HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Build Log
Detailed Blaster 3 Build

With all respects to George,
Barry suggested I do a detailed photo build of the new Blaster 3.
Barry dropped my new Blaster off at Visalia and I agreed to get it together
and try it out at the TNT next week. I like the looks and layout of the new Blaster. Improvements include a new fuselage, with smaller horizontal, with all servos housed in the fuselage. My bare airframe weighed 210 grams before fitting any electronics. I tried to use the hardware supplied and attempted to build it so that No ballast was required.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Since I wanted to build the model out with proper CG with just fitting the gear, I started the build from the tail end. I noticed that with the stab in the right place the stab mount was loose. I fixed this by locating the position on the boom with masking tape on either side and wrapped the boom with 6" of 12k carbon tow. When the epoxy cured I dressed the carbon down and checked the A-frame for a good fit. I then mounted the wing to keep everything square and mixed up a little epoxy with micro-balloons and secured the stab mount and fin in place. I cleaned up all the extra epoxy mixture with a paper towel soaked in denatured alcohol.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
After the tail assemblies cured, I started planning the install in the front end.
I marked the CG on the wing and secured the 450 ma Smart Lipo in the forward position. I then started playing with various servos to get the balance in the right place. The final descision was to with 4- JR 285 MG servos. I had lighter servos but was trying to get the CG set without lead for balance. I trimmed the lugs and glued the servos together with ZapaDapaGoo checking the position of the servo arms and making sure they would not rub the nose cone. The final servo configuration was from the nose elevator, rudder, right aileron, left aileron.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:13 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
As stated I wanted to use the hardware supplied and thought the aileron pushrods might be a little light for the job. I cut slots in the aft pod fairing that allowed for straight runs from the control horns to the servo arm. I put some teflon tube left over from an Ava build that I could secure to the pod and stiffen up the linkage. This worked very well, nd was finished up with some small balsa supports glued to the tail boom for additional support. The final linkage was slop free and very rigid. The rudder and elevator used sandard teflon tube carbon rod with wire ends for conections to the horn and servos. I like to wrap the connections with kevlar thread and Ca, then add a little JB weld to keep them from slipping during rough usage.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
The Blaster 3 is shipped with a new launch peg that is glued externally on the wing surface. I took a few minutes with some sandpaper and gave it some final shaping to clean it up a little. I was satisfied with the final peg and scuffed the wing surface and glued it in place. The Blaster is now ready for flight and tips the scales at 9.8 ounces and is balanced with just the equipment. I will fly the model tomorrow and look forward to see how it flies.
My Blaster 2's were all 11.3 ounces so this one should have a better sink rate.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,463 Posts
Nice Build Larry. Let us know if it feels stable in roll. For us, as we flew them lighter they became very twitchy in roll. Hopefully you'll like the B3.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:38 PM
Nothing Special
Middletown, CT
Joined Dec 2003
272 Posts
I can not wait to hear how this thing flies.
grouch is offline Find More Posts by grouch
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:42 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,197 Posts
looks really nice! great build, thanks for posted
awaiting flight reports as well....would be good if you can compare it to the blaster 2
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,523 Posts
Larry:

Sub-10-ounce Blaster. Now we're talkin'.

I suppose the battery is one of Mr. Kennedy's Smart-Lipos? Please excuse my extreme electrical ignorance, but how is it charged? Through the regulator?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Thanks Guys,
Yea finished it up today, but have to wait for the epoxy to cure before I can throw it. I will take a Blaster 2 out with me tomorrow morning and try to get some time on both of them, in equivalent air. I have flown several of Barry's smart Lipos. They have their own charger built in so you just hook them up to 8-18 volt source. I just hook it up to a 12 volt and it signals when it is done. They have some cool features 7 beats on intializing means it is fully charged. It beeps periodically with the beeps getting closer together as it gets close to critical low voltage. It has a self preservation device and will shut off if voltage gets to low. Real helpful if you hang the model in a tree or lose it in a field. At least you don't kill your Lipo pack. More tomorrow. LJ
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:36 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,789 Posts
I'm curious about how resistant this setup will be to flutter. The long-ish pushrods very close to the root would seem not to be quite as solid as George's ignore-the-instructions-and-put-the-servos-in-the-wing-where-they-belong approach.

That said, it is very interesting that with 4 servos on the nose, it balances w/out having to cut 2" off the tail Btw, where did you put the CG?

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,463 Posts
I don't remember the specifics but the CG is significantly different on the B3 compared to the B2. I think much of that has to do with the smaller elevator surface area. I noticed on my pink B2 that I am flying with the CG approx 2.5mm behind the rear wing mount screws. Strangely enough it is doing well in that position. The B3 has the CG much further forward.

Charlie
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
I went out and flew the Blaster 3 this morning. The CG is about 3 5/16" back from the LE. This Blaster really is a sweet heart, it launches harder and higher than any of my B2's. You can really feel the lighter weight, it turns a smaller radius without drop off, and is tolerant to aggressive tugging. I am not a top thrower but there was no hint of any slop or flutter with the ailerons, and I was leaning in to it. IMHO this is the Best of the Blasters and has great handling qualities, floats and still streaks across the sky. I am looking forward to putting it in the air with some other gliders for comparison. The B3 is shorter than a B2 and does fly shorter. It changes direction faster, and is generally more lively. I think the smaller elevator is sized right for my taste. I started with a stock B2 setup and ended up taking all the elevator expo out and left everything pretty much the same. Barry has a good one in the Blaster 3. I took a few flight shots while I was flying. LJ
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:35 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Looks good LJ. Clean your camera lens....
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,463 Posts
Thanks for the review Larry,

any chance you can compete at the BSOA in Eloy, November 6,7? We will have another B3 along with my B2 there to compare and have fun with.

Charlie

If not, the SWC will be having another "mini" DLG contest that you could be a part of...