Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Lipos in stock at HobbyKing USA Warehouse
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?currentPage=1
Unfortunately I keep getting an error message that my USPS zip code is not valid! I have tried to call and get no answer and the E_Mail also has an error code!
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
So the option looks like pay through the nose or just take a risk.
Well, like hoppy said: Go with what makes you happy. Or maybe happier.

If one choice was clearly better for everyone, then the other choice would disappear or change.

In my case, I returned one battery to HK in Hong Kong and it took about 3 weeks. I was surprised at how little time it took. Obviously times vary, but if it's a 300% cost difference, you may prefer a variable time for a possibly needed replacement. For me it's just a hobby and I don't get too excited about a possible return time for some batteries for some vehicle. However, if you do: choose otherwise.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi,

Like HC or hate them, but one thing is for sure. HC has forced prices down for the other guys.
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
And yet many here wonder why I refuse to purchase LiPolys from them for testing.

I
Charles
People can understand why you say that, Charles, but the problem is that it makes your testing look somewhat unbalanced as you are ignoring the very packs which are probably the most popular.
We must not confuse how good the products are with how bad the warranty service is. I have had quite a lot of Turnigy Lipos from HC and tested most of them. Generally they have been quite as good as the 'premium' brands and in many cases a lot better in power delivery performance. I have not done life tests and still maintain that such tests are only meaningful under properly controlled conditions.
Naturally I am fairly sore about the loss I suffered with the LiFeP04 packs as it is a significant amount, but that does not affect the results I have seen in testing Turnigy lipos and my opinion of those items. If I let it affect my judgement of them, then my credibility in any further testing would be damaged.
Any testing must be with an open mind if it is to credible and of real value.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,731 Posts
Quote:
People can understand why you say that, Charles, but the problem is that it makes your testing look somewhat unbalanced as you are ignoring the very packs which are probably the most popular.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302258

Not that impressive to me and not willing to purchase several to perhaps get one with better matched cells.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:29 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Drat, all the batteries have the Turnigy warning label on them. Was hoping for Flightmax or something. (had all recent Turnigy of various sizes puff much more than I like with an excessive % of low-cycle dieing cells)

Hobbypartz Blue Lipo on the other hand...2 thumbs up
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:12 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi,

Like HC or hate them, but one thing is for sure. HC has forced prices down for the other guys.
Yes indeed!

For the ones that dislike the risk of catching a bad pack at HobbyCity, there are plenty other options.
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Last edited by TreeDiver; Oct 13, 2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:01 AM
United States, KY, Owenton
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
LiPos costs about $2 to make..........I am not sure if I like the HK thing or not but the days of TP, Hyperion and others of overcharging are OVER
Battlepack is offline Find More Posts by Battlepack
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:21 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,731 Posts
2300 mAh LiFePO4 cell cost about $1.17 to make ,reject cells on E flay from $8 ti $10 ea. new prime cells $12 to $19 US dollars. Nice to see we are not getting ripped off on these.

Most everything sold in the USA has a built in 300% markup and yet the cost of doing business here leaves most small operations with less than 10% profit margin.

Charles
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:31 AM
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
Well........

The MAP is 25% with the distributor making 25%+. The problem is that dealer cannot sell them at these rates. And, everytime you stock something, they come out with a new version and your stuck with the stock of the old. And, the entire time you have to worry about burning your shop down. I just said, what the heck, I am not selling these things. I have several packs here that I have started using, so far the HK packs are all good and balanced.

Quote:
2300 mAh LiFePO4 cell cost about $1.17 to make ,reject cells on E flay from $8 ti $10 ea. new prime cells $12 to $19 US dollars. Nice to see we are not getting ripped off on these.

Most everything sold in the USA has a built in 300% markup and yet the cost of doing business here leaves most small operations with less than 10% profit margin.

Charles
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:35 AM
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
China/Hyperion/Distributor/Dealer (or under the table from the Dist)
China/Thunder Power/Distributor/Dealer

HK/customer

Easy to figure this one out

They can cry all they want about HK, easy to see what's going on here
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
As for A123, I have had them as low as $11 and never sold hardly any.......E-bay rules on A123. R/C is not worth the effort on batteries.

A123 runs on Government money......end of story. You have to buy 10,000 cells to get them for $8. All the while they sell the suspect cells on E-bay, which is about 50% of the ones made.
Last edited by Battlepack; Oct 13, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,731 Posts
Quote:
easy to see what's going on here
Sure is and I will be glad when they put the rest of the on-line vendors and small store front mom and pop dealers out of business all-together . Then perhaps they can put Great Planes and Horizion OOB also and we will then have truse one stop shoppingfor all of our RC Hobbies gear.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:55 AM
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
I understand what your saying

Well, it's going that way......Tower is having some good sales right now, I got 20% off with free shipping last week.

Quote:
Sure is and I will be glad when they put the rest of the on-line vendors and small store front mom and pop dealers out of business all-together . Then perhaps they can put Great Planes and Horizion OOB also and we will then have truse one stop shoppingfor all of our RC Hobbies gear.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:06 AM
Joined Jul 2010
231 Posts
Here is what I got today....

Yep, A123 packs – 4p2s arrangements.
So far, I’ve done one Dewalt 36v deconstruction to get 10 cells, but the price of those is usually $10/cell now. I’m on my third order from China ebay sellers and am getting cells from $7.83 to $8.00 each. These have all been ’09 mfg dated batteries with 2 to 3 weeks delivery. Can you get anywhere close to this with better delivery?