HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:50 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE- Build thread, or at least give up your secrets
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2010, 06:59 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE- Build thread, or at least give up your secrets
LOL there all in plain veiw theres nothing all too complicated... the secrets in the flybars
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
foam and tape, the background music you used is Blocked from other countries, so they are unable to view the video. Can you upload the video to Vimeo or change the music? I know that is allot to ask but there are people not in the US that would like to view your success.

I'm probibly going to get some more vids of it in a week at the KEIF event... mainly fine tuning this thing. I won't put any music in that video I hate googletube they also blocked my video in Thailand.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 07:04 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
foam and tape, the background music you used is Blocked from other countries, so they are unable to view the video. Can you upload the video to Vimeo or change the music? I know that is allot to ask but there are people not in the US that would like to view your success.
It works in the UK, but I'm surprised they haven't totally removed that music - I'm assuming you haven't paid for it.

Oh, and I'm very, very impressed with the tilt rotor.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:08 AM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Fabulous work! whe you think that its prety well agreed upon that transiton is the realy difficult bit for VTOL thers been loads that just hover but hardly any that can do what you did about 5 times in your first flight!

now i dont like to be pedantic but what youve built ther is in fact a Tilt Wing though its a hybrid i geuss as you are useing rotors and not props .

i was about to start a tilt wing project-xc-142 but decided agqinst it owing to the mixing complications -which you seem to have completly side steped!

again briliant job look forward to more info.
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
How do you overcome the c/g shift when the wing goes verticle and vice versa? There mush be a change in c/g that would (should) effect the plane?
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Last edited by mastrsn; Oct 13, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:14 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn View Post
How do you overcome the c/g shift when the wing goes verticle and vice versa? There mush be a change in c/g that would (shound) effect the plane?

Cg shift? Whats that The good thing with this plane is that the plane isint picky to where i place the cg. When the wing tilts the motors pivot off center moving the cg forward a few inches. This thing is a weird machine. I don't even get full 90 degree rotation the wings are at about an 80 degree angle. Still flys but the fuse is tilted upward
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakiblunt View Post
Fabulous work! whe you think that its prety well agreed upon that transiton is the realy difficult bit for VTOL thers been loads that just hover but hardly any that can do what you did about 5 times in your first flight!

now i dont like to be pedantic but what youve built ther is in fact a Tilt Wing though its a hybrid i geuss as you are useing rotors and not props .

i was about to start a tilt wing project-xc-142 but decided agqinst it owing to the mixing complications -which you seem to have completly side steped!

again briliant job look forward to more info.

Lol tiltwing. I knew I screwed up something.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,753 Posts
I suspect that the excessive play of the wing tilt actually helps pitch control in plane mode. Otherwise you'd have a reversal of pitch inputs as soon as the tail starts working. Also, keeping the fuselage horizontal in a hover without either full cyclic on the rotors or a tail rotor will probably be impossible. The fuselage attitude in a hover will be completely dependent on getting the CG of the plane in hover mode exactly underneath the rotors. But hey, it looks and flies great, who cares? It's not like you'll need to worry shifting cargo on this thing! Good job, looks fantastic!
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
Also, keeping the fuselage horizontal in a hover without either full cyclic on the rotors or a tail rotor will probably be impossible. The fuselage attitude in a hover will be completely dependent on getting the CG of the plane in hover mode exactly underneath the rotors.
Peter is using the ailerons for pitch control in hover. Move both ailerons as flapperons or spoilerons while in hover, and you will get a pitch moment.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:08 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
just way too cool.
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:37 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,108 Posts
very nicely done again sir
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:33 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
Peter is using the ailerons for pitch control in hover. Move both ailerons as flapperons or spoilerons while in hover, and you will get a pitch moment.
I realize that, but unless the CG is centered underneath the rotors while in hover mode, you'll either have no forward/backward speed or a level fuselage. Not both
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:54 AM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
i asume your useing 'pilot' mixing as oposed to computor mixing? ie you just use the controls diferently in the different flight modes, rather than having them automaticaly changing whent the wing tilts?
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:48 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
That is really cool.
I am going to watch this one.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth