HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:02 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
I love building, so even though I'm lazy, trying to figure out how to "put the puzzle back together" is fun for me. I don't want to say I like crashing, but it does provide an opportunity to rebuild.

BTW, this Freewing one was from BP Hobbies, and is EPS foam, 64 mm fan
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
swede
United States, MA, Belchertown
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Here she is. All painted up and everything. I was going to post earlier, but our neighborhood is doing the trick or treating today, so we've been doing that stuff today.

I just ordered some batteries from United Hobby/City/King. Once I can find the recommended throws and CG, I should be set.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
752 Posts
Awesome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Here she is. All painted up and everything. I was going to post earlier, but our neighborhood is doing the trick or treating today, so we've been doing that stuff today.

I just ordered some batteries from United Hobby/City/King. Once I can find the recommended throws and CG, I should be set.
I nominate you as the Guru of foam your Awesome!!!!!
FLYGUY24/7 is offline Find More Posts by FLYGUY24/7
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:06 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYGUY24/7 View Post
I nominate you as the Guru of foam your Awesome!!!!!
Thanks. I got a chuckle out of that. It reminded me of last night when I was hanging it up. I hung it next to an SU-47 I picked up a while ago and fixed up. The SU-47 was nicknamed "Ugly Betty" by the guys st the field. I told my wife we needed to think of a good name for it. She suggested "Steve".
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:17 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Batteries came today. Unfortunately, so did the weather.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:51 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
I was able to maiden the jet today. It was a bit breezy and cold, but it was clear and dry.

It went fantastic. "Steve" flew great. I'm balanced a tad nose heavy with the 4S3000, so the take off was a little linger than I expected. Once in the air, it needed two clicks of right aileron trim and that was it.

Flight # 1 went great, I had a slight mishap on # 2 though, but nothing terrible. I looked down at my TX to start the timer while I was taxiing out so I could come into the wind. While looking down, I ever so slightly brushed against the curb.

Flight # 2 was going dandy until I did a snap roll at full throttle.......and I heard a snap. It was still flying pretty good, so I initially didn't think it was anything too critical. As I stated above, it was pretty windy, and the winds were changing quite a bit. As I came back into the wind, it needed about 6-8 clicks of left trim to keep it from rolling to the right.

I decided to err on the side of caution though, and brought it in for a low ans slow pass. Then I could see the left elevator was hanging off, and was sticking nearly straight up. I was able to make another loop and bring it in for a safe landing.

If you didn't see the elevator dangling off, you never would have thought it was flying different. I initially thought the tight snap roll was what pulled the CA hinge from the foam, but in hind sight, I see it was the brush with the curb. It's already fixed and the gorilla glue on the hinge is curing nicely.

What a great flying plane. I put just over 1800mAh's into the pack after 4 min of nearly full throttle flight on the maiden. I figure with the 4S3000's, I should be able to get just over 5 min per pack.

A friend was there to take some HD video. I'll post a link here it as soon as it's up.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:31 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Can't wait to see it flying Dan. Great work, again.
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:29 AM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Congrats on the remaiden glad to here all went well!
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:46 AM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Hey Dan,

I got a friend of mine who's picked up one of those at a local market as second hand... Guess what - no manual...

Would you mind to post your CG and throws you used?

Cheers,
Daniel
Danyboy is offline Find More Posts by Danyboy
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:36 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
My CG is toward the foward of the two zig zags on the top of the plane, balanced upside down. I have the throws set at a half inch in each direction for the ailerons and about 3/4" elevator on low rates, and 1" for ailerons on high and around 1.25-1.5" on the elevator.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:47 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
I was recommended this in another thread, but I chose to increase the throws anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtc3 View Post
Nice work there Denial, I really need to find the time to get mine back in the air... here ya go:

Low w/o thrust:
ele - 1/2"
ail - 1/2"

High w/thrust:
ele - 1"
ail - 3/4"
ALL measurements are up and down throws.
I read somewhere the elevator was pretty sensitive. Even with that in mind 1/2 and 3/4 didn't seem like much. I think the plane also comes stock with a 4s2200 pack too. I'm using a 4s3000 I didn't notice any bad characteristics. Maybe it's because I'm balanced a little noise heavy.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:38 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Here's the video of the first two flights. Towards the end of the second flight, you can see the right elevator is tilted at an odd angle.

Dan's F22 Raptor Flights (6 min 22 sec)

Thanks to my friend Todd for shooting the video for me and getting it uploaded.

I took her out for two more flights today. Both were great 5 min flights. I dabbled with the vectored thrust a little. That is going to take some getting used to.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
330 Posts
great job friend
dirdredd is offline Find More Posts by dirdredd
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I almost forgot about this as it dropped off the first few pages. Definitely a fantastic job, I surely wouldn't have the patience
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:15 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Thanks again guys. It really wasn't that hard. The patience killer for me was waiting for the glue to dry. I can't stand getting something part way done, then saying to myself "okay, just stop right there for 12hrs and wait". AARGH! I'm much too impatient for that.

If you guys have a crashed plane, I'd strongly encourage you to try to put it back together. You'll find it really isn't nearly as difficult as you would think.

I do need to find something else for the elevators. I heard a lot of bad things about the stock hinges, so I took them out. I replaced them with CA hinges, but they don't seem to be up to the task.

I think I'm going to just cut a floppy disk up and make the hinges bigger and deeper. I've used floppy dish hinges on a few planes and I've never had a problem. This was my first go at CA hinges.