HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I got mine ( blue ) at the local airport .

It works fine .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
red corx

Same here...got mine at little local airport.
moleman2 is offline Find More Posts by moleman2
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
Zomgz airplanes r cool lol
Msioni is offline Find More Posts by Msioni
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:39 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Well folks I am back again for your advice. I got the Corrosion X and let my Rx and ESC soak in it for 4 hours. Then let it drip dry for 24 hours. Will this do the job of protecting them from water or do I need to let them soak longer?. We are going flying on Sunday. It will be my first time to float fly.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
They should be fine. If they get dunked, Unplug your ESC, pour the water out of the fuselage, and let them air out for a little while before you try them out. Most electrical damage is done by not pulling the throttle to idle before or right after the impact. Water puts a very heavy mechanical load on the ESC when the prop is in the water and causes high amps and component damage unrelated to the water's "wetness". You may want to take the CorrosionX with you to the float fly. Some of your friends may need a shot if their stuff gets soaked. It works after the fact on Receivers and keeps them from corroding in the future.

BTW, don't forget to spray a little on your connectors and plugs to keep the wires from corroding under the crimp connectors.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Not recommended , but I have motored an upsidedown plane back to my dock .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:44 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Once again I thank you for your good advice. I will take the Corrosion X with me tomorrow. I will be the only one there with an electric. I will also spray the connectors which I haven't done.

I have a friend who has a Twin Star who is planning to get floats for it. I have promised him some of the Corrosion X so he could waterproof his electronics. That will make 2 of us with electrics to float fly. I will enjoy having another electric to fly with.

Bob
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:05 AM
lac
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Try a fishing tackle or sporting goods store for Corrosion X or Reel X.
lac is offline Find More Posts by lac
Old Nov 01, 2010, 11:09 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
I got mine from a marine supply store.....
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:02 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
strawcuter, how was the floatfly. Hope everything worked well for you.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:49 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
crash-rc, it was a very good day. My Hobby Zone Super Cub did very well. The day was windy and I asked a pilot who is much better than me to take it off and land it. Once in the air I flew it and was very pleased with the way it handled with the floats.

There were 9 of us plus two spectators. Most were flying IC planes and 2 of us had electric. The Super Cub handled well on take off and landing. That was due to the skill of the pilot, Keith. It didn't turn well in the water when we tried to recover it. The lake as I remember is about 18 acres and the cub took about half of the width to make a half circle back toward us. It could use a rudder on a float to help it turn better.

Keith had two electrics an Extra 300 sold by Horizon Hobby with Super Cub floats and a Delta winged Electric Ducted Fan Jet.

I had my spray bottle of Corrosion X with me and offered it to him. He declined. The EXtra 300 flew very well and handled well on the water. The EDF jet didn't do well at all. The ESC got burned out when it got soaked with water as he tried to take off. He will be looking for some Corrosion X today.

A friend of mine who has a Twin Star is going to buy floats and will be using some of my Corrosion X.

My Cub only got the one flight because the wind got stronger as we moved into the afternoon and everyone quit flying. Next time if the wind is calm enough I will tqke off and land the cub.

It was a very enjoyable day. I learned a lot.

We will find out this coming Thursday if we will be able to continue using the lake. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Bob
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:52 PM
Joined Feb 2004
54 Posts
Is there any need to protect the motor?

I've got an Ultra 25e I've been using on floats, and it has no cowl.

A few times on takeoff I've heard the motor hesitate, like it shorted internally for a sec. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent that.

I've been using this stuff to protect RX's, just because we had a can around. Horrendous smelling stuff, it must work great

http://www.humiseal.com/productItem.asp?range=2

Best,

- Eli
isaac509 is offline Find More Posts by isaac509