HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2010, 08:41 AM
Maitland, FL
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
Contest
FSS #7 at Buzzards Field - Nov 6 & 7, 2010

Final FSS contest of 2010!

The Orlando Buzzards will host FSS #7 on the first weekend in November. Two days of Unlimited Thermal Duration and a great warm-up for the Tangerine Soaring Championship at the end of November. Lunchtime burgers and dogs will be available from Rusty's famous Sandbagger Grill.

Pilots' meeting at 9:45 am Saturday and 8:45 am Sunday followed immediately by first round launches. Sign up will start an hour before the pilots' meeting each day. Open winch with honors call-up.

See the Buzzards web site for field location details.
SoarT is offline Find More Posts by SoarT
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2010, 08:16 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
To add to Tom's intro - for those who aren't familiar with the Orlando Buzzards or our website here's the link to read all about this years FSS series so far, see pictures and more.
Just click on the links to look at a full report of each event in the series. You won't meet a more friendly bunch of competitors or get to enjoy a better weekend soaring than at our field in Fall for the last Florida Soaring Series contest of the season. The weather will be "to die for" the local restaurants amazing and there's plenty to see and do after flying in Florida at low cost because it's off season.
Come and join us especially if you need a Level 4 or Level 5 LSF win. Here's your opportunity. Be there 9:45am Sat Nov 6th or 8:45am Sun Nov 7th and we'll treat you to some real Florida hospitality.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
"Somebody step on a duck?"
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
Fss #7

Just a reminder, time changes Nov. 7
rkiburis is offline Find More Posts by rkiburis
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:44 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Larry, Dan, Paul, and I will be there.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
OK guys who's comin to the last Florida Soaring Series contest next Saturday and Sunday? We have planned weather to die for and a great final round of what has been a terrific series all year. 7 or so rounds of Open winch Thermal Duration with some great Rusty burgers and dogs for lunch. Come on out and join us.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:05 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b View Post
... and dogs for lunch.

Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:11 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Who wants to do a little practice in the wind Friday afternoon? Mike? Jody?
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:31 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b View Post
Who wants to do a little practice in the wind Friday afternoon? Mike? Jody?
Gordon
I wanted to, but Paul's riding with me and he has to work, so we won't get there until Friday evening.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:43 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
In case any of you haven't kept up with the series standings and would like to know where you're at, the pilots who have flown in the series so far have accumulated points which are on the FSS website. This is the Saturday point standings going into the final contest.
This is the sunday series point standings.
It's been a great 2010 soaring series and this weekend promises to be a great climax to end the year.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:02 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
That's weird. I'm a sportsman on Saturdays and an expert on Sundays.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:38 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
Went out and practiced this afternoon with Gordy. Excellent soaring conditions right up until dark with 10 minutes an easy task though a little chilly. 2nd flight was 24 minutes and I only came down because my eyes were crying with sunscreen. Should be the same tomorrow going by the forecast. Looking forward to it. Broke a flap linkage hand tossing the Xplorer so gotta dig a little piece of brass out of the innards of a flap tonight to fix it. See you all in the am.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:59 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
The Gordon Report Sat - If nice guys finish last it's not because they are nice guys.

We had a forecast today calling for 13 mph wind from the NW gusting to 20 with a high of 67 very dry air. For once they got it pretty well right. Great conditions for soaring if you managed the wind. Thermals were abundant but needed to be worked hard - sometimes with tight turns to stay in the lift and other times moving around a lot to re-acquire the rising air multiple times in a few minutes. Sometimes the lift was so strong that we were specked out within 2 to 3 minutes from launch. Other times pilots were on the ground inside of 2 minutes when they found the inevitable sink cycles in between. It was certainly windy and cold but a great change from the heat we have experienced the last few months.
1st round was an 8 minute max and saw our CD Rick Eckel set the scene for the day with a near perfect score of 7:59 and 100 landing. Rusty and I also got our times and landings in pretty soft lift early. Kris Van Nostran was 4th best in the round so it was this 4 that launched first in the Honors Callup format for the next round 2.
The air was available but you needed to set off in the right direction to start with and this 2nd round I did not do that and paid the price with only half the task time before I was grounded. Rick showed the way by working very hard and getting his time plus a landing while both Rusty and Kris fell short of their maxes also with tough air. Jim MacLean, Jody Miller and Dan Johns found better conditions a little later in the round and got away to record great scores and get called up to fly first in Round 3 with Rick.
Most of the day we had either buzzards or eagles and ocasionally cranes working air in the vicinity and though the conditions were clearly choppy the lift was there and being marked often. Jody and Rick found the up stuff to get maxes - as did Gordy Stahl, myself and Kris Van Nostran. This particular round I tried to reach some eagles too far south and downwind and after failing that I made a great save circling over the pond at around tree height for a few minutes to finally work out and downwind for a max to remember. The callup for round 4 was Gordy, Jody, myself, and Kris. We were sent on our way by CD Rick and for the first time today Jody and I were flying at the same time so we could not call for each other. I saw Jody "turn and burn" and my caller John Kennedy kept me informed of his progress downwind while I headed upwind to the treeline. Jody did not find what he sought and was soon back to the field low while I found my bump and got my 8 minute ride. Dan Johns found good air too and the unstoppable Rick Eckel was the only other max for the round. 4th best and joining us in the honors was Kris Van Nostran who remains focused on his LSF program and improves every contest.
After a great Rusty Carver lunch was enjoyed by all Rick hunted us out for round 5. The honors group launched into a cold sink cycle and with only 4 minutes on the clock I was downwind and low wehn I tried a wrap. Losing about 100 feet and blowing further way I suddenly realised I was going behind trees. Though I got sight of her again briefly I was unable to avoid the big pine trees and the Xplorer found a roost high above a house about 150 yards off field. Kris Van Nostran made the most of this patch of down air with a 4:54 - 76 and not a soul made the time until last flight put up by Ray Alonzo as he found lift and specked out for the only max of the round. Mike Naylor the leading Sportsman pilot scored a 4:33 - 89 to join Dan Johns and Ray and Kris to start off round 6.
This round proved to be the easiest of the day with great flocks of markers in two areas of the sky checking out and 6 pilots got their time. Rick Eckel won the round with a 8:00 - 94 and Gordy Stahl flew his Perfect into a 8:01 - 89. I was 3rd in the round flying my sons old Icon as my Xplorer was going to be treed for a while. The lift directly overhead right off the launch was just amazing as I found the Icon getting very small in just a couple of minutes from launch. Ray Alonzo was the 4th honors pilot with consecutive maxes flying his old Escape.
The last round was called by Rick just as out tree climber arrived to retrieve my Xplorer and also Larry Squires Shadow which was perched high in an Oak tree beside the fence. Once again the air was fabulous as six of us got maxes in strong and sometimes very turbulent air that was still moving downwind quickly. Rick Eckel was not to be denied a victory as he once again found the good stuff and secured what was a runaway win. I found myself still in 2nd place at the finish in spite of my zero off field. Dan Johns took 3rd place. Mike Naylor was the top sportsman with some great flying and Steve Formanek came in 2nd sportsman.
It really was a great days soaring with very interesting and sometimes challenging conditions but as Rick showed us there was lift a plenty if you worked at it. Those that didn't make it missed out on a lot of fun. I am really looking forward to tomorrow with a warmer day forecast. CU all there.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aussief3b; Nov 07, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:39 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,605 Posts
The Gordon Report Sun - Take a risk - do something different

14 intrepid pilots arrived at the Buzzards field this morning to do battle. Try as I may I could not find that necessary extra pilot to make the 15. Unfortunately for 3 LSF level 4 aspirants today this contest cannot be counted to progress them forward in the LSF program. It is only the 3rd time in 2 years that less than 15 pilots turned up to fly a FSS contest at the Buzzards. We will just have to keep working at getting more members out to fly.
Some say the weather kept them away but frankly todays weather was the most interesting thermalling day we've had all year with no pilots getting all their maxes and everybody having to work very very hard to make their times every round. Thats what makes this soaring game fun. And fun we had today.
CD Rick Eckel got proceedings underway at 9:00am though the air was cold and th sky fairly well blanketed with some mid level stratus clouds streaking across. Wind was more NW at about 10mph with occasional gusty bits to deal with.
Round one was simply very difficult air to read with soft lift in tight bubbles early on in the round. As the round went on, one group found pretty reasonable lift and we managed to get a few full 7:00 min maxes. Gordy flying his "other" Perfect with the trim and radio now working right was one of the pilots to find good air along with Rich Kiburis and a constantly improving Mike Naylor. Ray Alonzo was the best of the rest to give us our 4 honors guys for round 2. Jody had flown very deep in lift and found himself reflexed and racing home but very low. Finally as he neared the field below tree height he had to cross the "no-fly" zone and was awarded a zero flight. He did save the model with a fine display of low level flying back to the LZ, but unfortunately the rule had been set that a zero would be awarded for anyone flying below 3 times tree top height over our neighbors property.
In Round 2 Gordy once again found a sweet spot and made a fine max to record the only one for the entire round. The air was truly fickle with small bumps often showing promise and petering out. It was a very humbling experience for me as I managed to post two 4 minute rounds in a row as I struggled to come to terms with the difficult conditons. Our hard working CD Rick Eckel also was found thermalling just above tree top height in the "no fly" zone and he gallantly gave himself a zero to remain consistent. The real problem here was that this zone was immediately downwind of our launch and landing area. Real hard to avoid. Dan Johns once again showed his depth of experience with a good time of 6:49 - just 10 seconds short, while Paul Mittendorf flying a bagged Supra and Ray Alonzo and his old Escape were next best in Rd 2.
Before Round 3 got underway we were greeted with some patches of sunlight which started to get things popping more consistently. Unfortunately the honors guys didn't launch at the optimum moment and got done pretty badly, but maxes were posted by Rich Kiburis and Rick Eckel to be our 1st two pilots launching in round 4. Conditions were so tough that Jody was in the honors group as was Rusty and the scores that got them there were 4 and 5 minutes.
Round 4 saw us launch into the best air so far for the day, as nine pilots made the time including myself for my first max of what so far had been a dismal performance for me.
Ed White made a great flight with the old Fusion as did Rich Kiburis with the Onyx JW and Rusty with his Onyx L.
The contest had really been flying along as we stopped for Rusty to cook lunch. He had burgers grilled for half the pilots before running out of gas and having to run for a top up. It really is fabulous to have the depth of guys who assist at our contests and the Buzzards are really blessed to have so many guys who step up to the plate and do the work to make these contests possible.
After the lunch break was over we got straight into round 5 in simply very difficult air once again. Though lift was available the ride was always very fast downwind with simply insufficient rate of climb to work back for long enough to make the time. I scratched around to nearly make my time and had to make an extra low level turn in the LZ because my dog Scruffy raced out to greet my plane. Once Jody got a grip on him I still managed to hit the LZ for some points to take the round. Ray Alonzo was second with Paul Mittendorf and Rick Eckel making the four.
Just before we launched into round 6 a very strong breeze started to blow constantly from the North and Rick and other pilots were seen adding ballast.
I launched first and headed upwind to the front of the treeline into the most awesome lift we had all day. When the wind blows this strong there is always great wave activity at the Buzzards and this day was no exception as everybody but 2 pilots made their times in a round that saw many specked out. I didn't make a single turn until it was time to land. Jody went foward later in the round and did pretty much the same thing although others took thermals downwind as well. Great air and awesome fun to fly it.
The four honors pilots for the final round 7 were Rusty Carver, Jody Miller, myself and Dan Johns. The wind was still blowing strong but we had markers to the left so that was the direction I headed only to find little love. I spent a couple of minutes dicking around at and below tree height over the pond to be unfortunately first to land at just over 4 mins. Jody was able to find the air above me and downwind and made his time for a great scoring flight. Rusty and Dan got 5 minutes or so. Of the remaining pilots Rick Eckel took his Perfect out for a great max and Gordy (unashamedly demonstrating the ultimate in sandbagging techniques) kept us all waiting and finally launched into pretty good air after everyone else had already landed for the round.
When the scores were tallied after a gruelling day we had Mike Naylor winning the Sportsman category. I sneaked into 3rd place with some solid late rounds. Rusty showed his class when it mattered to take 2nd place and Gordy showed us that he hasn't lost his touch entirely to take top honors for the day.
I think that this contest - both Sat and Sun taught me more about thermal flying than any TD contest I have flown before. It is such a pity that so many good TD pilots didn't come out and experience the same thing as it takes these conditions to bring out the real skills that keep our ships aloft for the required time and even more skills to make landings accurately in such choppy conditions. I am already waiting for the Tangerine. Lets do it guys. See you at the Buzzards field in 3 weeks.
Over and out.
Gordon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aussief3b; Nov 07, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:40 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
We had some really difficult conditions this weekend. I'd say everyone who still has a plane to bring back for the Tangerine contest is a winner!
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:21 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,908 Posts
Great write-up Gordon. One of these days, if I can ever retire, I'm going to be a pest at these things.
Meanwhile, we had pretty much the same conditions at San Felasco today "Though lift was available the ride was always very fast downwind with simply insufficient rate of climb to work back for long enough to make the time." Nice turn of phrase, wish I could have been there.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes