HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:49 AM
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
On the other hand in the real world they are selling plenty of LiPolys with low QC and next to zero after sells support so perhaps they have the most profitable business model and their customers are just being unreasonable .
most people that purchase at HobbyCity do know this and take the risk

at this price tag, you can not have top customer support and low prices at the same time

IMO it is "dig it" or "leave it"

appart from that...HobbyCity is entertainment!
Here at RCgroups and also their reviews at their homepage is "top entertainment"
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:49 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
My personal Hobbyking policy is:

1. I NEVER order more than $100.00 for any one order. So if it's lost in the mail, I'm willing to eat the $100.00 and won't headache about the loss.

2. I don't purchase any one item valued at more than $25.00. So if I receive a bad item, again I'm willing to eat the $25.00 loss.

3. I WILL NOT buy a battery charger, airplane or any large electronic item from them because returning a faulty item would cost too much.

This policy has served me well for over two years now without a single issue. But this policy works for me because I fly ONLY park flyers and smaller planes and use smaller equipment lipo smaller 4s & 3s lipos, motors & ESC's as well as chargers.

But lately, I've been buying most of my lipos from Value Hobby as well as chargers and also Hobbypartz, who is offering free shipping these days. You got to love that.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
The ONLY thing I've ever had come in bad from HK out of 24 orders was one 20C Rhino 4S pack with a dead cell. It was about $13 to send it back, and a 40C version came back in the mail a couple o'three weeks later(and this is back when 40C was quite expensive). AND I had changed the connector. I just sent them a nice email describing the problem, they sent me a confirmation claim number, I printed everything, stuffed it in a little box, and went to the PO and just sent it the cheapest way possible and forgot about it. Lo and behold, in came my new battery. And that battery over a year later still runs right with the newest ones I've purchased.

Out of 35 or so parkflyer batteries 1800-5000 mah class(not to mention the 50+ 1s batteries that have all been fine) its the only bad one I had, minus a couple that I killed myself when I was a lipo noob. I had purchased half a dozen retail parkzone batteries in the beginning, they're ALL dead.

ETA: Oh, and one bad MG 14 servo, but it's a parts spare if I need it. I always order at least one extra servo if they are a group of cheapies.
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Last edited by kevinb120; Nov 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
648 Posts
i tried value hobby and so far the battery works well.quick deivery and comes with dean connectors ..
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propnut07 View Post
i tried value hobby and so far the battery works well.quick deivery and comes with dean connectors ..
I prefer the HK battery connectors over Dean and the deans clones.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:00 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post
I prefer the HK battery connectors over Dean and the deans clones.
Well good for you and thanks for sharing that rather importanta informatrion.
Exactly how many different type / size HK battery connectors are trhere now anyway?

Now a more serious comment. Why is it that many post sound like they really belong in an internet chat room or a PM instread of here?

By the way I use Deans and only Deans , the real ones you know the expensive ones which so many never learned to solder correctly and thus have all kind of issues with.

Lately I keep seeing all kind off fixtures to hold others connectors to me them easier to solder.

I still think most need to spend some addational time learning to solder.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
918 Posts
re: Deans

[QUOTE=everydayflyer;16565515]

By the way I use Deans and only Deans , the real ones you know the expensive ones which so many never learned to solder correctly and thus have all kind of issues with.

end of edited quote!

I mostly use Deans ultra however, the newer HXT conns are nice (that is they plug together and come apart easily) as to their "in use resistance rating".....I have not seen any "numbers" yet! A lot of people seem to get caught up in "looks good" vs "works good". I have seen a lot of solder joints that hold (can not pull them apart) however, they have a lot of electrical resistance (aka, bad solder joint) Regardless of connector, soldering technique is important!

Some people also make the argument that "bullets" allow for a better solder connection then Deans (one side vs the circumference) however if one looks at a Castle 85HV for instance, you will notice that all five leads are soldered on one side, just like Deans Ultras are. If one side is good enough for Castle, it is good enough for me!

While it is not instant gratification, you can still easily check a solder joint by connecting everything up and running your motor up to full power for 10-15 seconds then disconnect the power and touch all of the connectors to feel for any hot spots. Not rocket science but it will give you a good info about the quality of the soldering.

I have been using Deans up to 100 amps and the only issues I have had so far had to do with bad soldering (mine, that is!). So far, all my soldering problems have been discovered on the ground during static testing.

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Now a more serious comment. Why is it that many post sound like they really belong in an internet chat room or a PM instread of here?
The mysteries of RCGroups abound. Just add that to the growing list:
  • Few people know how to "quote" leading to messy posts and in some cases you have no idea who they are replying too.
  • Few people understand the difference between a thread and subforum, leading to duplicated threads, or worse, endless single threads that go on for years and thousands of posts.
  • Far too many off topic comments lowering the overall purity of the knowledge within a single thread. With this reply, I am guity of such an offense. But when in Rome......

If there is no enforcement, there is no change. In Washington State, chatting your cell phone while driving is primary offense. Yet, many still do it.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:43 AM
Collierville, TN
Joined Aug 2003
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
. . .<snip>. . or worse, endless single threads that go on for years and thousands of posts. . .<snip>. . .
see PL8 thread in the FMA forum . . . (hehehehe) . . .
klhoard is offline Find More Posts by klhoard
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhoard View Post
see PL8 thread in the FMA forum . . . (hehehehe) . . .
A btter example

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839657

and if you really want a great example or 12 go to the 3D Aiplane Forum area and have a look at the 3D Hobby shop Threads.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:56 AM
Collierville, TN
Joined Aug 2003
369 Posts
Quote:
. . .<snip>. . . you know the expensive ones which so many never learned to solder correctly and thus have all kind of issues with.

Lately I keep seeing all kind off fixtures to hold others connectors to me them easier to solder. . . .<snip>. . .
I built my own jig to hold Deans connectors for soldering, and even though I have a good soldering iron (Hakko), and consider myself fairly proficient, I still find it more difficult than necessary to get a good connection on a Deans, especially getting that wire inside the (+) tab. What I mean is: why should I even NEED a jig to get a good connection?
A couple months ago I bought a setup for Anderson Power Poles. . . man, what an addicting experience. . . just crimp, snap and go. Now everything I have R/C related has APP's ('cept batteries) . . . I know I can stop, but just not today!!
Anyway. . . my point is that if Deans (or someone) would make some sort of crimp connector that would then slide snugly onto the little tabs for soldering, then guys wouldn't need to build or buy specialty jigs.
klhoard is offline Find More Posts by klhoard
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Well good for you and thanks for sharing that rather importanta informatrion.
Exactly how many different type / size HK battery connectors are trhere now anyway?

Lately I keep seeing all kind off fixtures to hold others connectors to me them easier to solder.

Charles
Well for me the XT 60s are the easiest to solder of all, they easily pull/push to connect/disconnect yet make excellent nearly lossless connections and they are quite robust don't need cover caps.
They handle high volt's and amps with ease.
Come packaged in either large male bundles or female bundles or both as fits your needs and at very affordable prices.

Next best thing to Anderson Powerpoles.... and most of the best battery packs that HK sells they ship with them already attached for your convenience .

That is as good as it gets.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:57 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Can we get back to the Topic.

I just placed another order HK USA. It took 24hrs for my package to leave the Warehouse. I love it!
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:17 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
I ordered on Monday and Arrived Today. Terrific.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,006 Posts
Are all the cells close to 3.85v?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project