HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:22 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,720 Posts
@neversommer; you should have plenty of mixes especially if you are not setting the tailplanes up as tailerons.
4mixes for TV, 1mix for Stabilator.
If you want to get creative, you can use the Vtail or delta mix on the tailerons, again 4 mixes for the TV and one each for the ailerons/flapperons to make it more to scale.

Re servo reversers; I find they drift and can fail. By the time you spend $$$ for a reverser you may as well have bought a programmably reversable digital servo. Or you can solder the reverse your self.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined May 2010
21 Posts
Just maddened my f18, absolutely amazing very stable, and fast. I didn't bring it Down low, but I'm sure it's approaching triple digits. I flew mine completely stock with the TV disabled. She burned probably 200ft of runway but I let her get plenty of speed,she was ready to fly by 120' or so.(off pavement) she didn't pop off the ground aggressively on rotation either all pretty stable. I'm flying with a 4000mah 30c pack. I had my timer set to 3:40 just to be safe, my next packs will be 5000mahs. for being my first large edf jet I am impressed and defiantly in love. I plan to get a twin 70mm f22 next
XLSPilot85 is offline Find More Posts by XLSPilot85
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
My Atari has 77tons, and flies
Stuttgart
Joined Nov 2010
46 Posts
Hi, as Im relatively new with EDFs(15 jears of large gliders) and the wide variety of supplies/brands is just too much at a glance, Ive got hope some people here can answer a few questions quickly for me...
What servos(make/model) give best results/reliability vs. price for the F-18 ?

Will a BEC not be a bit overstressed by 8/9 servos plus lights?
(off topic but wondering...the LX twin 70mm EDFs have up to 17 servos. Do they have 10A BECs or multiple or what???)

Better fly with separate receiver battery?

Whats the best fitting Lipo for longest flt. time?

And last... is there some software out there to compare best efficiency of motor/fan setups? Want to find THE best motor for Wemo Midifan on 6S

Sorry for my lesser experience :-)
veithjj is offline Find More Posts by veithjj
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:33 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpastro View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a good set of electric retracts for the 90mm Starmax F-18 and was wondering if the units for the Hobby Lobby Super Hornet would work. I like the trailing link struts on them. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
To be very honest with you, those electric retracts from the hobby lobby version would be to small in size to fit them.

The E-Flite 15-25 Electric retracts will do with a few modifications the best job, also they can hold up a pretty good weight

Hope this helped

Regards
Neversommer
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:11 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
@neversommer; you should have plenty of mixes especially if you are not setting the tailplanes up as tailerons.
4mixes for TV, 1mix for Stabilator.
If you want to get creative, you can use the Vtail or delta mix on the tailerons, again 4 mixes for the TV and one each for the ailerons/flapperons to make it more to scale.

Re servo reversers; I find they drift and can fail. By the time you spend $$$ for a reverser you may as well have bought a programmably reversable digital servo. Or you can solder the reverse your self.
Hello Max,
Yes I know.. Its gonna be like a similar story like the eurofighter setup hmm??
Since I am using 2 same servos for the elevators, i need to mix 1 with the elevator so it will move the same direction like the other servo.

I will be flying with TV turned on but 1 with higher movement then the other for take offs and landing.

I think a 4500mah battery will be the best bet for weight and cg purposes, however a 5000 mah battery would be even better but I may end up with cg issues.

The Starmax F-18 balances out very nicely in comparison to a 4000 mah battery and the cg is spot on.

Lets see how it turns out

The mixing part will require some hard time I think

regards
neversommer
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2003
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
To be very honest with you, those electric retracts from the hobby lobby version would be to small in size to fit them.

The E-Flite 15-25 Electric retracts will do with a few modifications the best job, also they can hold up a pretty good weight

Hope this helped

Regards
Neversommer
Thanks Neversommer. I'll consider the E-flites.

Mike
Viper1957 is offline Find More Posts by Viper1957
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper1957 View Post
Thanks Neversommer. I'll consider the E-flites.

Mike
Not a Problem at all Viper.

The biggest modifications to be done is the nose steering wheel, basically that will be the part where the biggest mods needs to be done.

You can either choose to keep the plastic mounts on the rear retracts or to exchange them with self made wooden mount blocks which will hold up better for the long term

regards

neversommer
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:49 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,720 Posts
Quote:

Hope this helped

Regards
Neversommer
Never you realize (with the exception of the rail type nose gear) these are the Eflite retracts and the only difference between the 10-15 and 15-25 is the 3mm wire to a 4.5mm wire. You can drill out trunnion axles and fit these for 5mm struts if you were so inclined. Thats why HL is using these same retract on the next batch of EF2Ks. You just made mpastro and Viper1957 spend twice the money for the same thing.

Quote:
Hello Max,
Yes I know.. Its gonna be like a similar story like the eurofighter setup hmm??
Since I am using 2 same servos for the elevators, i need to mix 1 with the elevator so it will move the same direction like the other servo.
Actually its different from the Euro if you are just setting these up as stabilators. This is done with most planes with two servos to drive an elevator. Most don't get a reversed servo they just reverse one of them at the TX from its own channel.
If you are going for taileron then you'd use the delta mix, an external mixer or need more channels.

As for the TV with the 4 mixes you can set the TV to three different throws and expo. I just keep the TV at max throw, or max travel as long as the TV doesn't bind, since its not a flight surface. I'd set different levels of expo.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Nov 14, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2003
111 Posts
Are E-flite retracts and Super Hornet retracts the same?

So Maxthrottle, are you saying that the electric retracts on the Hobby Lobby Super Hornet are actually the same as the E-flite .15 - .25 retracts? It they are, they should work on the Starmax F-18.

Regarding the struts on the Super Hornet, can someone please tell me what the distance is from the bottom of the fuselage to the centre of the wheel axle of the main gear when the strut is "compressed"?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Viper1957 is offline Find More Posts by Viper1957
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,720 Posts
Viper this is off topic for the build thread but single answer and you can PM me to continue the conversation.
More a cross breed of a RCLander with a Eflite but they are rated the same. These are taller than Eflites but judge for yourself;
FW Eurofighter retracts
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1695

I meantioned to Jason that since these appear to be Eflite retracts they would not sit flush for the Euro main gear bay since these retracts are about 22mm deep.
I just noticed HL have taken the links to the future Euro retract that Jason had mentioned down from the HL site part list. Jason mentioned the same that was on the F18 was going to be used on the Euro. The Euro s come in at 5.5-6.2 lbs.

FW F18 retract
See pictures below

Horizon Eflite Retracts
The main difference of Eflites to these is the Nose retract is different.
Note one persons comment regarding the difference between the 10-15 and the 15-25 ; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=23

look at th close ups of the Eflites
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3026034

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3026035

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3548230

The size and shape, brass trunnion axle, screw patterns are all the same. The mount patterns may be wider on the Eflites.
The only thing that may differ is the electronics which after looking at ChangeSun, RCLanders, Eflites and now the FW all appear to be the same.

Eflites go for $125 http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG230 but when HL had them posted they were for $69 and RCCastle has them for $63.

The main difference of the Eflite retracts is the nose retract with the reversed type mount. On the F18 and Future Euro Retract they just used another main gear type retract, didn't lock it in place to freely steer and added a steering arm.

The Strut wire goes through that brass trunnion axle and on the 10-15 it is drilled to 3.5mm but on the 15-25 its drilled to 4.5mm. Theres another pic somewhere either in this build thread or the other that shows the F18 strut wire thickness to be 4.5mm (which is why I kept asking for anyone to post the strut dia. I forgot the name but again thank you).

Since HL updated their site likely to release the new version of the Euro on black friday, but because there shipments times are iffy I ordered a set from RCCastle. I'll post pics once it arrives.

The struts are obviously different but should be able to accomadate the range of struts from http://www.smartmodel.com.hk/product...51&third_id=86 that have 5mm strut wires and handle from 40 -120 sized models. Or you can go old school with wire struts like the Eflite retracts.
Nothing against Horiz but when I started seeing the price differences on stock from HK and the like I realized to be watchful of sourcing this stuff direct from other Vendors if the stuff was available. Take a look at EC3 and EC5 bullets from Hor vs HK.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:07 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,067 Posts
Flew the jet twice yesterday... the first time was the first flight after the strengthening of the stabilators. It was way out of trim (yay) but once I trimmed it out it flew fine.

The second flight was done once it got dark and it was out of trim, again, although it was just the ailerons. I think it's the cheapo servos aren't holding center, and since I have a lot invested in this plane, I'm going to change the elevator and aileron servos to something stronger and more reliable. And whoever put "the plane can be flown at night by an experience pilot" in the manual was dead wrong.... you cannot see those lights at night, period. The only light visible was the nose-gear light. Made two circuits, landed, and considered myself lucky as I lost orientation many many times during those two circuits due to the low visibility of the lights. Lesson learned, and I was lucky!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,720 Posts
ditto on the servos. I found much the same after going thru 33 of them. They are ok for a clean TV and small stuff like doors etc. but on the main flight surfaces I couldn't trust them. Few ever centered and almost all of them buzzed.

Night flight; good to hear it didn't freak you out. I tried it on one of my Euros at dusk and realized if I can't see the ground the lights wouldn't matter. Had to put my cloths in the laundry as soon as I got home after sweating buckets. They could use 10mm LED Superbrights instead but even then it has to be really close in field flying.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
ditto on the servos. I found much the same after going thru 33 of them. They are ok for a clean TV and small stuff like doors etc. but on the main flight surfaces I couldn't trust them. Few ever centered and almost all of them buzzed.

Night flight; good to hear it didn't freak you out. I tried it on one of my Euros at dusk and realized if I can't see the ground the lights wouldn't matter. Had to put my cloths in the laundry as soon as I got home after sweating buckets. They could use 10mm LED Superbrights instead but even then it has to be really close in field flying.
I'll be perfectly honest when I say there was a couple of times I thought it was a goner. Another club member talked me through the attitude of the plane. Never again! I believe I had the same "laundry issues" as you did.

Definitely going to upgrade the servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:44 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,277 Posts
Mike great info here ...i hav'nt read the whole thing but the take off proplem you had ....when you chopped the power and the plane came off the ground .that is a thrust line issue ...i guess you could try putting some up thrust in it and then sucuring your nozzles ....if you already fixed this issue than good for you ...i just did'nt have time to read the whole thread.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Mike great info here ...i hav'nt read the whole thing but the take off proplem you had ....when you chopped the power and the plane came off the ground .that is a thrust line issue ...i guess you could try putting some up thrust in it and then sucuring your nozzles ....if you already fixed this issue than good for you ...i just did'nt have time to read the whole thread.
Yeah, I solved it with some larger wheels and adding some flaperons during takeoff. The plane comes off the ground in short order but I have to hit the gear and flaperon switches quickly once airborne.

I ordered new servos last night, 4 Hitec HS-65HB servos for the ailerons and elevators.
RCG Plus Member