HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:00 PM
Anything that flies
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2005
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierM View Post
...you pay attention to the rotor head : mine was mounted upside down in the kit. A friend got his correctly mounted....
Video (bad quality, sorry, better ones to come) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQiXSVissc
Equipment and settings :
1200 KV brusless motor, APC 9,4,7 prop, HK 20 amps controller, 9 grams standard servos (2,69 $), Rhino 1550 3s battery. Very good flight characteristics, easy, original and pleasant to flight and listen (flopflopflop...)
Rotor : 90 with the mast (neutral position) CG : when model is hung by the rotor mast with a string, nose must be heavy and go a little down, rotor gets horizontal. Throws : at least 8 movements for the rotor, to have good response in any situation. Delta mix on rotor servos and thread lock fluid to secure screws. Take off : first launch rotor by hand, model is held 45% nose up facing the wind so the rotor can turn faster, just like a windmill (autorotation). Blades must "whistle", hand feels when the rotor can lift it, make a few quick steps then gently launch it with nose a little up into with 50 % throttle. Without wind, a little run is necessary to get turns. Ground take off : never tried but should be possible on a smooth surface. Throttle up to climb, down to descend, never cut off, the elevator stick must be pulled a lot in case of sharp turn or model looses altitude. Landing : into wind with a little throttle and elevator stick back. Important : just like in many rc helicopters blades are attached with one bolt only (never with 2) so they can fold if the rotor hits the ground. Rigid fixation will break the blade or the rotor mechanism in case of bad landing. Rotor is light but it has a lot of kinetic energy. Enjoy yours !
Thanks for the video and information-very useful!
One question-do you use the rudder when you fly it.I am not sure whether it is necessary to have the rudder at all as many gyros fly well without one and I don't need to taxi it.
odonata is offline Find More Posts by odonata
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:02 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Don't make up spare masts.......just review post #200, and all the other ROG/Hand launch advice.

Hang in there Angelfood; if autogyros were easy all the other clowns(besides us) would be flying them too.

-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:10 PM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Odonata, it's not really useful in flight since all the necessary controls are in the rotor. But it's very efficient !
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:15 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Will suggest to HobbyKing they stock Spare masts.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:16 PM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
Thanks for the video and information-very useful!
One question-do you use the rudder when you fly it.I am not sure whether it is necessary to have the rudder at all as many gyros fly well without one and I don't need to taxi it.
Odonata, it's not really useful in flight since all the necessary controls are in the rotor. But it's very efficient !
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
And mast/servo mounts-my mast is glued into it-not bt me!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
And mast/servo mounts-my mast is glued into it-not bt me!
They probably used CA, try CA debonder?
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:56 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Some history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_la_Cierva

From the article above

A predominant problem with the autogiro was driving the rotor prior to takeoff. Several methods were attempted in addition to the coiled rope system, which could take the rotor speed to 50% of that required, at which point movement along the ground to reach flying speed was necessary, while tilting the rotor to establish autorotation.

Another approach was to tilt the tail stabiliser to deflect engine slipstream up through the rotor. The most acceptable solution was finally achieved with the C.19, which was produced in some quantities; a direct drive from the engine to the rotor was fitted, through which the rotor could be accelerated up to speed. The system was then declutched prior to executing the take-off run.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:58 PM
Anything that flies
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2005
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierM View Post
OK-efficient meaning powerful? So how would it be used in a manoeuvre for example?
odonata is offline Find More Posts by odonata
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
I strongly suspect I never achieved adequate blade speed, but I did as instruction and let it lift itself off-I suspect I should have goosed the throttle just prior to it lifting, but how to know?

I'll hand launch the next time-I certainly can't do any worse, relatively speaking.

Oh, I forgot to mention: THE "LANDING" GEAR FOLDED LIKE A BERNARD MADOFF "investment" scheme!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:18 PM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
@angelfood: I've broken my first scracht-buildt gyro exactly for the same reason: take off from ground

I'll try ROG again, but only with a gyro perfectly trimmed and tested with MANY hand launch flight.

Some work added, mast assembled

I found that Hitec HS 56 karbonite servos fits exaxctly the (LITTLE!) space for rotor servos. Putting in place is a bit tricky because the space is really tight

The motor will be a Robbe 2830/12 spinning a 10x7 propeller; 900 KV with 2S (7.4V) 1550 Rhino cells and 25A Esc; theoretically, a 140 W setup.
Lucam is offline Find More Posts by Lucam
Last edited by Lucam; Dec 01, 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: type mismatch
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:21 PM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Just a question!
A friend of mine, much skilled than me in gyros, warned me his specimen has the rotor head mounted upside down!

I'm unsure I understood how the head can be reversed, and if mine is upside down too or not...

What do you think, is my head OK or I need to fix something?

Thank you!

Lucam is offline Find More Posts by Lucam
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucam View Post
Just a question!
A friend of mine, much skilled than me in gyros, warned me his specimen has the rotor head mounted upside down!

I'm unsure I understood how the head can be reversed, and if mine is upside down too or not...

What do you think, is my head OK or I need to fix something?

Thank you!

From post #74

It's upside down
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:09 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
Duck
Your head plate is upside down. It will NOT fly Flip it over the other way
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:26 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
Duck
Your head plate is upside down. It will NOT fly Flip it over the other way
Chris...........
Hi Chris,

Flipping it was the first thing I did in the build. Thanks to your post #74.

My post above was addressed to Lucam.