HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:06 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,789 Posts
G'Day Turbo
Re the LA 500.
I myself have had no experence with this model,although it looks to me as if there have been some 'teething' problems. It does bolt togerther like a heli so it could be OK for your requirments . Re a larger model ,there is not a big range,but I have built a couple of 'Dags' and have had great success with them. They are a balsa model ,that are of a very simple and easy construction and I do believe that the Flying Balsa "Scout' is also a good first model.
If you were looking for a smaller model that would take the electrics from your C-30 ,then the 'Spyro 111' and the 'Minimum' are what you are looking for.I have both these models and are very happy with there flight performance.You can even use your C-30 rotors on these models. If you look in my blog you will find videos of all three of these models flying.
Chris............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
Thanks Britnoz. Who makes the Minimum,spiro,,and Dag kits I liked your videos very much!!!
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:31 AM
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
294 Posts
Some Info on the LA500 here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243267

Rather over priced and very fragile.

Regards, M
minirotor is offline Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,789 Posts
Turbo
Im glad you like the models as you can see they are all fine fliers.
The 'Minimum' designed by Jocken K is available in PDF from RC groupes some were possibly on the second page (you will have to hunt unless any one else can tell you) and also if I remember corectly from; Aero Balsa blades'
in PDF . The SPYRO 111 is designed by Rich Harris is also in PDF from "SPYRO 111 and the rest is up to you' lower on this same page of RC groupes. The Dag plan designed by Dave Surace is available from 'Jodini'
Happy Hunting
Chris............
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:11 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,508 Posts
What do you think of this one Chris?

http://www.flyingbalsa.com/Doozy_Kit

I like what I've read in the forums about the Doozy thus far, and I like that it's a bit bigger/heavier and uses larger motors/esc/lipos that I already have onhand.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The Scout looks rather interesting too.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:43 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
Thanks for the info guys. The Scout looks rather interesting too.
Im part way into building a Scout. I didnt realize from the pics that it was a "profile" design when I purchased it. I kind of like the full fuselage of the Doozy, but if the Scout flies as well as its reported to, im sure I can look past her slim build and fall in love. I need something good in autogyro's now as the HK C30 has slapped me about a bit. My C30 broke its blades last flight after a nice hand launch it got away well, and all was looking great, then she just rolled in and hit the road. I had it at full throttle throughout the flight to no avail. If HobbyKing ever restock the blades I ordered 3 months ago i'll probably fit a much larger motor, and compensate the weight gain with reduced battery size and perhaps a 3B prop if one is availlable. Ive glued the blades together and sat her on the shelf for now and plan on finishing off my Scout, before my CopterX500 project gets under way in a few weeks time

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:46 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,508 Posts
What motor/battery are you currently running in the C30 Mick?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,789 Posts
I my self have not had a model from Flying Balsa (yet) but as far as I can see,all the guys flying them seem to be pretty happy with them, and I believe that they have a damn good service and follow up program. I do intend to try the 'Scout ' as soon as I am financial .
I think you only have to go and look at Mikes (Boneswamped) videos to see how good the 'Scout ' flies.
Happy Landings
Chris..............
Last edited by britinoz; Aug 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:41 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
What motor/battery are you currently running in the C30 Mick?
I tried TowerPro2409-18 1000kv and a 1600kv with a 9x3.8 prop combined with a rhino 1550 3s lipo. All up weight last flight was about 710grams. All under powered.

Anyway the project is resting for now
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
[QUOTE I need something good in autogyro's now as the HK C30 has slapped me about a bit. My C30 broke its blades last flight after a nice hand launch it got away well, and all was looking great, then she just rolled in and hit the road. I had it at full throttle throughout the flight to no avail. If HobbyKing ever restock the blades I ordered 3 months ago i'll probably fit a much larger motor, and compensate the weight gain with reduced battery size and perhaps a 3B prop if one is availlable. Ive glued the blades together and sat her on the shelf for now and plan on finishing off my Scout, before my CopterX500 project gets under way in a few weeks time

Mick[/QUOTE]

I frankly wouldn't buy another set of blades for the HK Cierva from Hobby King.
I would make your own bigger blades. I did after Britnoz advised me to and gave me a link for the plans on this thread in the beginning somewhere. I made my blades an inch longer but they are 1/3 rd wider than the stock blades. I did my first flights on my home made blades. After a few flights I tried the stock blades and they had much less lift and flew much heavier than my blades. After that flight I took the stock blades off and never used them again.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:09 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
I frankly wouldn't buy another set of blades for the HK Cierva from Hobby King.
I would make your own bigger blades. I did after Britnoz advised me to and gave me a link for the plans on this thread in the beginning somewhere. I made my blades an inch longer but they are 1/3 rd wider than the stock blades. I did my first flights on my home made blades. After a few flights I tried the stock blades and they had much less lift and flew much heavier than my blades. After that flight I took the stock blades off and never used them again.
Yes I read that previously, as I follow this thread. I ordered a spare set of HK blades a week or so after purchasing the C30. Its no big deal. I know the C300 can fly with the stock blades as its looked quite good air borne a few times, before the inexplicable roll in to ground. Early on when I had my engine angle well under it would fly straight up and even looped twice on differant flights after falling out of the sky nearly vertical. When I set the engine angle at 8*down it took off nicly from both hand launch and ROG, but it tended to fly fairly flat regardless of throttle being maxed out it didnt tend to rise, so i think the engine angle could be reduced to what a previous poster quoted at 6deg or there abouts. The model itself seems quite robust to me considering the amount of times I crashed it and then got it airborne again after minor repairs. Blades though seem in short supply unless as you say I make them. Ordering a set of Scout blades from Aerobalsa would be another option yet a costly one when you combine $30blades PH to Australia, plus covering material. The blades end up running around $50 a set that way, which is not too bad i guess compared to scale heli blades.

Just as a matter of interest, is an autogyro's head speed too low for symetrical heli blades such as these 550 heli blades, or do they fail to autorotate efficiently?

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6596

or are semi-symetrical a must?

some of these woodies are reasonbly well priced also-

Link- http://www.robsrchelispares.co.uk/in...Blade_Covering

Mick
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
It is my understanding that heli blades will not work as they are symmetrical.
It is very easy to make your own.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:41 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Im part way into building a Scout. I didnt realize from the pics that it was a "profile" design when I purchased it. I kind of like the full fuselage of the Doozy, but if the Scout flies as well as its reported to, im sure I can look past her slim build and fall in love. I need something good in autogyro's now as the HK C30 has slapped me about a bit. My C30 broke its blades last flight after a nice hand launch it got away well, and all was looking great, then she just rolled in and hit the road. I had it at full throttle throughout the flight to no avail. If HobbyKing ever restock the blades I ordered 3 months ago i'll probably fit a much larger motor, and compensate the weight gain with reduced battery size and perhaps a 3B prop if one is availlable. Ive glued the blades together and sat her on the shelf for now and plan on finishing off my Scout, before my CopterX500 project gets under way in a few weeks time

Mick
Hello Mick,

I can tell you from experience that the Scout flies very well. It's very predictable, and turns without issues in both directions. The power off to the ground is very gentle requiring a monor flare at the bottom. I like a bit more hang angle than the plan, but certainly not LESS.

The only negative thing about the Scout is orientation. Like you said She's a profile, and can be very difficult to seee if you get too far away. It's easy to keep close because it flys so stable. Check my videos.

Anything from flying balsa is a better choice than the HK garbage. But hey you get what you pay for.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
Hey Boneswamped,,I've been checking out your thread on the Scout,,nice job and nice flying. How about some more videos of her flying??
I am considering the Scout as well as the LA500