HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:02 PM
My other plane is the TARDIS
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
Build Log
HD FunJet v2 (mini) build log with GoPro HERO HD

Just passing on what I did because I've found a lot of helpful tips here. This is my second FunJet build, as the first one died a horrible, horrible death during the maiden flight (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296176). Problem between sticks and ground (channels reversed) but I did learn a few things and got about three real flights before it was hopeless.

Second build, I'm using my GoPro HERO HD. I thought about how to best install it and in fact my first thought was to use the plastic casing and mount it in the nose. There would be better crash protection. However, that was just too, too much weight. Without the casing, installed naked (the camera, not me) my new build would top out at 950g, a good 100+g over my last build. Even though I crashed the heck out of the last plane (totally destroying my camera) I did discover that 800+ grams is in fact not too heavy and even with a mangled nose and bad aerodynamics, the jet flies well. It is definitely on the boundaries of my LOS flying abilities. It is fast.

So I have installed an ARC motor (http://www.lightflightrc.com/). I tried to fly with one 3000mAh battery but I was getting pretty bad interference even with a filter. So I fly with a 3000mAh *plus* a smaller 610mAh battery for the vTx. I did the standard cut away for the center, using rare earth magnets to hold it in place. Because these magnets are so strong, I actually had to add in some glass (expo) on the inside of this center piece. Now it's pretty firm and not too heavy.

I fly on 1.3Mhz using a homebrew antenna that I moved to one fin. The vTx is partially exposed to the air for cooling. In the fuse I have the primary radio Rx with the satellite on the opposite wing of the vTx. The GPS module in installed in the wing bottom (facing upwards) using the FunJet's channel that was for the antenna.

I wanted to have a fully view without an obstructions but after my v1 crash, I opted to have a little extra padding even though you can see part of the nose. I cut the nose into two pieces and then notched out a space for the GoPro tilted slightly downwards. After making sure that it fit I glued the pieces back together. It's snug, but to ensure that the nose stays in place and to make sure the camera does now move I use two pieces of velco from a T-rex 450 kit.

Today was probably the perfect day to test out the FunJet. I was able to do a few line of sight tests.

GoPro Hero HD on FunJet test flight LOS (1 min 41 sec)

Got up to 60mph without going full throttle. At that speed, (a) I find it hard to fly LOS!, and (b) I am worried that I am going to go beyond my Spektrum range. The only thing that was an issue was when I launched such a heavy plane, launching it up at least at 45 degrees is much, much easier. Landing was not a problem. Cut the throttle and nose it down in at -20 degrees or so and it was fine. I know based on my TSII flying that when I fly from the pilot view it will be much easier.

I must have landed a little hard as I broke off a small bit of the wing tip and a hing was loose so right before I was about to FPV it I realized I needed to take it back home to check out. Next weekend hopefully!

JB
jbpilot is offline Find More Posts by jbpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
Reserved for follow up comments... I have a couple of tweaks I want to do.

JB
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
How is this plane working out?
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
Works great except when I switched to the EzUHF a) I probably didn't fully bind it or didn't do it properly and b) the UHF Rx was too close to the vTx. So I am in "repair" mode while I address my mistakes!

But it flew nicely before "the incident". :-)

JB
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:10 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
I've got my FJ on order now. Waiting on the UHF system to become available again.

I'm struggling a bit conceptually with some antenna placement / selection. I'm waiting on the EZUHF 8 channel - it has dual antennas -plus I fly on 900 - I would love to use all inverted V - but I'm not sure that I have room.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:00 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,223 Posts
Nice. I am considering setting up my funjet as my 3rd fpr platform but won't be putting my Hero on it.

Nice video, kinda like Nascar, left turn, left turn, left turn...lol I know you were los in a small area

Whats your final ready to fly weight? You running 3s for main power?
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:33 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
JB, very interesting. I've been pondering on how to mount a Gopro to a Funjet for a while now and you've got a very nice solution there. Might just blag that
You might find that the drag of the cam causes the plane to wobble at higher speeds.
You obviously are handeling it ok, but i fly from a 2200mah and no seperate video battery.
saves a bit of weight, but shorter flight times.

Edit: Looking at your pics again, as you've cut the GoPro into the removable nose i should be able to modify a Funjet i've already got
now i know what i'm doing tonight
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Last edited by StealthWorkx; Oct 27, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:56 AM
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Nice. I am considering setting up my funjet as my 3rd fpr platform but won't be putting my Hero on it.

Nice video, kinda like Nascar, left turn, left turn, left turn...lol I know you were los in a small area

Whats your final ready to fly weight? You running 3s for main power?
Final weight IS heavy. 900g give or take. Flies well though at that weight. The reason is looks like NASCAR is that the thing is sooo fast for me flying LOS that's the only way I could keep it under control!

3s for main batter, 3000mAH. I have some interference when I also run the video equipment off the same battery (I want to solve this problem at some point) so I do have a second, small battery. So I could probably get under 800g if I tried but it's not bad really. And damn fast. The camera is a bit of a drag, but not too bad so far.

Weather permitting I'll try again this weekend. The EzUHF did re-bind and I'm pretty sure correctly this time. So I won't be afraid of flying out of range before I realize it!

JB
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,223 Posts
Thanks. I haven't tried one yet but this may take care of the interference using one battery.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=252&page=1

If you give it a try, please do some before and after video and give an update.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:18 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Let us know how the flight goes. As I recall - you used the 4chan EZUHF rx right?

I'm looking to use the 8chan as I will run it with the EZOSD and Tracker as well.... I'm also going to be using the 3000mah battery - but Sanders suggestion on filtering the main flight pack for video.

Still trying to figure out antenna types and placement.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:23 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Thanks. I haven't tried one yet but this may take care of the interference using one battery.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=252&page=1

If you give it a try, please do some before and after video and give an update.
Or just do this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Here's a little pictorial on LC filtering. I always use a piece of servo wire and strip off the signal wire so I'm left with BLACK-RED. For constructing the inductor (the L in LC filtering) I loop both wires through a ferrite ring as many times as it'll fit, but at least >5 times. I use both wires as that gives a little better attenuation of the ESC noise as the inductor now becomes a common mode inductor.

I then simply solder a 470...1000uF/25V electrolytic capacitor (the C in LC filtering) to the side that attaches to the audio/video transmitter and the camera. The capacitor is polarized, hence it has a + and - pole. The - pole is marked with a stripe and - symbols on one end, you can't miss it, that needs to go on the BLACK wire, the + pole is on the RED wire. This will clear up any ESC noise that normally causes lines in the video. The parts you'll need are:

- Length of servowire
- Ferrite ring
- 470...1000uF 25 volt electrolytic capacitor

Fig 1. Here's the parts you'll need, available from Radio Shack and similar stores.

Fig 2. Here's the servo wire being looped through the ferrite ring.

Fig 3. And that's the finished LC filter with the capacitor soldered on.

All that is required now is some shrinkwrap to keep the inductor tightly wound and to go over the exposed electrical contacts. That's it, simple yet effective and all that from a mere few $$$ worth of electronic parts.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:32 AM
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
That (above) I was going to try actually. I just need to get a ferrite ring. I've got plenty of caps.

JB
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:48 AM
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
Tree: 1
Plane: 0

GoPro can take helluva abuse.

Idiot pilot needs to balance laterally next time.

JB
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:07 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Damnit man.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:36 AM
Philly 'burbs.
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
But the HD video of the plane spiraling into the pretty fall colors was spectacular!

Only real damage beyond foam was that I lost the GPS module in the woods. D'oh.

JB