HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
8 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 5#10 vs Esky Lama V4

posted this in another forum section, but it seems like it belongs here better. TIA for any help!

I've played with a few 2 and 3 channel Coaxial helis, and my last one I accidentally left out and the dogs got a hold of it... Figured since I was gonna replace it, I'd spend a little bit more than I did before and get a decent hobby heli. My budget is right around $130.

The 2 helis that have REALLY grabbed my attention are the Walkera 5#10 with the CNC upgrades from Xheli.com ($130) and the Esky Lama V4 ($95).

Is there anything about either of these that I need to know to steer me one way or the other? As of right now, I REALLY like the Walkera by the looks and all the CNC parts, but I keep reading about quality issues with Walkera. Seems like everything I read should be fixed with the metal upgrades on this model, but I'm still wary of spending $130 on something that might break easily.

The Lama V4 seems like a really good heli, but to me it looks cheap. Must be all the plastic that makes me like the other better.

I'm open to suggestions too if theres something in my price range that would be a better option. I'd like to be able to fly outside in low winds too, but I'd mostly be flying in the living room or in a basketball gym.

And one more question. I've got a 3.7v battery out of an old PMP that is I think about 1200 mah. Its REALLY lightweight as it was in a compact PMP. Is there anyway I could wire this with the stock battery and have twice the flight time (relatively) or is adding weight a big nono?

I'm sure I'll have more questions to come. Thanks in advance for helping a noob.

jfowl
jfowl31 is offline Find More Posts by jfowl31
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
The coaxial forum will get you better answers, but if I were you, I would get the Esky KOB, which is a Lama V4, but with a tail boom, which is a little more durable. The Lama V4 has a lot of mods available and e-sky helis seem to be much more reliable out of the box. You can't use your 3.7 battery because it will not supply enough power. Also, most coaxials can't fly in a lot of wind, so there is really no advantage of one over the other, but you can by some upgrades to make them a little better.

You can get it shipped from Xheli for $94.

http://www.xheli.com/2kobrtfrecoh.html

If you like the metal you can get a whole metal head for the KOB/Lama V4 on ebay for like $10 shipped.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:50 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
You've got access to a basketball gym? Do you know how envied that makes you in heliworld?

$95 is too high for LV4 unless you mean delivered and even then it's still high. Try Xheli, they have a free shipping special right now.

Esky is not a paragon of reliability, but generally speaking Walkera is an anti-paragon. I've had my V4 almost 2 years and besides breaking the potato-chip blades the only thing that wore out was a set of motors.

CNC is little but bling in this class aircraft. Exception, metal swash serves a purpose.

There have been some interesting improvements in the field since then. May slightly exceed the $130 range, but Eflite MSR flies like/better than LV4 and costs only slightly more. If you're going to stay in helis, you can get MSR BNF and a DXx transmitter you'll need later anyway.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
8 Posts
Yeah I actually have keys to 2 different gyms at my old High School. One of them has about 60' high ceilings which should make for some fun flying.

I've never flown anything but coaxials... how hard is the step up to regular helis?

I do like the look of that KOB. I like the price tag on it too. That would leave a lot of room for spare parts. The $94 on the LV4 was from xheli (for the orange upgraded version) and I did get the email about free shipping right now. I'm kind of in crunch time to make a decision and go with it to get in on the free shipping TBH.

Does Xheli not carry Blade/Eflite stuff? I can't find any of their stuff on the website, but I may be looking in the wrong areas. I have found the MSR that is RTF for $135 which isn't too far out of my budget, but if I could get it free shipping, then it would be even better! My only draw back on this one is the single rotor because I've never flown one and I read that the coaxials are so much easier to fly and hover. Is that overstated or is it really that much harder to fly?

Thanks for the help thusfar!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:26 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowl31 View Post
Yeah I actually have keys to 2 different gyms at my old High School. One of them has about 60' high ceilings which should make for some fun flying.

I've never flown anything but coaxials... how hard is the step up to regular helis?

I do like the look of that KOB. I like the price tag on it too. That would leave a lot of room for spare parts. The $94 on the LV4 was from xheli (for the orange upgraded version) and I did get the email about free shipping right now. I'm kind of in crunch time to make a decision and go with it to get in on the free shipping TBH.

Does Xheli not carry Blade/Eflite stuff? I can't find any of their stuff on the website, but I may be looking in the wrong areas. I have found the MSR that is RTF for $135 which isn't too far out of my budget, but if I could get it free shipping, then it would be even better! My only draw back on this one is the single rotor because I've never flown one and I read that the coaxials are so much easier to fly and hover. Is that overstated or is it really that much harder to fly?

Thanks for the help thusfar!
with the self stabilizing heads the msr, solo pro or CB100 are not really that great a step up from the co-ax's and at $55 the solo pro is a good price. Yes I am also quite envious of having 2 gyms to fly in the limiting factor of most people learning to fly is lack of space.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Last edited by Hellraser; Oct 13, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:52 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
Stabilized singlerotors are not "that much" harder than coax. Specially when you've got a basketball court to play with. Lots of room to correct mistakes before anything bad happens. The solo pro is well regarded and costs like that class craft should cost. Specially considering you could get 2 of them for the cost of MSR with change left for blades.

Eflite is chronically overpriced because it has to support hobbyshop overhead and online resellers are not allowed to discount it. Good news is, it IS in hobbyshops; no shipping, no waiting IF you have a nearby hobbyshop. Also a US support phone that IS answered, though they're not as helpful as they were a year ago.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:16 PM
Joined Oct 2010
8 Posts
I think I'm probably going to stick with a bigger coaxial for now. Mainly because I let my little nieces and nephews fly it (with my help) and I'd want to make sure to have something ULTRA stable. Probably for Christmas I'll get a single rotor heli, and then eventually I'd like to get into 3d flying and stuff like that at some point down the line.

Right now that Esky KOB looks like a winner. I'm really glad I checked in here though because I was dead set on that Walker 5#10, but more than anything I want something reliable. If I break it, I can live with paying for parts, but I want it to be as reliable as possible for my budget.