HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
could anyone give me a clue as to how to get the triple y harness out for the retracts? mine is fried and I need to replace it. Also, can anyone tell me how to tighten up the retracts, mine are developing play in them, I hope there is a way! Thank you in advance.
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
could anyone give me a clue as to how to get the triple y harness out for the retracts? mine is fried and I need to replace it. Also, can anyone tell me how to tighten up the retracts, mine are developing play in them, I hope there is a way! Thank you in advance.
The Y is bundled and zip tied with the other wires leading to the Rx (at least it is on mine) and plugs in at the other end to the retract connectors. The main wires fish out fairly easy once you disconnect them at the retract. The connection to the Y is in the fuse so you'll need to pull that up the wheel well to disconnect the retract plug. On the nose retract connector: mine got hung up in the fuse on the plug and the wiring pulled out. It was a little short anyway so I added about 3".

There are at least 4 ways that the retracts get play in them: 1) The mount that screws to the ply mounting. 2) The strut that inserts into the retract. 3) The gear that attaches to the strut. 4) The block that rotates in the retract body. The last one is an eventuality that comes with use. Which one are you asking about?
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:26 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,930 Posts
Has anyone flown the f-18 on 7s ? I quess to much for the cs-12?
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:55 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
You can go 7s on the Cs12, but you'll have to have a motor in the 1300-1400kv range.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Welp I killed a gens ace 4000mah 25c today while flying my fa18e. Around 3mins. I felt power wasn't what it was supposed to be so I landed asap and pulled off a great landing. Tried to taxi back...no go. Walk to the plane give a lil throttle and she wines up and I taxi her back to my pickup truck. Open up battery tray and my receiver has its red light blinking indicating a loss of power/signal/whatever... I pull the battery and 3 of the 6 cells puffed bad. So now im starting to second guess my gens 25c on my CS12. They've been fine since January-ish until now. Thank god they came out with the 35c & up lipos from gens, gonna have to give em a look. Also possibly killed my 5300mah 30c gens on my SU35 also, we'll see! Maybe its my flying style, WOT 15sec bursts? Oh well
i use 2x3s 4000ma 25c - 60c Genace. Havent had any issues with them except the 60C versions are 1.5mm wider than the 25c version. so its a snug fit inside.

V8, I've also used 2x3s 3700ma 65c genesis, no issues so far and this and my Mig-29 are the only planes i use them in. So far no issues. They do have a 3s 4500ma im thinking of trying out. the 6s 4500ma 65c are solid. Every time i charge it now each cell is 4.2. Also on a crash ( shivver at the thought) i have destroyed 2 genesis batteries and they didnt burn up. the last one my Mig-29 had left slat malfunction and caused the let to nose in over the left wing. was @ full speed maybe 110mph or 120mph doing a low pass over the runway @ 2 feet. Only Foam left was dual vert stabs and TV nozzels. check out the pic, not bad at all. 4 cells read perfectly, 1 @ 3v 1 @ 2.8v. no leakage. impressive...

flying style for me, WOT 75% of the time.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:46 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,930 Posts
well, I put the gear back on mine, got about 15-20 flight's at the new local club. Ive had 1 unexplaned crash, which was minor, it didnt recover from a vectored spin.. landed flat in tall weeds. now I cant seem to keep the main gear on it. about ever 3rd, or 4th landing is a little hard, and the lite ply pulls away from the foam. There's limited foam there to glue too. Never managed to get the nosegear door's back on, so my max speed seems to be only about 85... maybe it's the 108 degree temps. too damm hot to fly. only fly 2 packs, and go home. anyone know the cheapest source for a new airframe only?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
i use 2x3s 4000ma 25c - 60c Genace. Havent had any issues with them except the 60C versions are 1.5mm wider than the 25c version. so its a snug fit inside.

V8, I've also used 2x3s 3700ma 65c genesis, no issues so far and this and my Mig-29 are the only planes i use them in. So far no issues. They do have a 3s 4500ma im thinking of trying out. the 6s 4500ma 65c are solid. Every time i charge it now each cell is 4.2. Also on a crash ( shivver at the thought) i have destroyed 2 genesis batteries and they didnt burn up. the last one my Mig-29 had left slat malfunction and caused the let to nose in over the left wing. was @ full speed maybe 110mph or 120mph doing a low pass over the runway @ 2 feet. Only Foam left was dual vert stabs and TV nozzels. check out the pic, not bad at all. 4 cells read perfectly, 1 @ 3v 1 @ 2.8v. no leakage. impressive...

flying style for me, WOT 75% of the time.
Thanks for the info War. I may end up trying those genesis or gens ace 60c on my 90mm edf's. Ordered some cheap zippy 45c 4000mah to get me by for the mean time. Also have a 4600mah 35c gens ace im trying. Your flying style is like mine 75% WOT. So this info is really helpful.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:26 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,001 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info War. I may end up trying those genesis or gens ace 60c on my 90mm edf's. Ordered some cheap zippy 45c 4000mah to get me by for the mean time. Also have a 4600mah 35c gens ace im trying. Your flying style is like mine 75% WOT. So this info is really helpful.
I've been looking around for the GensAce battery of the right size and good C rating but it seems the usual places are generally sold out.
I was using 5000 mah NanoTechs 35 - 70C in my F/A-18 and flying like you guys, both of them got hot and puffy. They still re-charged up OK and they still work but I don't like that they get so hot. Now I use them in my SU-35. Same thing. I'm about to build the Eurofighter and the new HobbyKing BD-5 and plan to use the same batteries. I've got a Zippy Flightmax 45C, 5000mah on the way to try. If that doesn't perform any better, it's GensAce then. I'll use the Nanos to power my flashlight.

PS, I really miss my F/A-18. It flew so much nicer and looks so much nicer than the SU-35. If the Eurofighter doesn't pan out, I may get another F/A-18. Where are people buying them from these days?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Value-hobby and Banana Hobby now stocks em. I got my Fa18e & Euro from Value hobby. Shipping in the states is fast n cheap. Ill keep you updated and informed how my 4000mah 45c zippys pan out on the euro n fa18. My 5000mah zippy 40c I use on the su35. Already killed 1.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,001 Posts
Quote:
My 5000mah zippy 40c I use on the su35. Already killed 1.
Dang! Not looking good for my Zippy.
Thanks for the heads up about where to buy.

Just checked Value Hobby. They don't ship to international addresses. I'm in Canada. And they don't seem to have the FA-18 listed now. And BH and I have "history".
Last edited by xviper; Aug 10, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Dang! Not looking good for my Zippy.
Thanks for the heads up about where to buy.

Just checked Value Hobby. They don't ship to international addresses. I'm in Canada. And they don't seem to have the FA-18 listed now. And BH and I have "history".
here's the airframe only if you still have the electronics lying around from your last one. Or better yet you can build one up as I did. 100a esc hw, cs12, 1500kv motor, separate bec, servos, etc...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_f_a_1...32912_prd1.htm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,001 Posts
Quote:
here's the airframe only if you still have the electronics lying around from your last one. Or better yet you can build one up as I did. 100a esc hw, cs12, 1500kv motor, separate bec, servos, etc...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_f_a_1...32912_prd1.htm
Thanks for looking out for me. The guts from my 18 is going into the Eurofighter. I tried buying one from HL but it was so much cheaper to get it from Australia. The shipping that HL uses to Canada is outrageous.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,930 Posts
Thanks v8, Ive seen that, was hoping someone had one for $150.00. Mines not dead yet. just almost. lots of fiberglassssss.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
The Y is bundled and zip tied with the other wires leading to the Rx (at least it is on mine) and plugs in at the other end to the retract connectors. The main wires fish out fairly easy once you disconnect them at the retract. The connection to the Y is in the fuse so you'll need to pull that up the wheel well to disconnect the retract plug. On the nose retract connector: mine got hung up in the fuse on the plug and the wiring pulled out. It was a little short anyway so I added about 3".

There are at least 4 ways that the retracts get play in them: 1) The mount that screws to the ply mounting. 2) The strut that inserts into the retract. 3) The gear that attaches to the strut. 4) The block that rotates in the retract body. The last one is an eventuality that comes with use. Which one are you asking about?
the struts themselves seem to have developed play and I have no clue why, I finally got that stupid triple y out need to go get a new one
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
the struts themselves seem to have developed play and I have no clue why, I finally got that stupid triple y out need to go get a new one
You'll need to take the retract off of the ply mount. There are grub screws that hold the strut in the rotating block. Try tightening those up. If that helps; back the grub screws out and put some blue loctite on the screw and let the loctite dry before putting the grub screws back in. That should hold the struts fairly well.

A suggestion: If you haven't done it yet; while you have the retracts out coat the foam and ply in the gear mounting pockets and sides with epoxy. That will help to strengthen the whole area to withstand the stress of landings.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm