SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:37 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Discussion
Jeannin Stahltaube

I am finishing my Taube. I started with a 1984 Nick Zeroli kit, 88 inch Wing Span and 1500 SQ. IN. Wing Area.

I want to enter it in Scale contests so I modified it to true Warping tail for the Elevator and added the flexable wing trailing edges for wing warping. The Elevator has a 3 inch range of travel and the wing tips have about 2 inches of travel. I originally tried using some steel wire I had for the flexable sections but it was too stiff so I have removed the wires and have added Carbon fiber rods on the tail. I ran out of carbon rods and am awaiting a second shipment to do the wing tips.

The model is powered by an OS FS91S II-P swinging a 15 x 6 prop. Current weight is 7 lb 9 oz and should finish out under 8 1/2 lbs. I just have the wings to cover and finish the nose. I made the wing in two sections to be able to get in my van. LOL

I am getting this model ready to enter in Control Line Sport Scale contests. There are 88 cables on the model, 24 are finished and the balance are only finished on one end at present. The King Posts on the top and bottom of the model each have 8 cables going to them.

Yes! It is a Control Line model using my U/Tronics Control system that controls three servos in the model, Throttle, Rudder and Wing Warp plus a bellcrank for the Elevator through the insulated flying lines.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Oct 09, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling error
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:34 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
All but 4 cables are installed on the tail.

It was suggested that I do a "drop a message" as an optional maneuver. With all of those cables back there, it would never leave the airplane. LOL

Clancy
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:26 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
The model met the chain saw today!

Well close, I cut 3 1/4 inches off the nose and moved the firewall back the same amount. I noticed something was wrong when trying to determine where the fabric ended and the aluminum was to start on the body.

What do we tell all new scale builders, "Get your documentation first."

What did I do, I built the body per the kit! Now it turns out the designer had extended the nose to make it easier to balance the model and to improve the flying performance. Compare these pictures, the one with aluminum tape on the nose was as built. The second picture is after the chain saw! Compare it now to the pictures of the real airplane. This is closer to scale.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:37 AM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
After yesterday's Chain Saw operation on the nose of the model I have calculated the damages!

By moving the engine that weighs 23.23 ounces from 12.25 inches in front of the CG to 9 inches in front of the CG, it has upset the balance and will require 8.4 ounces of nose ballast. That does not include the loss of the weight of wood removed forward of the CG. I guesstimate that in the end I Will be adding between 10 and 12 ounces of ballast in the nose.

This will increase the wing loading from 14.62 to 15.77 ounces per square foot. Still a light wing loading for a scale model. I have competed with models that had 45 and 49 ounces per square foot wing loadings and have the trophies to prove they were competitive.

Now I need to finish the rebuilding of the nose area and close in the area above and below the 1/4 inch plywood firewall. I probably should make a new firewall but that is a lot of work for minimal added strength. I will use 1/8 inch plywood for the fillers and lap the joints in place of edge gluing them to the firewall. I can use the added weight!

There is space between the new firewall position and the next former to allow me to mount the fuel tank vertical in place of horizontal. Since the engine has a fuel pump I should not have a problem with fuel flow.
Clancy
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:35 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Finished the rework of the nose after shortening it 3 1/4 inches and moved the firewall back the same amount.

Temporarily installed the Vintage wheels on the model.

I Added 4 more cables on the tail, they run from the top or bottom of the rudder post to the center of the stab leading edge.
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Oct 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:31 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Very nice Clancy here are some photos of mine built from a Balsa USA kit, the Taube 90

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:21 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Bill
That looks nice. Wish I had wheels like that for mine!

What engine are you using?
Clancy
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:30 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
The wheels are Proctor, very expensive but worth every penny as far as I am concerned. The engine is a NIB Os 90fs rear cam but there is a chance it is underpowered. Once I get it to the field for some taxi tests I'll find out. The recommended 120fs just looked rediculously large in the engine bay.

Here are a couple more models I have built, hope you like them.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:07 AM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Bill
On eBay there is an OS 120 FS supercharged, NIB for sale that should pull it. LOL

Starting bid is $495.00 just relisted as no bids the first time. Same asking price.

My OS FS91-SII-P is rated at 1.6 BHP at 11,000 RPM, the OS FS120 Supercharged is rated at 2.5 BHP at 10,000 RPM. OS claims a 30 to 40 percent increase in power with the supercharger.
Clancy
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Oct 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:57 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
I got two thing accomplished today on the model. Shot the nose with gray primer twice with sanding in between. Lots of dings and divots to repair.

I will not need any lead ballast in the nose. I need a 4.8 volt battery pack for the U/Tronics. I normally use a 4 AA Ni-Cd cells rated at 600mAh, BUT I wanted to balance the model so I installed, right under the OS 91, a 4.8 volt battery pack made up of some 1/2 length D cells of 2.2 AH. The 4 cells weigh 10.8 ounces. Charge once and fly all season! LOL

No pictures to post as everything is hiding behind the newspaper masking.

Last night I started painting the first coat on the metal parts that will end up White such as the rudder post, Top and bottom King Posts and all of those little tabs that the guy wires attach to like the 22 tabs on the top, bottom and sides of the flexable elevator.
Clancy
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
I needed 16 cable to Carbon Fiber rod connectors to hook the wing warp control cables and wing tip spreader cables to the carbon fiber rods. This is in addition to the ones made previously for the elevator. See sketch below.

The carbon fiber rods are 1.5 mm dia. (.058 in.) The connectors are formed from .009 in. sheet brass. The connectors are installed using medium CA. then held closed with spring cloths pins until the glue cures.

Clancy
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Today I worked on covering 1/2 the wing and especially the flexible trailing edge.

The pictures below show the steps to cover the Carbon Fiber rods. On the Jeannin Stahltaube the bottom covering is continuous and the top covering is pulled down around the rods.

Step 1. Preshrink the covering material using your iron or heat gun, otherwise it will pull the rods together and distort the outline of the wing tip. See picture 194.
Step 2. Using your heat iron tack the bottom covering to the bottom of the rods. See picture 095.
Step 3. Cover the top surface of the wing. Be sure the top covering will cover the front 1/4 inch of the rods. Form the top covering between the rods and about 1/4 inch lap onto the top surface of the bottom covering. See picture 097.
Step 4. Using 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide strips of the top covering material, Iron them on to the rods and lap onto the bottom covering. This is best done with the edge of your iron against the rods while holding a piece of wood flat against the bottom of the rods. See picture 097.
Step 5. Cut to size and install the top covering between the rods. On the plane I am modeling the wing is covered with an Orange colored fabric except on the top surface only they put White fabric between the Cane poles. See picture 098.

I glued in place the guy cable brackets, the Wing tip spreader post and the wing warp A frame towers. Finished the second end on all of the associated cables. See picture 099.
Picture 0100 shows the complete wing half with a Red Yard Stick for size.

One wing is complete except for painting the Black X on the White squares and connecting the guy wires from the top and bottom King posts on the body and the guy from the side of the engine. Nine more cables to go on this wing half!!

Hope to finish the second wing 1/2 tomorrow.
Clancy
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:29 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Ready for flight test

My Taube is ready for flight test. It has been an interesting build. I cannot think of a part that has not been altered from the kit to make it SCALE.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. The model has an 88 inch WS and weighs 8 lbs 13.6 oz. The last two pictures show the amunt of Rudder and Wing Warp control I have through my U/Tronics Control System.

Clancy
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:23 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,037 Posts
Nice job, Clancy. We are looking forward to flight reports!

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:09 AM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
I took it to our local CL Club meeting last night for show and tell. It about filled one room by it's self. LOL

The fall season in Indiana is wind so the first flight may not happen until spring but I will post results when it happens.

Clancy