HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by BMtech, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:30 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,455 Posts
Mini-Review
The run home

After 2 1/2 hrs it was becoming apparent that the fuel use was very low even with the trailer, we were travelling at the speed limit for this road 100kph & the engine was performing well & I was starting to get used to the shifter.

We stopped for late lunch & coffee at the golden arches in Muswellbrook, back on the road next stop Manilla!, we were eating up the kms at about 90km average & it was time to turn the lights on ,its fitted with Zenon low beams with washers & halogen high beams which give a board range & spread not wanting for more light even on the country roads, the interior lighting is very good with the blue dash lighting not giving any glare at all & the radio reception is adequate, the in dash 6 stack CD was now blasting out some tunes from the 10 speakers around the car, it was the 70ís/80ís much to the disgust of the 16 year olds in the back!!!, It's also fitted with an AUX in for you IPod for the young set, with the ambient temp dropping & the night air there is a defiant power increase, now we where travelling along above the speed limit & overtaking was very easy, the handling was very good with the trailer on the back even at speed. I had to keep looking to remind myself I was towing!!!

We had arrived at the pub in Manilla where we were staying for the next 4 days for the Slope fest after 5 Ĺ hrs on the road & about 500kms, I stepped from the car with a grin on my face & not even a stiff back or a numb bum & even Anna was very happy how the car felt as a passenger, the fuel gauge was just on the ľ tank mark so the consumption was about 9lt/100kms for the 1st tank, after our old Outback that gets 400kms to a tank this was great, as we unloaded all the gear that was staying in the rooms the girls went to make sure we could get a feed in the pub & book in .

The next morning after breakfast we headed out to Mt Bora, as itís a short 10 min drive with 17kms of dirt road to the property, itís a fast blast on the dirt that was dampened down with the recant rains & the Forrester handled this with ease, on arriving at the site we removed the trailer & the girls we set free with it as we would use Glennís Commodore wagon to take the trailer with planes up & down the Mountain.

Anna used the car for the next 3 days over a variety of terrain & roads, she was very happy with the cars power & overall comfort & didnít have an issue with the shifter, maybe Iím just getting lazy in my old age , she filled the tank on the 2nd day before the low fuel light came on & I worked the actual consumption out at 8.4lt/100km for the 1st tank, as she had covered around 200ks before we travelled home I was in 2 minds if we could get home with out stopping for fuel but there were plenty of opportunities to get fuel so it was not really an issue, the run home was in the middled of the day as we left Manilla around 10.30am, as we had to pick our daughter up at the station at 4.30 we couldnít muck around, the run to the Putty Rd was good with out to much traffic.To get to the station on time we had to cover about 200kms so it would be close, the fist 40ks on this road is climbing up the range & if you get stuck behind a truck it can take forever as there are no overtaking opportunities at all: as it turned out we didnít see another car travelling in the same direction all the way home !!.

What can I say, the Subaru was powering along now as we only had 3 in the car & the trailer was lighter as we had sold some kits & planes at the fest, we would make it home with out refuelling easily.

So over all we are very happy with the Forrester & now that I have used the car without the trailer its even better, itís got 1800kms on the clock now & on its 3rd tank, the consumption is 5.8lt/kms with out & 8.2lt/km with the trailer so this is great as we do tow quite a lot with the dogs but that's another story!!!!

I give it 4-1/2 stars & Anna gives it 5 !!!

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Last edited by BMtech; Oct 10, 2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: added stars
to remove ads between posts
Closed Thread