Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:29 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Discussion
RVOSD & Aurora 9 - Program Switch for Autopilot

How do you program the 3-way switch on the Aurora 9 to operate the RVOSD autopilot?

I have an auxiliary channel plugged in and programmed to the RVOSD and associated with the 3-way switch (top left of radio) but the switch only seems to change the 3 main screens (standard OSD, radar view, blank screen) but doesn't launch any of the menus. Additionally, only the toggle-up seems to be activated and the the neutral and down positions have no effect on the OSD screens/menus.

Additionally I have the sensors connected and activated, the AHI is up and running...oh, but the GPS doesn't have any satellites because I am doing this in my home ...is that the reason it's not working?????

Thanks for any help!

Adam
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Last edited by AdamChicago; Oct 08, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
It is meant to be like that. You have the OSD set to output failsafes only in case of R/C link lost. So the auxiliary channel is not allowed to cycle the menu screen. The reason for this is because the menu screen will use the control sticks on the transmitter to navigate it. If the autopilot is not adjusted it cant take control of the plane while you navigate the menu. So if you are flying the model in 3rd person you could accidentally switch to menu screen and lost control of the plane without noticing it. So having the OSD set like it is now is pretty much a "3rd person flight mode".
Just set the menu item If R/C link lost to RTH and you will be able to navigate the autopilot menu with the transmitter.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:13 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Elcheapo, thanks for the quick and detailed response.

However I am a little confused because the RVOSD manual (gen 4) says you can toggle through autopilot menu items in-flight using specifically a 3-way switch you set to axillary-in. For example the manual states "The autopilot is turned ON and OFF using a spare R/C channel. The Aux in channel can be used to change the OSD screens, and activate/deactivate autopilot." So while in-flight you can choose to put the plane in "Level Flight Mode" or "Return To Home" or "Position Hold" at any time and from a 3-way toggle switch.

I can't get the switch to show any of these items.
Last edited by AdamChicago; Oct 08, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Changing If R/C link lost menu item to RTH will give you the autopilot menu navigation. Activate the termopiles(menu item: IR sensors installed) and you will have the artificial horizon and the ability to toggle thru the autopilot modes, return home, level flight, Heading hold, Position hold, Fly by wire and waypoint sequencer.
You have to set the If R/C link lost again to RTH after activating the thermopiles.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:17 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Excellent, I will try that tonight when I get home.

I do have the thermopiles enabled and AHI up on the screen. The only other issue I have is I'm testing this in the house so the GPS can't find any satellites.

Thank you very much for your help!!!
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:59 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Ok that allowed me to toggle through the screens but the toggle down still doesn't select any options. This is probably an Aurora 9 issue and not an RVOSD issue, but do you know how to program the toggle switch so that it works correctly with the RVOSD?
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
You need to assign a three position switch. Middle position to 50%, Top position 100% and bottom position 0%.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:01 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Ok I think it's working but I am so confused! If I toggle forward I get the different screens, toggling to the middle doesn't do anything, and toggle back only turns RTH off and on? But what if in the middle of a flight I want to switch to heading hold and then maybe a few minutes later switch to return to home? How do I toggle through the different autopilot options while in-flight?
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
You can go to the menu item Autopilot mode and change the mode. The auxiliary switch will activate/deactivate it. You can see how it is done here:

cularis fpv (13 min 30 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:27 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Thank so much for your help so far, it is appreciated!

However, after watching this video I realize that I still don't have the actual switch set up correctly because I wasn't able to toggle through the menu like is done in this video...ugh!

In your message before you said to set the toggle switch to 100%, 50% and 0%, but on the Aurora 9 you have to associate it with some sort of control, such as airbrake, flaps, Rudder-Aileron Mix etc...which control should I use? I tried airbrake, gear and Flaps2 without any success.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:32 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
The auxiliary switch will change screens and activate/deactivate autopilot mode. The menu navigation is done with the rudder/aileron and elevator inputs. I sugest you to read the instructions. Read the warnings and remember it also.

http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:33 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Thanks again...yep, the right stick controls the menu selections, so I am good to go now.

However, I couldn't find any reference in the RVOSD version 4 manual regarding using the right control stick to navigate the OSD menu while in flight. It only talks about using the 3 way toggle switch. Maybe I missed it but I read through a couple times and couldn't find that info.