HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:05 AM
deanz406
Latrobe, Pa.
Joined Oct 2010
88 Posts
Question
HELP-Mr. Mulligan kit, or plans

Does anyone know who may have a set of plans for a 60 size Mr Mulligan?? I do have a 1/4 scale Nosen already framed up, but really want a 60 sized plane, preferably, something with a 60" wingspan or close. I do remember seeing an ad somewhere years ago, that Jim Pepino could draft up scale plans for almost any size. I don't know if he is still in business. It has been a while since I've flown, and am retired now, and want to get back to flying again. Any info, or ideas would be most welcomed. I've thought about trying to do a scratch one, using a foam core, and adding the stringers, and other structures to the foam base, building a standard ribbed wing, and tail, to keep it in the 6-10 lb range. Thanks for any suggestions.
deanz406 is offline Find More Posts by deanz406
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
Celebrating 300 posts!
Kirtland, OH
Joined Mar 2010
306 Posts
I may have found something for you. I did a search on Google. I found something on a website called Aviation Trivia.

http://www.aviationtrivia.info/Howar...--Mulligan.php

It mentioned this...

Uncle Willies has plans for sale for a C/L Mr. Mulligan that can be converted to a radio control airplane. Wingspan is 52" and length is 40". It needs a .60 2C engine for power.

Here is the link to Uncle Willie's Mr. Mulligan plans...

http://myunclewilliestoo.com/about58.html
markb0127 is offline Find More Posts by markb0127
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:44 PM
Owner of CFC Graphics
Florida
Joined Aug 2008
215 Posts
Do you really need plans or is a good 3-view enough?

Charles
avaiojet is offline Find More Posts by avaiojet
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,983 Posts
Flying Models magazine offers a .60 size stand-off RC scale Mr. Mulligan plan (CF510 Mr. Mulligan). This plan was by Tony Lombardo, some time back, and should produce a nice model. Check it out at Flying Models/Carstens Flying Plans. You should be able to get the plan and a copy of the original article. Good luck on your build!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:43 PM
deanz406
Latrobe, Pa.
Joined Oct 2010
88 Posts
Help- Mr Mulligan

Thank you all for your tips, and hints. I checked out all of the websites that u posted, except the Thunder Tiger website. There are enough pics in them, to get an idea of how I may be able to scratch build my own version, and for me, that would be a really rewarding experience. I do have several 3 view drawings, and still have my original Nosen plans, so I'm going to work on scaling the wing to 1/6 scale, which would give me the 60 " span that i want. I thought about taking the Nosen plane, which hasn't been covered yet, and doing some fuselage designing, using a foam core base, and adding the necessary stringers for the scale look. I think I can scale down the fuselage correctly, with my framed up Nosen plane, and get the measurements, and structure details from it. I'm going to photograph every step of the project, and hopefully, in a couple months, I'll be able to post some of the results. Many thanks for ur input, and help. I just have a thing for high wing cabin monoplanes, and the DGA6 is probably my favorite. Dean
deanz406 is offline Find More Posts by deanz406
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:39 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
I have a set of plans for a 58" rubber powerd Mr.Mulligan.Pm me if your interested.
KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
USA, DE, Dover
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
check with stuflyrc@verizon.net, I belived he just finished his Mr mulligan.
cauley65 is offline Find More Posts by cauley65
Last edited by cauley65; Nov 12, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
629 Posts
I have a 52" ws RC version of a Mr. Mulligan picked up at a swap meet. It has ailerons and flaps but the flaps have been glued shut and covered over. I'm wondering why. Any idea of who may have produced a kit of this size ?

Richard
rszanti is offline Find More Posts by rszanti
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:04 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,983 Posts
World Engines offered a small RC Mr. Mulligan back in the late '70's - early '80's that was about the size you quote. Fuselage was mostly a lite-ply build; they also offered a J-3 Cub.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
629 Posts
Piperjoe -

Apparently that's what I have, a Wolrd Engines version, 52"ws, about 400 sq.in. and plywood formers and sides for the fuse. Even has the little Gulf decals up by the cowl. But this one has an engine mount sized and drilled for a very large engine (4" across outside of engine mounts). I thought maybe a 70 four stroke or a 46 sized 2 stroke would be the right fit. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Richard
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:42 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,983 Posts
Richard, I think you'd have a real handful with the two engines you are considering; if the plane survived it would most likely look like a Sabre jet when it landed LOL!! Since the Mr. Mulligan was a racing aircraft, perhaps that's what the original builder was considering. I don't recall what engines the plane called for but, having built the J-3 Cub of the same size "back then" I think I used something like a .35 at the most. It boils down to what you and the model can handle; bottom line: if it was my plane and seeing as it was built by someone else and considering its age I'd either replace the engine mount for something smaller or strip the covering off the airframe and go over the build and glue joints to look for potential problems that could develope with a big engine on the nose. Also, search for information on this and other sites that will alert you to any problems with this plane.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:19 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
629 Posts
Thanks Joe, I do have a .35 that will work.

Richard
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,983 Posts
Let us know how the Mr. Mulligan does and good luck to you! Maybe a pic or two?

Soft landings,

Joe