Every think is clear now.

Really apreciated.
jet A is offline Find More Posts by jet A
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:26 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,583 Posts
britnoz, thanks a lot for the tip on the rotor head. It took a while, but then I had a Eureka moment and understood what you were talking about.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:15 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
You have to run with the model. Well......, not actually run, you end up doing this wierd looking kinda run. Gliding along akwardly holding a model over your head, and a transmitter on your neck all the while trying not to bounce as you run. It's a real hoot to see others doing it!
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
G' Day Rattlesnake.
I think that Mike [Boneswamped] put it pretty good.
But I must admit that flying an Autogyro takes patience and some times the weather is just not suitable to fly.I think that it is better to come back tomorrow when the wind may be OK, rather than try to fly today,when you know that it is not.
That is the time you fly one of your fixed wing models.
G'Day Earlwb
Yes ,I know what you mean.I have been flying these machines for a couple of year , and I missed it also. That's why I put in 2 pic's .to show right from wrong.Glad you have it now.
Happy Landings Gents
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:47 AM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
About gyro settings

Hi,
some remarks about my LA HELI Cierva. I'll do a copy/paste of those settings on HK's one just to to avoid first flight problems, since both models are very similar.
Rotor : 6° back (neutral position)
CG : when model is hung by the rotor mast with a string, nose must be heavy and go a little down, rotor gets horizontal.
Throws : a lot !! the manufacturer says 8° movements for the rotor, it's not enough. 10/12° is the minimum in my opinion to have good response in any situation. With the manufacturer settings, model does not react fast enough to be saved near the ground. Delta mix on rotor servos and thread lock fluid to secure screws.
Motor : 6° down, 5° right
Take off : first launch rotor by hand, model is held 45% nose up facing the wind so the rotor can turn faster, just like a windmill (autorotation). Blades must "whistle", hand feels when the rotor can lift it, make a few quick steps then gently launch it with nose a little up into with 60 % throttle. Without wind, a little run is necessary to get turns. Ground take off : never tried but should be possible on a smooth surface.
Throttle up to climb, down to descend, never cut off, the elevator stick must be pulled a lot in case of sharp turn or model looses altitude.
Stable in flight but be careful about flight direction ! Even with good eyes sometimes it's difficult to estimate with rotor models, unlike airplanes. Colours may help...
Landing : into wind with a little throttle and elevator stick back. Important : just like in many rc helicopters blades are attached with one bolt only (never with 2) so they can fold if the rotor hits the ground (and it does often because of my pilot skills). Rigid fixation will break the blade or the rotor mechanism in case of bad landing. Rotor is light but it has a lot of kinetic energy.
After a serious crash, rotor parts can be re-used (not the depron fuselage of LA HELI's Cierva, it's very fragile) : I made a copy of the Rotorshape model with the same settings described above, it's a reliable sweet flier. Added rudder control : FUN !

Hope it will help to set up and enjoy your gyro,
Xavier
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Last edited by XavierM; Oct 31, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:28 AM
Houston
Joined Jan 2002
642 Posts
can someone tell me what is this mystery part for? Thanks
hokonghing is offline Find More Posts by hokonghing
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:41 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
857 Posts
Two side stands connect to and that part connect to the central main stand/shaft, the fiberglass part also should fix to that piece as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokonghing View Post
can someone tell me what is this mystery part for? Thanks
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:51 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
I had a little bit of a heavy landing today and broke the 8 mm sq mast.I was very suprised
to find that the hardwood mast was not very hard .I snapped the remaining piece in my hand with ease.The funny thing is that the 8 mm piece of sq wood running the length of the Fuz is a heavier grade than the mast.I think that possibly the wrong grade of timber has been used.I have now used a piece of carbon arrow shaft as the mast.It wont break again.
Chris.....
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:52 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,331 Posts
Flying Styro Cierva

Hobby Lobby used to sell a Cierva made by Flying Styro (joint venture with LAHeli)

http://www.flyingstyrokit.cz/offer_c...ghlight=cierva

Flying Styro Cierva C 30 Autogyro - 21-1/2" in length, 9" high, rotor span 26-3/4", 14 oz. flying weight. The "Cierva C 30" is a hybrid, part helicopter and part airplane. It was produced from 1933 until 1945 and used for aerial observation and also served on aircraft carriers. Construction is straight forward but more involved than some of the other Flying Styro models. All foam parts are molded and come pre-painted. Kit includes all hardware, pushrods, balsa blades, foam wheels, landing gear struts and prop adapter. A scale molded pilot figure is also included as well as the complete radial engine. You will need to install your radio gear, 2 mini servos, a 12 amp speed controller and at least a 4 channel receiver with delta mixing. Using the recommended motor and 7x4 prop with a 1320 mAh 3-cell lithium polymer battery, you can expect 10-15 minutes of flying time. Comes with photo illustrated instruction manual and water-slide decal set.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=cierva

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=cierva

The size is about the same as the FS/LAHeli version.

Length of 21 1/2" = 546mm close to 590mm quoted in HK specs.

The FS/LAHeli version flies beautifully. Found a youtube vid of the FS/LAHeli below.

Cierva C-30 RC Autogyro (1 min 51 sec)

Instructions for FA/LAHeli at the link below

www.laheli.com/files/navody/Cierva_manual_CZEN.pdf

Might be useful as a guide for the HK (Art Tech?) Cierva.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 07, 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Instructions
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:44 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jan 2010
914 Posts
bump...may want to get one of these...
JettaManDan is offline Find More Posts by JettaManDan
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:49 AM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
bump...may want to get one of these...
Me too, and I ordered it October 19... It was on backorder (-16), but still not in stock! Seems like its 85 people waiting now. But looking forward to it when it finally arrives.
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,331 Posts
In Stock Hobbyking

It's back in stock!

Please join my swarm sale on this!

US$51.60 !!!!!!!!!! if we swarm!

How to join the swarm:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14291

Click on link above.
Scroll to bottom of page.
Click on Swarm button.
Enter 38266 in the lower window where it says "enter code"
Click Join Button

Wait to see if we get 5 other people to sign up.

Post a reply if you signed up...

Thanks

Update We're out on the 12 hour limit. See 2 posts down. Tieto started a new swarm! see 3 posts down.
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 12, 2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Update
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
Anything that flies
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2005
55 Posts
I joined the swarm yesterday Oz time.It had 3 out of 6 joined then.
odonata is offline Find More Posts by odonata
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,331 Posts
Setting up Swarm for Cierva Gyrocopter

I think we fell out on the 12 hour limit.

So far the following have joined the swarm

deadduck (+8 hrs GMT)
angelfood (-8 hrs GMT)
odonata

We need your time zone, because we need to coordinate when to hit the swarm.

Anybody else want to join, post a reply quoting this message.

Once we have 6 people, I'll start a swarm, send everybody a pm and we can all jump in.
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 12, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Not sure how this swarm thing works, but I tried to start a new one. I guess it will be nice to have a spare one of these!
http://www.hobbyking.com/SwarmSale.asp?id=38602

Come on, and join on code 38602 everybody!

(Gotta travel early tomorrow morning, and can't check back in the next 16 hours or so.)
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi