HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
I had to do the wheel well in two different sections. One for the main fuse side, and one for the under part of the fuse that is still not joined. Once they are dried, I can glue the three portions together.

Here is a photo of one of the gaps and the piece of depron I cut to fit. I'll glue and tape it into place next.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
I've been stalled for a bit. I just picked up some scrap pieces of depron to fill in the gaps of missing foam.

You can see from the pics the three larger holes where I am missing sections. I will place the depron on one side of the holes and trace the cutout of what is missing. After it has been traced, I'll cut it out and glue it in. It doesn't have to be perfect, as the gorilla glue will fill in the smaller holes and gaps.

The hardest section to repair will be the section in the wheel well. I'll have to experiment with bending the depron to the shape I need. I may even have to do that one in two or three smaller cuts.
As one that has had to put together a couple of planes myself, here are some tips that have worked for me.

On the missing sections, rather than tracing the missing part, I find it easier to cut a nice symmetrical shape with straight sides that is just bigger than the piece you need to replace, and make straight cuts to the sides of the hole to match the new piece. That way you have a perfect piece to match rather then trying to cut a piece to match the compound curves of a hole. Hope that made some sense...

I also like to work with blucore or pink insulating foam. It is usually thicker than the foam on the plane and much better to sand. The advantage is that once you have a snug piece to patch the hole, you can then sand the excess flush to match all sides.

Lastly, I would definitely build a new nose cone. It would probably take just as long as trying to repair the old one, but do it right, and it can make a TON of difference in the looks.

My $.02.
Diego
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:59 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
NOW you tell me. Actually it wasn't that hard. It's close enough for me.

I have the lower section of the fuse glued back on to the rest of the plane. If I get some time tonight I'll put the top on and glue it in too. The thing I don't like about the setup is once the top is glued on, you don't have any access to the servo plugs and extensions. I'll have to make doubly certain the servos are in good working order before gluing it all together.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:38 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
I just reinstalled the front retract. With some minor adjustment of the wire it's working splendidly. I tested all of the retracts and servos, minus the ailerons, and everything seems to be functioning as intended.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
I joined the top forward section of the fuse back on. I'm thinking the nose cone isn't too bad. I may be able to get it back into shape. If not, I can probably build a new one out of white depron easy enough.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:19 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Tonight was another night where I got much more done than I had planned on. Once the GG was dry enough, I peeled the tape off to inspect it. It looks pretty good considering the circumstances.

I hadn't planned on fixing the ball link on the VT nozzle yet. I was just going to cut the broken part smooth, and one thing led to another.

A few minutes later and I have manufactured a new light-ply servo arm extender. I traced the broken one and used my dremel to shape it.

I picked up a nice Great Planes ball link set from my LHS. I figured since I was going that rout anyway, I might as well just finish the linkage off.

So, here she is.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
The ball link posted above was secured to the plastic housing with Gorilla Super Glue. That's excellent stuff for plastic pieces.

I also plan on making some light-ply skids to protect the servo arms that hang below the fuse in case I need to belly land.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Last night I repaired the Nose cone. It was easy enough to bend back into position. I glued it on last night as the final piece (besides the wings) that needs to be put back together.

This morning, I peeled off the tape and everything looks good. I took the plane out to the garage and used my dremel tool to sand the excess glue and rough places.

I would rather have indents than bumps of glue. The gorilla glue doesn't sand too well with fine grit sandpaper by hand. This way, I can sand it off, smooth it over with some light weight spakel, and sand it nice and smooth.

Here is a pic after I dremeled off the excess.
Last edited by denial15; Oct 28, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:37 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Here it is all sanded and ready for paint. I took the motor hatch with me to Hobby Lobby (Craft not RC) to see if they had some paint close enough to the stock color.

"Americana, Uniform Blue" was pretty close. Not perfect, but very close. It was just a touch too blue for me, so I added a small amount of "Apple Barrel, Country Gray" to the bottle to lighten it up.

I'd rather mix the whole bottle up at the same time. That way when I have to touch up later, I'm not mixing paint again.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
All painted. It's not a perfect match, but it'll do for now.

Time to start putting the wings back on. I didn't like those metal hinges very much. I'm missing one anyway, so I'm not going to use those. I filled in the hinge slots and I'm going to use some CA hinges that I have had kicking around for a while.

The pilot and canopy are in fine condition. I just figure I'll put him in last. No sense in the pilot sitting in a plane that's not ready to fly.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:49 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
It's resembling a real plane again.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:15 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Here's a Freewing one I'm working on - pretty similar damage. This has been glassed, nose rebuilt, now needs more spackle and final sanding and repaint
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:20 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Not too shabby. I thought I read somewhere the Freewing was supposed to be the same as the H.L. one. The underside of the Freewing looks much different. I did notice the ESC on this one is a Freewing. I wonder why the different fuse's?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:24 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Bravo, it's coming out pretty darn good! . I don't have the patience, I just order more parts Ironically, my impatience comes a few decades of building balsa aircraft, and static styrene model building takes most of my 'creative energy'. Good thing I don't crash
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:38 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
I finished it up last night. I made a cover for the thrust vectoring servo arm that sticks out below the fuse in case I need to belly land. Pics to follow. I also painted the inside of the cockpit black. I just didn't like the look of the blue inside as well.