SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by miniphase, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:54 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
Discussion
2m wing

I cut a set of cores several years ago and tried bagging them using wax paper as a carrier. It turned out far too difficult to get all the air bubbles out from under the paper, so I ended up with a patchy finish.

The cores sat sulking in the garage, I nearly binned them when I last moved house. The other week I pulled them out from the back of the shed and decided to do a quick lashup to get the wing flying.

Well I'm glad I didn't sling them out, the wing feels rock solid in the air. Handles conditions from about 4mph up to about 13mph and has a reasonable speed range despite the 12% section. A real stress free flyer, I'll have to make a tidier version at some point.

flap design thread here

Update...the wing has flown in 20mph wind, probably its upper limit. The coastal air was very smooth which must have helped, and the model felt solid and stable. I've always been an advocate for more reward cg positions and all the data says I could move it further back on this wing. However I'm not sure I'll bother as I like it just the way it is.

flying wing at Minster (0 min 54 sec)

and here it is with functioning flaps

miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Last edited by miniphase; Oct 28, 2010 at 03:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2014, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Hi!

Axay here. I am on this wing's tail!!

Would you recommend some foam cutting videos?
theshredder is offline Find More Posts by theshredder
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:13 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
Hi Axay

Here is my method for cutting foam wings.

cutting foam wings (2 min 0 sec)

and don't forget to include washout when cutting!
Old Jan 05, 2014, 01:06 AM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
cool music, sir!

I am thinking of powering this one up with an electric motor. Please suggest ideal motor setup.

once again, groovy music ! =)
theshredder is offline Find More Posts by theshredder
Old Jan 08, 2014, 10:27 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
I'm a glider man mostly so motor set ups aren't my strong point. The prototype came in at around 650g, so if you allow say another 250g for motor esc and battery, you've got a couple of lbs auw, so probably be wise to stay above 150 watts, go for a lower kv motor maybe around 900 or so? Remember this model has a thick wing section so treat it more like a powered glider than a speed wing.

Hope this helps!