SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
Question
Current draw static Vs. in flight

What would be the difference in current draw from static to the current draw in flight @ WOT?
Richardmid1 is offline Find More Posts by Richardmid1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:41 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
Hard to say. Depends mostly on what pitch prop you are using and what revs it is running although there are other factors.
If you reckon in flight your actual current draw will just sneak under the limit of your ESC when it would go over the top static then I reckon you would be pushing your luck.
On the other hand if at WOT your amps are just inside the limit then you will probably be flying with enough of a margin - but provide plenty of cooling air.

Several people are posting the traces from EagleTree data loggers now. The trouble is I have not yet seen one with the current noted at WOT static and flying. I may just have missed it of course.
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:56 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I'd like to say 'gee, this is easy because when the plane is moving the air is already going past the prop so static must be larger' but these things can be counter-intuitive.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 07, 2010, 01:50 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
The general consensus is that current draw in flight will be slightly lower.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 07, 2010, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
I guess it also depends on the airframe drag. Im going to do a flight with my watt meter plugged in at the weekend and see what it says. Ill launch at 1/2 throttle, do one level WOT pass then land.
Richardmid1 is offline Find More Posts by Richardmid1
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:09 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,520 Posts
So your watt meter has memory and can show you the numbers after you land? Wish my Astro did that!
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:14 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,562 Posts
Quote:
I guess it also depends on the airframe drag
Airframe drag is one of the biggest factors. A plane with a lot of drag (Slow Stick) will fly much slower than the prop wants to (the pitchspeed), whereas a plane with very little drag (Sokol) will fly very close (within a few %) to the pitchspeed of the prop because there's very little to slow the plane down. Think of dropping a rock and a feather. The closer you get to pitchspeed, the more efficient your motor/prop becomes because they have to shove less air out of the way to make a revolution and their overall work load decreases. There are WAY better ways of explaining it

Now, our illustrative Slow Stick's motor might draw 18.7A on the bench in static testing and then drop to like 16.2A in the air at WOT. The Sokol, on the other hand, might say 33A static but only 28.5A in the air. These numbers are just plucked from the proverbial hat, of course, but they work.

Man, that'd be a fast little Sokol

***In the case of SOME very high-rpm, coarse-pitched setups (mostly small pylon racers and the like) the prop will actually be stalled (same idea as a wing, really, but spinning) in static testing and then load up in the air (a stalled wing is carrying very little of the plane's weight; a stalled prop is producing very little thrust. Same idea), so the in-flight draw will be higher than the static. You're not likely to have this issue but it's useful info.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀