HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:02 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Discussion
Stuck on Mounting the ESC and Battery AGAIN !

Man, I spent 3 days scratching my head on how to mount the ESC and battery on my latest build, a Radical RC Stick 400. I do that on every plane I build.
I did finally work out the ESC mount, photo later in the Stick 400 build thread.

What I ended up doing is to CA glue some wood blocks the same thickness as the esc, then CA a wood strip across it at each end. I can simply pull the wood off and re-glue it if I need to remove the ESC. Most people don't remove their ESC and show it off, so I guess I am ok there.

Now the battery. I can't use velcro and cross my fingers so the best I can usually do is make a battery box from a wood frame for an oversized battery, then fill the space with foam blocks. They have to fit in a way that they can be easily removed to load a larger battery and I keep other foam blocks handy for smaller batteries.

That is about the best I can do for this situation.
This is easy on heli's, but man do I scratch my head on how to mount this stuff on airplanes.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:56 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
Velcro, velcro, velcro. If there's no room, then simply remount in a different location.

Using CA not only will damage your components, but it gets everywhere too.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:10 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm about to deal with the same issue on another Radical RC plane. I'm thinking some sort of "bench," probably 1/8" plywood, mounted to the plane's bottom with balsa blocks. The bench is raised off the bottom just enough so I get velcro-tie downs under it and back over the battery.

The trick is to not block access to the landing gear tie-downs, but I think it's do-able.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:14 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Cut two pcs of 1/16 ply the size of your battery.
Wax fuselage ahead of front wing seat.
Cut four 3/4" long sections from 3/8 sq.motor stick stock. [assuming that your fuselage is like the stock SS]
Center fuselage on one of the 1/16 ply parts and glue the four blocks one on each side front and rear. Go for a tight fit.
Shim the tops of each of the four blocks with scrap 1/64 ply or thick paper.
Glue the remaining 1/16 part to the tops of the four blocks.
This will result in a tight fitting sliding mount for the battery on the bottom and the ESC on the top.
Use thin velcro for both and follow up with tie-wraps.
Use a GWS cowl screw to hold the double deck sliding tray where balance dictates.
Works for me. art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Last edited by Art Schmitz; Oct 09, 2010 at 03:35 AM. Reason: added info
Old Oct 09, 2010, 06:45 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Art's way is similar to what I did on other planes. Not only Radical but all of the scratch build types. Velcro is ok but after some use it looses some grip. That is unless there is a good quality brand available. Getting it loose from a tight space can be a problem too.
Back later, chores to do.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop