HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
I started doing an upgrade on my T-45 from stock power system to Wemo/Wicked 6000, with Pentium 40A ESC.

I made the tailcone and centering ring per the PDF diagram in Don's post #11. Unfortunately, the diameter is too small to get around the Wemo shroud. If I roll the mylar so that the ends just meet with no overlap, it fits just right. But the diagram calls for 3/8" of overlap. So to have overlap, I will need to make another one that is 3/8" wider. And the centering ring will have to be redone too.

There also is a problem with the lip on the Wemo shroud being obstructed by the elevator pushrod tubes. Might have to snip out some notches from the lip of the Wemo shroud.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,231 Posts
Make sure your printing the template 100% size, sometimes the printer "scales to fit" or similar and it makes it smaller.

here is how I notched mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3525895
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,231 Posts
Looking at the photos the thrust tube on this model does not overlap the back of the fan unit housing, it just butts up to it. If you look up the back end of the thrust tube it should match the inside diameter of the fan unit or be slightly bigger.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
The printer had scaled to 97% all right, and I didn't catch it. Oops! I went ahead and made the second one a little bigger than 100 percent, so it would just overlap the fan.

And I hadn't noticed the notches in that one photo. Glad I managed to come up with the same idea after thinking about it...at first I was thinking of ripping out the elevator rod tubes and deepening the channels.

Also, I found that the Pentium 40 fits snugly in the channel where the stock ESC was, with just a push to get it in there (no need to whittle out the channel wider). Maybe it will get better cooling there in the inlet ducting. But mainly, I didn't want to re-do the length of the wires that I had from the plane I used that ESC in before.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Got the upgrade finished and ready for remaiden. First time I've ever used a thrust tube. I had to make a third one, because the second one came up 1.5 cm short of the end of the tailpipe. I hope it will be secure enough to just tape the thrust tube to the fan shroud on one side (the access hatch side), because I don't see any possible way to get it taped all around.

Fortunately, the plane rebalanced nicely with no ballast, at the stock CG, with the battery relocated way forward (same Rhino 1040 3S 40C that I'm using in my Wicked 5400 F/A-18).
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:17 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Finally got a chance to remaiden the upgraded T-45. It took two trips to the RC club to get it ironed out. On the first try, the plane acted horribly tail-heavy, just unflyable. It kept sitting on it's tail and stalling. The only thing that saved it from splattering was that it had so much power that I was able to power out of the stalls, kind of like a 3-D plane I guess -- except that I don't fly 3-D, so I didn't know what I was doing...but I somehow managed to get it back on the ground gently.

I had carefully set the CG to the stock manual-recommended location, because it flew so nicely that way in stock form. I did not mess with the incidence, so I figured that the only issue I would have with the power upgrade would be a need for elevator trim at higher speeds. Well for whatever reason, the plane was just unflyable no matter what the speed -- fast, slow, whatever.

Anyway, I took the plane home, put the battery on the charger, then looked up this thread for Don's recommended CG. Then I put lead sinkers in the nose till I got it to that CG. Then back to the club for another try. Long story short...WOW! This plane is amazing now! The balance problem is gone, it feels as perfectly balanced again as it was in stock form. But other than that, it's like a completely different plane from when it had stock power. Even with the landing gear still on it, it might be the fastest plane I've ever had. And with the extra speed, the roll response is much quicker and crisper. Full-power passes were a rush. It felt like having a tiger by the tail...but the plane is still easy to fly and easy to land.

Thanks Don!
Last edited by herk1; Feb 28, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:46 PM
Los Banos Ca.
Joined Apr 2000
242 Posts
Been flying mine with Dons 6-blade fan with his inrunner 6000 motor, 1800 3s. Balanced at Dons recommened spot. Flies great, fast but not super fast with great vetical. With underhand lanch it flies right out. Really happy with the powerplant setup. I put servo covers and wing savers on but on the next plane I will put the servos up thru the wing as I land on a road. Guess I'll also try the 6 blade w/4s.. Thanks Don
Tom Rouch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Rouch
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
500 Posts
Don,
I will be using the Wicked 4800 and 50mm Wemo fan in my T-45 . I want to fly on 4s batterys, so which would you recommend from Hobbypartz? They have 4s 30c and 40c 1600 in stock, or would you go bigger?
thanks,
Frank
skrez is offline Find More Posts by skrez
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:19 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,231 Posts
I would not go over 1600. I have been using 4S 1300 40C actually lately on the 4S setups since the lipos are so cheap and light.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
500 Posts
thanks Don, what kind of flight times with 1300 40C/
Frank
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,231 Posts
I set my timer to 3.5 minutes.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2004
500 Posts
thanks Don
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2004
500 Posts
Don,
One more question, since I`m going with the high power set-up should I change the tail incidence by 2 degrees? That`s removing more stock off the rear?
thanks,
Frank
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:53 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,231 Posts
I would reduce the tail incidence if I were to build a new one, you can always fly a more forward CG as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
500 Posts
Hi Don,
Maidained my T-45 today, but it did not go very well I`m using a 4s Wicked 4800 and Wemo fan and thurst tube. I used the CG in your build log of 30mm from wing line. I gave it full trottle and gave it a good toss and as soon it left my hand it rolled 180 and crashed upside down. Never had a EDF do that to me. My Ailerons and elev. were set in thecorrect direction . I may buy a new airframe now, any ideas why that would may have happen?
Frank
Last edited by skrez; Aug 07, 2011 at 01:48 PM.