SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 04:25 PM
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Discussion
NitroPlanes Guanli 401 J3 Piper Cub

I bought one today and have a few questions.

Background - I am a newbie still learning and just started out a couple of weeks ago - I had a Hobby Zone Champ but the motor or ESC started failing (10 - 15 flights) and the second Champ I bought was defective so I am waiting for a replacement. Good beginners plane.

Question - can I use the Nitro Piper Cub with the Spektrum DX7 that I bought if I change the receiver and replug /wire up the channel leads? I know the Piper has it's own TX but in the end I would like to put all the planes on the new DX7 I bought. I was thinking of buying a couple of the Hobby King 4 or 6 channel Spehtrum knock-off Rxs. If this is possible then my next question is about the power. The Spectrum Rx appears to have a max voltage of 9.6. The Piper Cub uses a battery voltage of 11.1. If there a BEC or something that I would use to drop the voltage to prevent burning up the Rx?

Thanks!!

This hobby can get expensive quickly.
gp1200x is offline Find More Posts by gp1200x
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:17 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp1200x View Post

Background - I am a newbie still learning and just started out a couple of weeks ago - I had a Hobby Zone Champ but the motor or ESC started failing (10 - 15 flights) and the second Champ I bought was defective so I am waiting for a replacement. Good beginners plane.

Question - can I use the Nitro Piper Cub with the Spektrum DX7 that I bought if I change the receiver and replug /wire up the channel leads? I know the Piper has it's own TX but in the end I would like to put all the planes on the new DX7 I bought. I was thinking of buying a couple of the Hobby King 4 or 6 channel Spehtrum knock-off Rxs. If this is possible then my next question is about the power. The Spectrum Rx appears to have a max voltage of 9.6. The Piper Cub uses a battery voltage of 11.1. If there a BEC or something that I would use to drop the voltage to prevent burning up the Rx?

Thanks!!

Enjoy the plane, I have one...just watch the replacement parts as they are generally backordered...I am not sure on the RX question...I have a Blade SR that came with a 6110E that is only rated to 9.6v but the battery pack is a 3 cell lipo at 11.1v...I am guessing there is a limiter of some kind, I dunno
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Most of their RTF airplanes use JR/Futaba style plugs so a spektrum should be fine. If it's electric, YES, the ESC will have a built in BEC sending 5.0V-4.8V to the Rx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp1200x View Post

Thanks!!

Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 06, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Most of their RTF airplanes use JR/Futaba style plugs so a spektrum should be fine. If it's electric, YES, the ESC will have a built in BEC sending 5.0V-4.8V to the Rx.
Thanks for the info!!
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert