Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:58 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Nice, do you have a link to the art tech v22 parts. The only distributor I could find was bannana hobby.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
That is too cool, the fact that it is homebrew using the simpliest of means makes it even better.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:19 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
parts for v22 osprey art tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Nice, do you have a link to the art tech v22 parts. The only distributor I could find was bannana hobby.
Hi foam and tape,thuis is the link,is in china......
http://www.helipal.com/spare-part_ar...22-osprey.html
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:39 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Airhog Osprey about $80. Too bad they don't make hobby grade stuff
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:28 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
more questions

foam and tape,

On the stability issue while in hover, I assume yaw is no problem and probably pitch??? Is roll stability the only challenge? If so, maybe a gyro for roll stability would allow the use of regular props? GWS makes counter rotating props in three blade variety. 3 blade counter rotating prop
Last edited by leadfeather; Nov 16, 2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Thats a whole diffrent beast I dont know much about that, other than that its really difficult and you need 3 gyros and pitch is the worst challenge. Theres another thread around here that shows the problem with todays rate gyros that return to center too quickly. V-22chap knows all about this stuff.

I originally built my first tilt rotor with standard propellers and it was sooo close to working till it started rocking back and forward on the pitch axis till it lost control then crashed.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:44 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Thats a whole diffrent beast I dont know much about that, other than that its really difficult and you need 3 gyros and pitch is the worst challenge. Theres another thread around here that shows the problem with todays rate gyros that return to center too quickly. V-22chap knows all about this stuff.

I originally built my first tilt rotor with standard propellers and it was sooo close to working till it started rocking back and forward on the pitch axis till it lost control then crashed.
Good info thanks!

I wish counter rotating fly-bar stabilized propellers/rotors were easier to get.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Could you post some pics?
Namingly the rotor head.
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:11 PM
graz
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Good info thanks!

I wish counter rotating fly-bar stabilized propellers/rotors were easier to get.
first of all: foam and tape: really great work!!!!!!!! i hope i can rebuild your model and it flys only a little bit like yours.

maybe you try this one: http://www.amazon.de/Carson-50050702.../dp/B001WAKFMA

dont be afraid, i got it for 70 , but i dont know if you can get it in the US, it has counterrotating rotors an the head is 90 degrees the other side.

but i'm trying to use the rotorhead of this thing with this motor:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6311

i have one of these at home so i'll try if it makes enough trust, if not i'll have to take this ones:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=2069

(i think its the same as the blue wonder? foam and tape uses?)

its a little bit tricky, because the head is glued to the main rotor shaft. but with heating it, i could seperate it. an the size of the motor seems to fit really well. the orignal ulcopter isn't flying really well.

another idea of mine is 3D printing. sonmething really new, but i thing it could work. look here for more information: http://www.shapeways.com/ they have lots of materials an can nearly shape anything i thing.

another nice thing from hobbyking is this, maby you can get a full conversion of 90 degrees with it:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=11302

or another very small retracting gear?!

im trying to build a vtol in avtar samson/scorpion style, with 2 counterrotating motors on each side (sadly not availaible any more at hk) at the moment. most difficult is pitch (as foamandtape said before), but i did some short flights already, no tryind different servos on nick. some pics her, but in german, as i'm from austria. a guy from italy got a minimag flying as vtol, its in the same thread, really cool:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=161883&page=6

greets Andi
agassner84 is offline Find More Posts by agassner84
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:54 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Here is a concept sketch for a combination flybar stabilizer and prop adapter. This would allow any size prop to be used.

The fly bar (not shown) would pivot on the two bolts which hold the adapter to the motor shaft. There are two sets of holes for the bolts so that the flybar can be set at 45 degree phase angle for either prop rotation direction.

The prop (not shown) is held to the prop adapter with an O-ring as usual. A ball at the end of the shaft accepts the linkage from the flybar.

Any machinists out there?

Also any two bladed counter-rotating props available? I've only seen 3 bladed.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:28 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,726 Posts
I think I can see how it would work, it's an interesting concept. How do you think the prop would be affected by having its pivot below its center of mass? and what about the compound tilt of the flibar? I can see thow it would be stabilized by gyroscopic forces as long as most of the mass is away from the hub, though
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:36 AM
Bricks don't glide !
Joined Mar 2008
209 Posts
Counter-rotating props

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Here is a concept sketch for a combination flybar stabilizer and prop adapter. This would allow any size prop to be used.

Also any two bladed counter-rotating props available? I've only seen 3 bladed.
I've been using these for over a year now. 8", 10" & 12"

Good quality and great service.

http://www.tech-mp.com/accessories.php
KayCee_V4 is offline Find More Posts by KayCee_V4
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:01 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
I think I can see how it would work, it's an interesting concept. How do you think the prop would be affected by having its pivot below its center of mass? and what about the compound tilt of the flibar? I can see thow it would be stabilized by gyroscopic forces as long as most of the mass is away from the hub, though
I think I can see how it would work, it's an interesting concept. How do you think the prop would be affected by having its pivot below its center of mass?
Good question, don't know?? Probably the higher up this pivot point is the better.

and what about the compound tilt of the flibar?

Not sure what you mean, the flybar (which isn't sown in the diagram) pivots on the lower anchor bolts...just a single plane of pivot.

I can see thow it would be stabilized by gyroscopic forces as long as most of the mass is away from the hub, though
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:22 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCee_V4 View Post
I've been using these for over a year now. 8", 10" & 12"

Good quality and great service.

http://www.tech-mp.com/accessories.php
Nice find! Just what I wanted.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
V2 of flybar prop adapter

This sketch should make things a little more clear. I also revised the design a bit to get the pivot point of the prop higher.