HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2003, 10:22 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Piccolo Alu hub and PMP head

I'm flying today and the heli gets all wobbly. I land and adjust a couple of thing and back in the air. Worse than before! The head is all loose and wobbly on the hub. When I opened up the head, it looks like the bearing screws were moving up and down and elongated the holes in the alu hub. Not only that, but the bearings were shot.

Luckily I have replacement parts on hand. I put in one of Warren's beefier alu hubs. Should be fine now. The previous one was a lighter anodized hub. Not one of Warren's gems.

I thought it was pretty cool and just had to share!
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2003, 03:56 AM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
I didn't know Warren made more than one hub. Do you have any pictures? How do I know which one I've got?

Did you have locktite on the screws?

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:57 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. The original alu hub was not one of Warren's.

The screws were assembled with Loctite.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
Re: Piccolo Alu hub and PMP head

Warren clearly states on his site that the head will ONLY work with the stock plastic hub and not any aluminium hub, I understood the hubs on the PMP site were not produced by Warren but hand turned by Pierre?

Quote from PMP site: The head is designed around the stock hub and this is the only one that fill fit

Quote:
Originally posted by docphi
I'm flying today and the heli gets all wobbly. I land and adjust a couple of thing and back in the air. Worse than before! The head is all loose and wobbly on the hub. When I opened up the head, it looks like the bearing screws were moving up and down and elongated the holes in the alu hub. Not only that, but the bearings were shot.

Luckily I have replacement parts on hand. I put in one of Warren's beefier alu hubs. Should be fine now. The previous one was a lighter anodized hub. Not one of Warren's gems.

I thought it was pretty cool and just had to share!
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Jul 10, 2003, 09:57 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Actually the alu hubs fit fine if you Dremel down the screws. I could definitely see the stock plastic hub tear apart at higher head speeds.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 06:27 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
I spoke to Warren about this and he says the trouble is getting the screws to fit. You can either dremmel the stock ones flat or pick up a set of ball link screws from a Voyager E. I've been flying this combo for over a month now.

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:35 PM
Joined Jul 2001
15 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "hand turned". I use a second operation lathe and a cnc mill to make my hubs.

Regards,
Pierre
pierre is offline Find More Posts by pierre