HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2001, 10:53 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Why do birds hate model planes ?

And I don't mean just wild birds either.
I remember seeing a few posts of guys saying that their dog ate their plane, well guess what happened to me ?
My stupid pet cockatiel tries to bite my planes any chance he gets, so I clipped his wings so he's stop flying to my planes and putting holes in them with his feet.
Last night I went to the kitchen for 5 minutes to heat some pizza, this little bugger climbs down off his cage, runs across the carpet , then climbs up the wall to get to my Minimax plane...I walk into the room and find him in the cockpit !
Get up to him and find he has eaten the end off of my GWS speed controller !
Little jerk, now I'm grounded for the next few days until I get a replacement.
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2001, 11:15 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,162 Posts
Replacement bird or replacement plane?
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Jun 27, 2001, 12:52 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
when you get your new controller, STRAP him into the cockpit and go flying!

He wont be interested in planes anymore after that!

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Jun 27, 2001, 02:13 PM
Lord Flashheart is sissy!
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Apr 2001
43 Posts
My birds also used to eat all the balsa that they could lay their beak onto. I guess that they just like to grind on something. I had great succes feeding them this herb that smells like lemon when the leaves are mushed (I do not know its english name).

In other words. Your birds nead some activation. No need to have your birds seeing a schrink for this matter.
Immelmann is offline Find More Posts by Immelmann
Old Jun 27, 2001, 02:42 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I hate crows.. I shoot crows... dirty, carion eating, egg robbing vultures.. when I see them in the air and I'm flying, I go after them.. a few have checked out the skyscooter, but they don't attack it... nothing would make my day better than ramming the prop up a crows arse..I'd sacrifice the plane for that.. This is another reason I need a faster plane.Most birds fly pretty fast, straight and level...and in a dive, well.. darn fast. Don't think I'd sacrifice a SOKOL for a crow though.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 27, 2001, 03:47 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Hahahahaha

What a shame ...the poor birdie is in love !
Make a model specially for him to climb into/get happy with !
No servos, receiver or ESC !
Paint eyes on it and fit a beak !

That way he may leave the real models alone !

You may even like the 'bird' model and fit the radio anyway !

As for crows . . . . . Well Tic - You need Help ! ! !

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Jun 27, 2001, 03:58 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
295 Posts
I used to give my cockatiel the scraps of balsa and ply to chew on. They just like to chew on stuff and destry it. It keeps them busy, and they don't eat it, just break it up.

I once contemplated giving an old plane to him, but didn't think the CA would be too good for it.
brianchristie is offline Find More Posts by brianchristie
Old Jun 27, 2001, 04:28 PM
Burnsville, MN, USA
Joined Oct 2000
172 Posts
Just outta curiousity, why is the bird free to roam the house? As for a practical solution, you could put your planes behind glass and see if the bird flies into it

Regards,
- Razz
razzor7 is offline Find More Posts by razzor7
Old Jun 27, 2001, 06:24 PM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Ha, my bird thinks he's a person and doesn't want to be in a cage all day....he's pretty cool when he's not destroying something. I keep an eye on him but wow, he must have been eye-balling my plane,just waiting for me to leave the room so he could spring into action like alittle commando raider.He got me pretty good too, the esc is shot
Old Jun 27, 2001, 08:08 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
It is love, usual at first sight. In the animal kingdom, they gravitate toward flashy colored winged objects, like your planes. The only way they can communicate back is touch or contact. Sometime it may look brutal, most of my encounters are very friendly and courtship-like in mid-air. I love to tango with there group of birds that frequent my school yard. They also welcome me (I think ) whenever they see me around.

Treat them nice.
Charles
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old Jun 28, 2001, 01:10 AM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
Get a dog then the next time he trys to go across Carpet the dog will get him. But after that the dog will go for you airplane, then you will be out bird and airplane but you will have a nice dog???
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jun 28, 2001, 01:32 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MK:
Replacement bird or replacement plane?
A replacement action would be appropriate, but unfortunately Momma has given her baby birdie full diplomatic immunity... I'm gonna have to come up with a way to keep his beak shut... Polly wanna CA cracker ???

Old Jun 28, 2001, 01:59 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Actually, the bird is in LOVE with your plane! The bird thinks that the plane is it's boyfriend/girlfriend and that you are attempting to keep them apart. All the bird wants is a feeling of love from it's serragate "friend".
Later,
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jun 28, 2001, 04:23 AM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Immelmann:
I had great succes feeding them this herb that smells like lemon when the leaves are mushed (I do not know its english name).

Sounds like lemon grass.
A guy in the club I use to belong to had a .90 sized biplane destroyed by a Cooper's Hawk. He attacked it head on into the prop. Killed both birds.(biplane and hawk)
Shame, Cooper's are not common anymore. If you see one of these or any of the true hawks(goshawk, sharpshined, European sparrowhawk) don't get very close to them. They are very nervous high strung animals and are getting rarer.(some caught for falconry have to be released to keep them from killing themselves) Donít be fooled by their size either, a Coopers Hawk is not a big bird, ití smaller than a crow but it took out a .90 size biplane.
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jun 28, 2001, 05:19 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Apr 2001
235 Posts
...... I clipped his wings so he's stop flying............I walk into the room and find him in the cockpit !

What did you expect? He's HANGING to go flying!
procrastination inc is offline Find More Posts by procrastination inc