HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
Discussion
Venom King of Shaves 35"

So I saw this thing in the store, and it looked like candy. I kind of wasn't going to buy one until next year, but the guys at Mid-Hudson Hobbies in Middleton NY gave me such excellent service on another item, I was inspired to purchase something more from them.

Haven't run a boat for over ten years. Last boat I had/have is a graupner tornado. I ran some modified brushed motors in them, and they were pretty fast. I had to do some convincing to the store owners that I could handle 4s packs. But I fly planes that go 120mph, and used to be a sponsored 1/12 4 cell racer back in the early 90's. So I should possess the skill to handle something like this, and I convinced him to sell me the packs. I also asked for a metal prop, but in all the talking we did, forget to actually get one.

I set up the speed control with 7.5 degrees of advance. Not really sure just how much advance will affect performance.

The first run, I ran a Kokam 3200 3s pack that I had laying around from my planes. First time I used the pack, and I've had it sitting for some time, so it might need to "wake up" a bit, IDK. It's also possible that being on the edge of what this pack can handle, the voltage suffered a bit, and it was a bit slow. Anyway, I got the trim tabs set so she rode level, and centered my steering. I could probably use some advice from people more knowledgeable on the set-up of these things. I just started with the angle of the prop set at 0 degrees, and trimmed the tab down on the starboard to make the boat run level. The port tab is even, and flush with the hull. I had to dial in some left rudder, I guess to compensate for torque/walk of the prop. I got at least 6 mins run time out of the 3200mah pack.

Venom king of shaves on 3s 3200mah (0 min 56 sec)

After that run, I wasn't so scared any more and and had a feel for the boat, I juiced it up and put the 4S pack in (2-2S Venom 5000mah's). Well that was a different story, that thing was flying! I flipped it 3 times during the run, and got lucky, she landed right side up and kept going. I wonder how fast it's going, looks to be about 45-50 to me. If I get a calm day before I take my full-size boat out for the season, I'll try to clock it along side my boat. My boat does about 50-53. Should make for some good video too. I didn't have to trim anything more, and really enjoyed it. I didn't time it, but by the videos I ran 8-10 mins at least. Just charged up the packs and used 4200mah.

Venom King of Shaves on 4s HD (5 min 47 sec)

Here is a flip:

fipped, Venom of Shaves on 6s A123 (0 min 23 sec)

Once I exhausted those batteries, I had some A123 cells lying around. I decided to try a 6S1P A123 pack. Which should be 21.6 volts, or about equivalent to 5S lipo. Not sure if I was too close to the edge of what the pack can handle. I believe they can handle 66 amps cont, 100amps burst? The boat sounded slower, but seemed faster. This may have been to the way I had installed the batteries, putting more weight aft. I used two 3 cell stick packs, and they don't fit in there too well. You can definitely see the boat is more tail heavy, as she wants to nose up and jump itself out of the water. However the prop seems like it is getting more bite. Maybe that's why it sounds slower, but seems just as fast, if not faster? Just using my knowledge from my 40+ years of real boating to try and guess what's happening.

Venom King of Shaves running on a 6S1P A123 pack (3 min 2 sec)

We also took some so-mo video of it with my Casio EXFH-20 camera. My son could have zoomed in a little more, but kind of a cool perspective non-the-less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z5I_ucW24s

and:

slow-mo Venom King of Shaves 2 (0 min 12 sec)

So all in all I enjoyed my first day out with this boat. I am very happy with the speed, but I can see myself going to 5S on a calm day. Also looking to upgrade to a metal prop. Running this thing on 3S in the huge lake waves is going to be a blast, and I will add more videos as I get the chance. I am sure there is more flipping in this things future, once I hit those waves.

Also if you notice in the videos, the boat sounds faster coming towards us, as opposed to going away, that must be from the Doppler effect.

Pros:
Great looking boat
Quality appears to be good
Easy to set up and use
Rides great in the water, and is fast
The price $349!
Did I mention it looks good?

Cons:
The screws that hold the trim tabs were stripped, so I had to re-install them, and getting in the hull to get to the allen screw that holds them was a pain.
The rudder had some slop in it, but I put some CA where the rudder joins it's hinge pin.
The steering servo looks to have some play in the output shaft, hopefully it will hold up.

Enjoy, Anthony
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:15 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
So I put 5 runs on it, and I decided to check the grease out on the flex shaft (not sure how many runs I should be checking this?) Found some water in there, and regreased everything.

The bracket that holds the output of the flex drive, where the propeller mounts has degree markings, and adjustment. So I am guessing that adjusting this will have the same affect as adjusting my power trim on my full size boat? Not sure because of this being a surface drive. Little help...

I also noticed that even though you can adjust up to 4 degrees in each direction, you can't go more than 2 degrees up because then the stock prop would hit the rudder bracket.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:23 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Very cool! Glad you got back into boats.............modern ones as well..........brushless and fast!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:33 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,313 Posts
Nice lake!

The prop adjustment should be set lower for rough water and as you go faster it will help keep the bow down. You shouldnt need to raise the prop from the stock setting or current setting you have. This is an adjustment you will jsut need to play with a bit to find the best balance. It will change with battery pack choice as the CG changes between packs of different weights and placement. I would suggest staying with one pack type and then tuning the boats ride otherwise you will not be really happy with the way it drives.
When you decide to change props and try different things one tool you should have is Watt Meter or a Data Logger. Either way this will give you the ability to see how many Amps your drawing so you can prevent any damage to the ESC/Battery/Motor.

Enjoy the last few good weather days!

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:06 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
Thanks Chris! I have the medusa research watt meter and dyno setup from my planes, with all the sensors. How do you check amp draw? With the boat in the water holding it back?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,313 Posts
Yep that will give you an idea but a data logger will be better for actual running values. You want to know o/a Amps and Temps on your batteries but the more info the better so you can tune things better.
Eagle Tree Systems has a nice unit the E-Logger V3 and it has a lot of expansion ports for all kinds of cool stuff. It works on all vehicles and supports GPS too. Check it out you can fly with it and even set up a video link with data overlay. I have one and I like it, great tool. I use the 150A version because so many things today can go over 100A that I opted for the 150A model.
This one tool will expand your knowledge and make things more exciting and interesting for you.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:27 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
Ok, good info there.

Also, playing with the angle of the prop doesn't really seem to help bring the nose up or down. It seems to have more of an affect on how the prop bites the water. Setting it lower makes it want to "walk" more. I had more luck using the trim tabs to level out the boat. In the two runs I did tonight, I went from out of control at nearly half throttle, to being very in control at 3/4 on the chop I was running. I think at one point the boat actually "flew" through the air, as straight as an arrow for 10 feet. It looked like an airplane with "lift" as it was soaring, landed, bounced, and kept going. Had to be almost 3 feet out of the water. This thing really makes me smile. My neighbors come down to watch me.

I purchased another prop from mid-hudson hobbies, one that was all worked up. An Octura x437/3. The difference was night and day. Almost no cavitation out of the hole, and incredible top speed. I also noticed that the starboard trim tab is not level or flush with the bottom of the boat. I am at the maximun setting, and I think I need more to level the boat out from the "cork screw" effect of the prop. Looks like I will have to remove the trim tab, glass the hole where the screws hold it, and make a new hole.

Also, is this thing really capable of 6s? have you ever tried it, because I think it might wind up on the moon if you did.
Last edited by antslake; Oct 13, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:35 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
One other thing, sometimes when I turn the radio on, it doesn't "boot" up. I have to turn it off, and try again. I haven't had any glitches or anything like that, once it is booted though, but makes me a bit nervous.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:34 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
Some frame grabs from video:
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:52 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
Ok, good info there.

Also, playing with the angle of the prop doesn't really seem to help bring the nose up or down. It seems to have more of an affect on how the prop bites the water. Setting it lower makes it want to "walk" more. I had more luck using the trim tabs to level out the boat.

Looks like I will have to remove the trim tab, glass the hole where the screws hold it, and make a new hole.

Also, is this thing really capable of 6s? have you ever tried it, because I think it might wind up on the moon if you did.
Thats correct the prop will bite more or less depending on position but also depending on the prop it can help influence the attitude of the boat when it leaves a wave and jumps.

You can use medium or thick CA to fill the hole and drill it out again. CA is very aggressive on this polyester fiberglass resin.

The ESC is rated for 6S and the motor is as well BUT! you need to change props and you must use a Data Logger to see what the amps, temps and watts are. You have to move up to this power level step by step. The down side is that initially out of the hole you will not have good bite with a smaller prop with less pitch. The up side is the top speed.
This is an advanced set up so be carefull and take it step by step.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:21 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
Well, if I did 6s, it would be for a top speed run only. I'll go step by step. Right now I haver too much speed for the conditions I run in. Can you recommend a prop?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,313 Posts
I can t really suggest what prop to use but it looks like your on the right track. You just need to try some props and see what works and what you like for your conditions. Thats why a lot of RC boaters have a ton of props. Looks like your having fun doing it so keep it up!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:14 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
I took this thing out in some rough seas, LOL. It was gusting over 30mph, which would pick the boat up and toss it. I was videoing with a venom helmet cam, which is rough video, but took some screen grabs from it, the shots are rough, but you get the idea, it looked very realistic:
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
We went out tonight playing around, took some video and pictures. Photography is another hobby of mine, too bad I can't drive and take pictures at the same time. The new Octura prop is working really well. I got a two blade prop, and I am going to try and polish/sharpen myself. Was a sheet metal mechanic my whole life, so I have some experience with metal. Did some searches and got some tips, I will post pictures and video when done.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:16 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,662 Posts
Here is some slow mo video on 3S

slow mo king of shaves p1 on 3S (0 min 39 sec)