SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:43 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,385 Posts
Discussion
Active Stabilization System - Quick Update

Thought I'd post a quick video showing how the bike does on road in it's current state.

Keep in mind I'm still using the old Ricky Carmichael tires so they don't provide the best grip on pavement. Also, the crashbars are cut a bit too short so if the bike leans too far when it isn't moving fast enough it will fall. It also can't get back up once it falls. I have longer crashbars now, just haven't gotten around to putting them on the bike. I had the opportunity to shoot some video today so I just ran the bike as is.

I'm currently updating the pc board with all the lessons learned from this one. Then I'll be installing it on a more proper on road bike. The off road design is still being tweaked and I still need some better tires so I can do some runs in the dirt.

Oh, by the way - the person driving the bike in this video had never used an r/c bike before this. In fact I handed the controls to two guys at work today and they both were able to run the bike just fine.

Dave

1/4 scale r/c motorcycle: Active Stabilization System - On Road Testing (1 min 24 sec)
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 05:34 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,776 Posts
So for road bikes, you think this would still allow bike to lean low into turns without fighting the driver to stand upright? Also, whats the smallest scale bike you think this could scale down to work with?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:52 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,385 Posts
I just threw this together to show a few tighter turns. It doesn't fight you at all to stand up. You can accelerate while turning and it'll do a decent job of staying down. You might have to steer a little more into the turn, but since the springs aren't there, you're more in control. You can also easily drive it right into the ground if you're not careful.

The lean does follow your stick inputs though. When you return the center so does the bike. You don't have to accelerate to straighten up. You can probably speed up the process by doing so, but it'll steer itself to be upright if that's where you put the stick.

And again, keep in mind the controls were in the hands of someone who has never done this before.

As far as scaling down, I'm not sure... What do you have in mind?

1/4 scale r/c motorcycle: A few low-leaning turns (1 min 4 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:36 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,783 Posts
That is really amazing Dave.

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
looks great! so the rear wheel is hollow? no flywheel?
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old Oct 09, 2010, 01:31 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,776 Posts
I was just curious how much space the electronics takes up in the bike.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Oct 09, 2010, 01:07 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,385 Posts
Thanks guys!

Yes, the rear wheel is empty - except for a few 5/8" steel dowel pins that I added around the perimeter to see what the additional weight would do while off road.

Currently I'm using standard components hand soldered on a Radio Shack prototype board. Done with surface mount components it's all about the size of a modern r/c receiver.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:12 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
hey Dave...just PM'd you, want to ask you a couple questions as you seem to be the Ricky "guru" around here lol....also wanted to ask about getting my hands on a fork brace...please PM/email me...thanks

p.s. did you know your website isn't accepting emails?
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero