HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2010, 11:22 PM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
Discussion
Looking for first 3D foamie (Update: Went with the McFoamy!)

Well, I've decided to get my first 3D foamie. I don't want a profile foamie. I prefer something like a PZ 300 (non-profile). And yes, I now the PZ 300 isn't a 3D plane. I would like something that uses 3S 2200mAh batts since I have a few of those. I do like the 3DHS Edge 540 41", but this is my first 3D plane so I want something I don't have to worry about smashing up completely. I'd definately go with the 3DHS as a second 3D plane. What's out there?
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Last edited by ElIntocable; Oct 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:11 AM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
The more I look at the DW foamies, the more I like them. Especially the 48" Extra 330!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:38 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
For a full fuse/airfoiled wing option I'd consider the 42"-48" Skywing EPP planes. I have the smaller Tough kit and it flys like balsa, yet can take some abuse. There are threads on here covering the bigger Monster, Yak and Sbach models.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
waco,texas
Joined May 2008
665 Posts
Have you seen the wmparkflyers.com Mcfoamy? Probably smaller than you're looking for but they can be flown outside as well as inside. And the batteries for this plane are nearly a dime a dozen. Give them a look.....

the beave,
the beave is offline Find More Posts by the beave
Last edited by the beave; Oct 11, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:12 PM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beave View Post
Have you seen the wmparkflyers.com Mcfoamy? Probably smaller than you're looking for but they can be flown outside as well as inside. And the batteries for this plane are nearly a dime a dozen. Give them a look.....

the beave,
I just did! That really has my eye. I'm just on the fence now whether I should get a small one or large one. I'm thinking of a small one for my first since winter is fast approaching. I'll be able to fly indoors. Thanks beave!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:27 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,125 Posts
ElIntocable,

I will be doing a build tutorial in the McFoamy thread shortly on setting up a McFoamy for indoor flying if you'd like to follow along. Greg does an outstanding job with the kits as they are all laser cut and hand painted in custom colors. Drop Greg a line at info@wmparkflyers.com and he'll set you up.

dawg
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:00 PM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
ElIntocable,

I will be doing a build tutorial in the McFoamy thread shortly on setting up a McFoamy for indoor flying if you'd like to follow along. Greg does an outstanding job with the kits as they are all laser cut and hand painted in custom colors. Drop Greg a line at info@wmparkflyers.com and he'll set you up.

dawg
Thanks dawg! I'll send him an email when I get to work in a few hours. I'm going to have him hook me up! I need to see exactly what all I need to get ready for the small lipos. I'm currently using a Duratrax Ice.
Last edited by ElIntocable; Oct 11, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:09 PM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
What's the wing span on the McFoamy? I can't seem to find it.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:20 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elintocable View Post
what's the wing span on the mcfoamy? I can't seem to find it.
34"
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:44 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
The more I look at the DW foamies, the more I like them. Especially the 48" Extra 330!
It's such an awesome flying plane! I LOVE mine. If you can get past it being flat, you will learn to love the way it handles in the air. I like to get mine right down on the deck in a roller, and try to scrape the wingtips (as is evident by the little nicks ).

I seriously don't see what the deal is with people not liking the way flat foam looks. One should be more concerned with how the plane FLIES over how it looks!

A couple pilots hate the way their F3P foamies look, no matter what paint they put on them, but because of the way they fly, they aren't giving them up anytime soon
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:14 PM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
It's such an awesome flying plane! I LOVE mine. If you can get past it being flat, you will learn to love the way it handles in the air. I like to get mine right down on the deck in a roller, and try to scrape the wingtips (as is evident by the little nicks ).

I seriously don't see what the deal is with people not liking the way flat foam looks. One should be more concerned with how the plane FLIES over how it looks!

A couple pilots hate the way their F3P foamies look, no matter what paint they put on them, but because of the way they fly, they aren't giving them up anytime soon
Yeah, the flat foam has grown on me. Nice looking plane Xpress!

So for the McFoam, what do you guys recommend? The 2S or 3S setup? I'm leaning towards the 3S since I have limited indoor places to fly and the extra power will be nice with outside breezes.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:05 AM
Camperdown, Sydney
Joined May 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post

I cant agree with Xpress more, DWfoamies are the best 3D foamies I've flown.
In fact it taught me how to 3D.
With a bit of decoration I dont think profile planes looks any worse then built up ones at all.
The Skua and the Edge is my current favourate
I have a big skua coming soon !
icy_wind500 is offline Find More Posts by icy_wind500
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:55 AM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_wind500 View Post
I cant agree with Xpress more, DWfoamies are the best 3D foamies I've flown.
In fact it taught me how to 3D.
With a bit of decoration I dont think profile planes looks any worse then built up ones at all.
The Skua and the Edge is my current favourate
I have a big skua coming soon !
That is some real nice decoration icy!

I just placed my order on a blue black flame McFoamy. The only thing is the ESC and HXT900s were out of stock.

ETA: Got them ordered.
Last edited by ElIntocable; Oct 12, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,125 Posts
Quote:
So for the McFoam, what do you guys recommend? The 2S or 3S setup? I'm leaning towards the 3S since I have limited indoor places to fly and the extra power will be nice with outside breezes.
If you are primarily going to fly outdoors either is fine. I fly mine on 2s with the 1500kv motor and I really like how it handles. Some prefer more punch out power so I'd base power set up on your preferred flying style. again either set up will work great.

dawg
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:08 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,125 Posts
Quote:
That is some real nice decoration icy!

I just placed my order on a blue black flame McFoamy. The only thing is the ESC and HXT900s were out of stock.

ETA: Got them ordered.
The blue/black flame is going to look sweet. Greg does a great job painting these.

Hopefully Greg will get things back in stock very quickly.