HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:07 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Sep 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
My vid was the tutorial, it was a joke that didnt work
I got it! but perhaps the title should have been "how (NOT) to take off with this gyro"

actually with every failure is the seed for success! thanks for posting it. i have yet to even complete my build. for some reason buying pillows at WalMart was more important this weekend oh well. good job on getting yours built and a video to boot of the "maiden"
microraver is offline Find More Posts by microraver
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:09 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
the_rattlesnake,
OH, Ok, I wasn't sure at the time.
That roll to the right seems to be pretty common with a lot of smaller RC helicopters too. One has to sort of, blip the right cyclic as it lifts off, or it rolls off to the left as well. its probably like what mentioned in the first thread in this category on the aerodynamic characteristics of a autogyro.
I surmise that until one gets it trimmed out Ok, its probably better to hand launch, so you have a teensy extra bit of time to react to it.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
Flying Hobby King C 30 Autogyro

Today I had three flights with this model.Hand launched it flew stable and reasonable easy to fly..I have placed a few pictures ,that may help beginners to this side of the hobby.
PIC1 shows the model being held in to the wind to spin up the Rotor .The motor is not required yet.You should be able to feel the model pulling back on your arm at this point. [If you cant. then the rotor is not up to speed].
PIC 2 Shows the motor being started and moving into the launch position [The rotor usually slows a little at this position.] It may not need full throttle ,but enough to feel the model just trying to pull foward out of your hand.
PIC 3 Shows the model at point of launch .not a steep angle , just a firm level push.

If the model climbs steeply on take ,reduce throttle before making trim changes.This model requires a lot of back stick when turning.
If the model drops[It usually does a little] apply more power When flying an Autogyro the increase in power is used to climb as well as the elevator.
All of my other Autogyros have a ''Light ..Floaty'' feel but this has a very heavy feel to it.
The motor and prop are the same as I have used in my Minimun & Spyro models but before I fly this again I have to play with other combinations
There are a couple of flying shots just to prove it does fly.
Rattle snake, the chance of finding a Cricket pitch that faces directly into the wind and allows you enough time to get the rotor to speed is pushing it ,i think.
The reason your model flipped to the left was you tried to take off before the Rotor was spinning fast enough.It's just like trying to fly a fixed wing model ,without a wing.With the hand Launch method ,it allows the Rotor to come up to speed and the model has airspeed and height at the point of launch. This method should be tried a few times before releasing the model.
Happy Landings
Chris..........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 26, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:52 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Sep 2009
103 Posts
britinoz: i noticed you made a new set of blades (post 42). Are you using these blades now or are the original ones OK to use? hand launching looks like the way to go but i know i'll be super nervous when i try it!

thanks for your guidance

microraver
microraver is offline Find More Posts by microraver
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
Mines faster than your's
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2007
725 Posts
I fail miserably everytime I try to hand launch a model, so I have a rule. Never hand launch. Will this model do a rog takeoff? I like the first pic "no motor yet" and no transmitter either! Good thing it magically appears in pic two.

On a side note, isnt Elizabeth South close to Edinburgh RAAF base? Just curious, the name sounds familiar....
Texasredrider is offline Find More Posts by Texasredrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:32 PM
Houston
Joined Jan 2002
642 Posts
Britnoz, do you put down thrust on the propeller?
what motor, propeller and battery used, nice to see her fly, will start mine now
hokonghing is offline Find More Posts by hokonghing
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
OK Guy's Here we go with some answers.
Microraver...The blades that I have used are the ones I made myself.For some reason I could not get the head assemble and blades to generate any lift although after Rich [Safelandings] has advised that his work OK,so I am sure the blades in the kit are OK to use. Re the hand launch.It is the best way to go,I am only trying to give information that has taken me several years find out. Practice this method several times before attempting a launch. If you just run up and through the model into the air with no preparation, then you will come unstuck Good Luck.

Tex Re ROG You saw Rattlesnake's video ''Didn't you????'' so I give you the same advise ''HAND LAUNCH''..
Re my TX in pic 1 '' It's all done with Mirrors''
And yes you are correct ,I live in Elizabeth in South Australia with the airbase only about 6 km away. I have all the OZ Military machines in the air around where I live and very close to my flying club. ''Great''
Hokongking Another Texan You will find that there is 1.5 deg of down thrust on the front former of this model. Most tractor type Autogyros run with approx 6 deg of down thrust ,so you will have to make a spacer to correct this situation.[this is a very important feature].The motor and Prop combination I used for the test flights was not the best combination for this model. [Emax cf 2812 with a 8 x 3.8 sf prop] I will be changing today to an Emax cf 2822 with a 9 x 4.7 SF prop. I believe this should be a lot better. I believe that H/King advise something like a 6 x 5 / 7 x 5 ,I can not agree with this.[but try it if you want ] I used a 2250 25 c 3cell lipo.I would normally not use this size battery with this motor,but weight was required in the nose to get the 'Hang Angle' correct.I had to remove some of the timber in the bottom of the second former to get this batter in position.
Another modification made was to use a lighter gauge wire push rod to the rudder.The wire supplied will put a big strain on the rudder servo. Remember to use MG BB servos on the head. Anyone using plastic gear servos will find that they will not take the load for long. When the rotor is spinning you will find that it takes a lot to move it.
I also found it strange that the two main wheels were 35mm and the tail wheel was 40 mm. I changed the mains to 45 mm and the tail was fixed with a 15 mm [I did not fit the moveable bracket].try to get the tail as light as possible.
Ok Guys its up to you now.. Good Luck....
Happy Landings
Chris...............
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
Houston
Joined Jan 2002
642 Posts
britinoz: thanks, what about right thrust, is this needed?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:14 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
908 Posts
Found on youtube
HK Cierva C30 semi scale autogiro test flight (1 min 53 sec)
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
G' Day Hokonghing,
I have no side thrust on my set up.
Now this is important,if you watch the previous video on You Tube,you will notice that he mentions that the Rotor plate had been constructed reversed by Hobby King.
I now realize that was my problem also. I did not notice that..
Chris...........
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 27, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:58 AM
Spain
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Sorry gents, I,m not sure to understand what means reversed the rotor plate.

Someone Can help me ?

Thanks in advance
jet A is offline Find More Posts by jet A
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:15 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
Jet A,
Just looked at your head on the photo you posted and yours is the wrong way around. The rotor mount plate is angled back, when the blades lift this will give you positive incidence which is wrong. They should be swept forwards so when they lift it creates negative incidence.

Hope this helps

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Last edited by SafeLandings; Oct 28, 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
Houston
Joined Jan 2002
642 Posts
I got it, unscrew the 3-2mm blots on the blue holding plate and the center 4mm blot so that the whole blade mount plate can be flip up set down and re-mount the whole thing and you will end up with what show on post #72 from safelanding's photo, now you also need to remount all blots so that they are right side up.

thanks...safelandings
Old Oct 29, 2010, 03:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
Get this correct.

The set up in the first picture will not generate any lift. The second is good.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 03:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
how do you hand launch when he wind isnt enough to autorotate?
It isnt often windy enough where I fly for a run/hand launch.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake