Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Discussion
mCX2 Repair and Upgrade

I've had the mCX2 for about 2 mos. Love it. This is my first RC anything and I've learned by crashing a lot into my concrete floor. I've replaced blades once. The innershaft has broken the plastic tip 3x, and Once I've snapped the stabilizer arm.

In my multiple inner shaft replacements I snapped one of the arms that holds the body. They are fragile! Also, I tore one of the body loopholes. so not sure how to repair the body other than a tiny piece of tape.

I've repaired everything and now that it's flying fine, I'm going to mess with it.

I've purchase these upgrade parts.
1. Tail boom
2. Alum inner shaft
3. Alum main frame

Does anyone have any tips about the new parts? The frame appears to be the big job. I have to mostly disassemble the heli to put this in.

1. I see that the motors are held in the stock frame with a small drop of some black plastic wax. What is this material and will I need to secure my motors with this?

2. The tailboom has a sliding counterweight that is held in place with small O-rings. They don't really stay in place and I get tail vibration. I'm not sure if this is the cause.

Any Suggestions are appreciated.
Helibrew is offline Find More Posts by Helibrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
I broke a Arm on my mainframe just like you and replaced it with a stock.
I also had a motor that was over-heating and that caused my new frame to warp to the point the motor no longer engaged the gear to run the rotor.
Replaced the motor and a new frame and everything is working great now.
I considered getting the third party alum replacement parts but was worried about the added weight.
Replacing the Frame is not too hard. You can use allitle two part epoxy. The black glue is a type of epoxy that the manufacture used to secure the motors.
to hold the motor in the correct place in the frame.
My motors would slip in the frame untill they interfered with the other gear untill I used some epoxy to secure them.
befor you disconnect the motors write down the connector color code so you know how to hook them up.
Use some clear tape to repair the canopy tear.
I have the CF tail boom and have to push the weight almost all the way forward to stop the vibration or atleast most of it.
When I use the larger 150 mah battery the vibration is even worse.

here is a video that will show you how to do some basic repairs as well as remove the ECS.
HorizonRC com How-To: Repair Your E flite Blade mCX (9 min 51 sec)
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; Oct 10, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Great Information. I'm gonna work on it this afternoon after I find some epoxy for the motor mounts!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:32 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Helibrew, to fix your fuse you can also use a combo of tissue and CA. I believe I heard a member call it a "modelers cast." With a toothpick, dab some CA on the inside of the crack. Cut a small piece of tissue (just enough to cover the crack) place it on the wet CA making sure the tissue is completely absorbed with CA. Let dry. Trim. I've used this app to strengthen my Xtreme canopies right at the airframe holes (the weakest point). Many uses.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
aluminum frame fitting problems

So almost had it all back together. I fitted the inner shaft on the upper gear, nice fit, but now the gear contacts both motors.

It's as if the lower motor doesn't seat deeply enough to allow the upper gear to contact only the upper motor. Or the upper gear isn't high enough.

I've fiddled with it for an hour and a half. No matter how I try to seat everything properly, there is no way for me to allow the upper gear not to touch both motors at the same time.

Ugh.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
I'm lookin at microheli.com (place where I bought the piece) and it has a review from someone who said the frame just doesn't line up right.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibrew View Post
So almost had it all back together. I fitted the inner shaft on the upper gear, nice fit, but now the gear contacts both motors.

It's as if the lower motor doesn't seat deeply enough to allow the upper gear to contact only the upper motor. Or the upper gear isn't high enough.

I've fiddled with it for an hour and a half. No matter how I try to seat everything properly, there is no way for me to allow the upper gear not to touch both motors at the same time.

Ugh.
Dang that stinks,
The only other possibility I can think of is you have the motors swapped.
Make sure you have the motors in their correct position. the motors have different length shafts and will only work if they are in the right locations.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
We'll see how well customer support at microheli.com works now I suppose. In the mean time, I think I'll go buy another plastic frame.

I did ensure the motors were placed correctly. They are offset and appear to be correct, but there is just not enough spacing.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:28 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
Quote:
We'll see how well customer support at microheli.com works now I suppose. In the mean time, I think I'll go buy another plastic frame.
I did ensure the motors were placed correctly. They are offset and appear to be correct, but there is just not enough spacing.
I wonder if maybe they sent you the wrong frame for the MCX2
Hope they make things right for you.

The plastic frame is inexpensive and actually holds up well for the most part.
I keep a spare in my parts bin now just in case.
I hardly ever crash my MCX2 anymore now that I understand the wobble of death occures on quick turns. I slow going into a tight turn and that avoids the WOD effect.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Yeah, I have improved a lot too. I can land on the bar stool now and avoid the wobble of death.
I do have trouble when the battery life ends in midflight, sometimes it just goes into a spin or drops fast.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
The Ebay Supplier agreed to take the frame part back for a full refund. I have since re-assembled on a new plastic frame. It flew great for a few days, but now has developed a wobble.

The wobble is annoying and I can't determine why its happening. Everything appears secure. I am using the CF tail boom and I secured the weight with a little epoxy.

I'm wondering if there is any known obvious wobble causing issues.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
SOLVED.

I seated the CF boom deeper. I used needle nose pliers and seated the boom deeper. I epoxy'd the weight a 1/2 inch away from the heli body.

I used the microheli aluminum inner shaft. bought on ebay for 17.00.

I was shocked by the smooth silent flight I now have.

I also had the microheli aluminum frame. It didn't fit. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. They took it back.

I now have an awsome smooth flying machine with the CF boom.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:55 AM
hiflyer0208
wales, cardiff
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
wod not all bad.

if the wobble of death is what i think it is, it can be used to your advantage. im guessing you mean the cg throw you get when you go full forward flight(elevator) with some throttle then a sharp 90 degree yaw, the heli is thrown into a roll,... but if you aileron into this 'wobble' you can get a really fast strafing run. try not to do this in a small room, i broke all four canopy mounts perfecting this lil trick.

to helibrew, i am going to order that aluminium inner shaft to see if it will irradicate my tail vibration. i had already used my pliers to make sure it was in properly but ive still gt vibration. il keep u posted
hiflyer0208 is offline Find More Posts by hiflyer0208
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
SOLVED.

I seated the CF boom deeper. I used needle nose pliers and seated the boom deeper. I epoxy'd the weight a 1/2 inch away from the heli body.

I used the microheli aluminum inner shaft. bought on ebay for 17.00.

I was shocked by the smooth silent flight I now have.

I also had the microheli aluminum frame. It didn't fit. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. They took it back.

I now have an awsome smooth flying machine with the CF boom.
Yes i noticed this with mine i pushed the CF boom right in and moved the counter weight closer to the body and the tail was completely stable. But i get tired of moving the weight back to this position after a crash but cant bring myself to glue it.
padge993 is offline Find More Posts by padge993
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Dec 2010
157 Posts
Blade FHX Upgrade

I have the FHX or battle blade which is based on the mcx2 I believe. I have moved the links to the advanced set but the forward flight is still pretty slow. At best maybe a fast hover. Everything else works great but is the slow speed something to live with or are there fixes. I have seen this referred in some of the posts but no real fix that I can see.
ronhawker is offline Find More Posts by ronhawker