HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
To me it's sounds like a short. Either the deans, the three esc bullets, the or even the Rx throttle connection. Run it up a bit, jiggle the wires, check all solder connections.
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
What's odd is that it was happening to both V1 ESC, fan and motor and V3 ESC, fan and motor. What's really strange is that the motor sounds fantastic! Plenty of air is being pushed out the back end which is even more strange given the lack of push or thrust to the air frame.

I thought it may be the wheels stuck, but they all turn freely.

I may have to bring it in to the LHS to have the resident electronics dude run through it to see if he can decipher the issue. Thanks guys for trying to help out. I really appreciate all the comments and ideas.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Aros have you ran it on a watt meter to check everything is as it should be. Is the battery working on all cells.
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:57 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
No watt meter...It's one of those essential tools of the hobby I have been too stupid and too lazy to purchase. (slaps forehead).

Guess what I'm going to request for father's day this year?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Here's a good 1 and Identical to the $23 Turnigy from HK, ends up being cheaper since shipping from HK is a rip off.

http://www.toysonics.com/gt-power-13...-analyzer.html
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Bookmarked. Thanks pal!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Okay, here we go.

I nominate myself for the Darwin Awards.

The motor/EDF was backwards.

(face palm)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,919 Posts
Your eligibility for the Darwin Award is null. You detected the problem before a terminal outcome. Better luck next time
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
USA, FL, Gulf Breeze-Harold
Joined Aug 2008
72 Posts
Well, after losing my HET F-16 to a RX lockout I've been craving the EDF sound... So I splurged this weekend on the Hobby-Lobby site and picked up one of these F-18's! Unfortunately, I didn't read the whole thread before buying. Could have saved 60 bucks of so with the value hobby link.

Does the V2 come with metal wheel collars? if not, i need to pick some up. I ordered a CC BEC pro v2, some EC5 connectors and some digital metal gear servos from EP buddy. Are the stock servos holding up for everyone? From the reading it sounds like a mixed consensus.

I plan to run my 6S 5000 40C packs from my 700 sized helo's. Understand the weight may cause fast landings and make it unable to hover, but hey- I like flight time!

What is the best fan/motor combo for 6S to power it over 1/1?

Can't wait to get this baby in the air! Next weekend!

Ryan
Rpotter90 is offline Find More Posts by Rpotter90
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Flew this morning (with the motor and fan facing the right direction, imagine that), wow my V1 motor really is faster than my V3 was! She's back in business!

(Still too afraid to TV the crap out of her yet)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Omg! Aros u gotta b kidding me, lol! U had me scratching.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Tell me about it! LOL!

If I would have taken my time putting the EDF unit back in, I would have realized my mistake. But it sits virtually the same either way. Closer inspection however shows the little grooves for the front lip of the fan that faces forward.

My stupidity at times amazes me.

I flew her again this afternoon and MAN does she scream on that V1 setup! I'm not sure why the V1 motor and fan would be approximately 20MPH faster at WOT. They both look identical. I tried High Alpha at about 100 feet today...I must be doing something wrong. I slowed her down to a crawl, put the nose in a high AOA and got on the throttle but the wings started rocking and she tipped stalled, dropping a good 50 feet! Had I been lower, I would have been bringing her home in pieces.

I really want to do High Alpha but maybe I need to mix less throw in for my ailerons at high rate. I also feel like I need instruction in how to do it correctly. Something isn't right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,919 Posts
You might want to consider setting up a spoileron mix for when you fly high-alpha.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Spoileron mix...Interesting...I'll look into that. Thanks..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:03 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Does anyone have issues with orientation? This one gets away from me so quickly and with the dark blue livery I often find myself with my heart in my toes trying to make sure I'm not flipping her upside down...Nothing worse than silhouette flying. For most planes it's not a problem keeping them within a 150 foot radius with easy visibility but this one likes to be 200 feet plus and depending on the time of day, it can be really tricky to discern orientation.
RCG Plus Member