SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:59 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,710 Posts
Xavier.
That was so good to see some one having some luck with this model. Very nice to see it fly with left and right turns ,[not all Autogyros want to turn to the right]. Was this your first attempt to fly an Autogyro??
Happy Landings
Chris..........

Duck OK
Chris......
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:10 PM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
It's my second autogyro, the first was a Rotorshape from LA HELI (excellent model to learn about autogyros, can be easily repaired). Something tells me it won't be the last, those weird machines are fascinating !!
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Last edited by XavierM; Dec 01, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:13 PM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
OK-efficient meaning powerful? So how would it be used in a manoeuvre for example?
Yes, if you want to you can use the rudder to turn while flying, just like on an ordinary airplane model.
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:01 AM
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
267 Posts
Gyro Rudders

Cross wind landings/taxing and showing off flying sideways[in a sbreeze] is about all the use of a rudder on a gyro.

It will not turn much if you use the rudder with a single rotor machine.

M
minirotor is offline Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:31 AM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck View Post

From post #74

It's upside down
thank you, I'll fix this bug
Lucam is offline Find More Posts by Lucam
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
My pirep: IT FLIES!

Now, for the details: (1) I hand-launched and waited for the whoop-whoop, and just let go, (2) it rose into the air quickly and began to roll left and I straightened it out, making (3) two or three circuits (too scared to remember), and (4) faced the 8 knot wind to land, but (5) apparently didn't have it directly into the wind, so (6) it rolled left a little, or just enough at flair to (7) hit the blades!

The plastic flexing part that connects the blades to the head seperated on two blades, so I guess until I can repair them, or get new ones, I'm out of action.

However, this short flight proved that a first time autogyro guy can fly this one (I recommend at least 50% expo on all non-rudder axes), and I'm hooked!

Thanks to Bone dude and everyone else who helped me get airborne.

O.K., Duck, you are up: good thing you bought two!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:15 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,776 Posts
Go Angel! You've given the rest of us hope!

Owl
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:52 PM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post
go angel! You've given the rest of us hope! :d:d:d

owl
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:10 PM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Many thanks to Deadduck, that showed me my head (my ROTOR head, I mean) was upside down; hope now it's ok

Now for me it's time to mount the blades. First of all, I need to balance;
so I weight all three blades separately, and I was pleased to see they are really similar: 19.3, 19.0 and 18.9 grams; less than half a gram in difference from the most heavy and the most light, this sounds really good.
To obtain a balanced rotor, I added some tape at each blade CoG; to find blade CoG, It's enough a stencil, as shown in pic:

(Just for my friend Carlo: Accidenti, c'avevi ragione, era al contrario)

Of course one can use transparent or silver tape, but I like red

Next, I simply screwed the blades in place; YES, the reference hole are under the film

I used nylon screws in the rear hole. In case of rotor strike, MAYBE the nylon screw will fail and void further damage to the head, the mast and augurably the blade itself; I hope so, anyway

And now it starts to looks like a gyrocopter
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:15 PM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
My very first home rotation sounds good: smooth, clear and without appreciable vibrations (at low RPM, ok)

(Just for my friend Carlo: Va che bel flappeggio, secondo me basta e avanza)

autotest.wmv (0 min 30 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Lucam, my blades are intact after the "strike:" it's the clear plastic film, on the bottom, that ripped apart.

As one blade is still attached to the hub, I'll take that one apart and use the plastic piece for a template assuming I can find similar plastic.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:39 PM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Lucam, my blades are intact after the "strike:" it's the clear plastic film, on the bottom, that ripped apart.

As one blade is still attached to the hub, I'll take that one apart and use the plastic piece for a template assuming I can find similar plastic.
oops... on the bottom did you said?
It's the same plastic I used as a washer in this pic?

ehm...
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
It's the plastic sheet, between the two white plastic pieces: the blade flexes at this point.

I wish these things weren't backordered.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:26 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post

Maybe the clear plastic cd "protectors" that come with 50 cd packs?
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:47 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,710 Posts
Lucam
The plastic screws you put in place hoping to fail in the case of a crash,may not save your blades, I doubt if they will break. May I suggest that you use some short lengths of balsa stick approx 3mm square pushed into the inner bolt holes.They will hold the blades in position and allow you to gently spin the blades ,but will fail on contact allowing the blade to move .I have been using this method for years.They can extent out of the top and bottom of the assembly.I would also suggest that you mount the small bolts on the blade base the other way up as they can damage the blades ,the way they are at the moment.
Happy Landings
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz