SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:35 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
No cargo drops unfortunately... The lateral CG gets below the control vanes. The next one should be able to take cargo though
sweet. next up the avro aerocar. come on f&t I know you can do it.
pitviper51 is online now Find More Posts by pitviper51
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:03 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
It looks like Airhogs plane, lol
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
25 Posts
Very cool, I made a tilt rotor foamy very similar to this last year but could never get it to fly. I just went to the hobby store yesterday and bought 2 CX2 upper rotor heads. What diameter did you shave the rotors down to? from the video it looks like you have also messed with the wights on the flybar. Did you put on smaller weights or adjust the flybar diameter too?

I'm going to dust off my old tilt rotor and see if I can get these CX2 heads to make it flyable. What motors do you use?

Thanks and keep the videos coming.

flyingbeaver26 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbeaver26
Last edited by flyingbeaver26; Nov 02, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:01 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Awesome Flyingbeaver26!! Yup I shaved the blades down to about 8 inchs (what my motor normally swung) it takes more power to run though because of the added mass of the flybar. The original flybar weights were tossed and I used a dubro wheel collet to lock it to the flybar. Good luck!!
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:02 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Oh and the motors are the 24g "bluewonder" motors 1300kv version.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:41 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,653 Posts
f&t,

Excellent work! Very impressive.

Have you tried this plane without the stabilized rotors...ordinary props? Are the stabilized rotors critical to stable hovering?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:34 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
f&t,

Excellent work! Very impressive.

Have you tried this plane without the stabilized rotors...ordinary props? Are the stabilized rotors critical to stable hovering?
Yup, I couldint get it to work with regular props since I don't have the right gyros. It's much easier to build/setup with the flybars. I just need to find a better motor setup.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:25 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
congrats! Great job!
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:45 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbeaver26 View Post
Very cool, I made a tilt rotor foamy very similar to this last year but could never get it to fly. I just went to the hobby store yesterday and bought 2 CX2 upper rotor heads. What diameter did you shave the rotors down to? from the video it looks like you have also messed with the wights on the flybar. Did you put on smaller weights or adjust the flybar diameter too?

I'm going to dust off my old tilt rotor and see if I can get these CX2 heads to make it flyable. What motors do you use?

Thanks and keep the videos coming.

Just noticed a problem you might have. Your pivot appears to be at or behind 50% of the wing chord. In hover mode you will want the motors at the CG and in normal flight you want your CG at 25 to 30%. Now your motors will help this being forward on the wing. Have you accounted for this?
Just curious.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:35 AM
Joined Oct 2006
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Just noticed a problem you might have. Your pivot appears to be at or behind 50% of the wing chord. In hover mode you will want the motors at the CG and in normal flight you want your CG at 25 to 30%. Now your motors will help this being forward on the wing. Have you accounted for this?
Just curious.
Mike
Motorhead, Yes, I did account for this. With the motors mounted on the wing, once they rotate down, they shift the GC to %30 of the chord from %50. Good observation.
I went with the double gyrro method and counter rotating props. But it was still not stable enough to fly. I'll be retrofitting with the CX2 flybars and posting an update in a couple weeks. I have to buy some new motors as well.
flyingbeaver26 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbeaver26
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:58 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
v22 osprey with esky 340mm head

hi!
now thanks to foam and tape ,he came to me one ideea!!
i all ready order 2 alluminium head rotors from esky replaicement for hunter,lama v4 etc...
and durable blades for it...what i want to do is to use only the upper head with stabilized bar,just like foam and tape,but i not want to cut the blades....so my question is,what motor to use capabil to run with 13 " propp and with lower amps!?i seen some gear box what i think is good to get the job done!..but i am not sure what gear box is most apropriate for this
i plan do buil a osprey plane with weight of max 400grames..
best regards!!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:42 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,653 Posts
foam&tape,

I just watched you indoor video once again, very cool. Just before landing it looks like you make the craft drift to one side and ten to the other. Was this "in hover" roll control or just the craft rocking on it's own?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:31 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Its part of a problem with the V tail mixer and the ESC's not totally in sync at WOT. I think the thunderbird 9's are reprogramming their end points every time I plug in the lipo...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:33 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine View Post
hi!
now thanks to foam and tape ,he came to me one ideea!!
i all ready order 2 alluminium head rotors from esky replaicement for hunter,lama v4 etc...
and durable blades for it...what i want to do is to use only the upper head with stabilized bar,just like foam and tape,but i not want to cut the blades....so my question is,what motor to use capabil to run with 13 " propp and with lower amps!?i seen some gear box what i think is good to get the job done!..but i am not sure what gear box is most apropriate for this
i plan do buil a osprey plane with weight of max 400grames..
best regards!!
Cool i'm also planning on redoing my VTOL. As far as gearbox choices i'm a bit clueless i'm looking at some of the eps 350 gearboxes from GWS.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Cool i'm also planning on redoing my VTOL. As far as gearbox choices i'm a bit clueless i'm looking at some of the eps 350 gearboxes from GWS.
hi foam and tape!
today i buy from helipal.com,parts from v22 osprey art tech...it has exact what i want to do...motor holder and other parts,sure i d'ont buy all stuff
and i want to use 2 c10 2900kv brushless....anyway in that configuration with 2 brushed 180 art tech claimed a thrust of 350gr...i think is enaugh for 800 mm wspan,i think...but now i am get in 3 airplanes to make and to maiden all..one at the time
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine