches a critical point then has too much effect but I have the elevator trimmed so that in level flight I only need to hold a bit of back pressure on the right stick to fly her level. Ive never flown full surface elevators before....maybe this is how they react.Just curious , when you have your elevators in neutral where does the pointed leading edge of the elevator point to on the side of the fuselage? Mine point almost right at the seam line of the side of the fuselage
cs12 1500kv gets 1:1 vs the stock motors 9:1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:07 PM
mmflytie
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Where did you purchase this and exactly what is a xflight cs12 combo.? Can I still use my 3700 and 4200 6s batteries and get 4 -5 minutes flight time? What differences do you see? speed, climb rate, sound?Thx
Marc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
The manual shows the front tip of the stabilators to be around a quarter inch down from the seam in the airframe. That's where I set mine and had no issues on the maiden. Granted it did leap in the air but it wasn't real crazy. I had to add an ounce and a quarter to the tail to get proper CG with a 40c 4000mah battery. Nose heavy airplanes still fly but they will be stubborn to rotate on takeoff and will require a bit of uptrim.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Exactly what I was gonna say fireH. If elevators are set coreectly then move on to cg or vice versa.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmflytie View Post
I just recently got my latest version of FA 18 Super Hornet. I love this thing but does anybody know how to do a smooth take off? The maiden flight I actually ran out of runway(300 ft) before finally pulling all elevator and it lept almost straight up into the air. I was expecting a more gradual takeoff as I apply elevator( was running prettymuch wide open throttle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F802HbeIuIw
From your video,I saw your elevator position was wrong. You need 8mm up elevator from your current position. What mah battery do you use ? If it is 4000mah, then all the way backward..
genghiskt is offline Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Hey V8 you running a 1500kv motor instead of the 1600kv? I ordered the combo from x-flight. Does it come assembled and balanced?

mmflytie,
If you watch his video on page 169 you will see the differences of the CS12 combo. The stock unit is not bad but there is a noticeable difference in V8's video.